Calves at my college

Help Support CattleToday:

kim

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm aloud to mention the name of my college or anything so I wont but here are 4 of the 16 calves we're taking to Los Angeles County Fair in september.

These are the smaller ones that we've just started to halter break. These pictures are from their first tie down. I'll take some more as we get the prettier 'showy-er' calves up from the dry lot.

I'm not for certain where these calves come from, I don't know if they're bred on the campus farm or if they're swapped with another college near by. I know we have 15+ cows that are bred yearly but I do not know if these calves are certainly produced on campus.

calf1.jpg

calf2.jpg

calf3.jpg

calf4.jpg

Aanndd if you ignore the smog and the building and the uhh dry dead grassy hills this is the splendid view from the cattle barn.

california_smog.jpg

But really on days when the smog isn't too bad you can see for
miles. It's not the greatest but it's the best I've got...

I hope these pictures work...the instructions mentions a bcc code box which I couldn't locate...so if they don't work then the pics are located in the galleries....

I agree I like them, particularly the whiteface.

As far as the tie down, when I first tie my calves up I tie them low so if they throw themselves they dont hang, and they can also sit down. But these look like they're tied awfully short?

Keren":79mtflm9 said:
I agree I like them, particularly the whiteface.

As far as the tie down, when I first tie my calves up I tie them low so if they throw themselves they dont hang, and they can also sit down. But these look like they're tied awfully short?

I was just wondering. We tie ours up, but not so high that they will hurt themselves.

Does anyone else tie theirs low like this?

when i first start them out... the first few time i tie them up... i tie them low enoug the lay down and that way they don't hang themselves. this way they get to lay down and relax, while getting used to being tied up. then after that i tie them up standing for the first half of the day, then let them lay down after that. just gets 'em used to being in the same spot for a long period of time, like they will be at the shows.

Ryan

It all depends on how they act. When we first tie up, if they are calm and not jumping into the fence, then we will tie a comfortable position where they can lay down, stand up and put their head up. But, if they are jumping into the fence, we tie low like that so they don't hurt themselves. I also have two steers right now that like to dump their grain out of the pan, so I tie them low like that until they are done eating, just so they don't waste the grain. :D

They aren't my personal calves so I have no say in how they're kept, but, personally I've always tied my calves up high after they're used to being roped up and then only for an hour or two a day at most.

These calves are being tied up all day long so I assume they're more comfortable being allowed to lay down.

Only 5 or so weeks til show day.

kim":23mfwgfk said:
They aren't my personal calves so I have no say in how they're kept, but, personally I've always tied my calves up high after they're used to being roped up and then only for an hour or two a day at most.

These calves are being tied up all day long so I assume they're more comfortable being allowed to lay down.

Only 5 or so weeks til show day.
Five weeks -- You better tell whoever's in charge to get them untied and teach them to lead. Five weeks isn't long to have them trained to lead, work on a stick, get their hair in shape, etc., especially for calves that size.

Latest posts