Calling the bull experts

Help Support CattleToday:

If you take a look at the Brangus bull Ricebeltrancher just updated, he, though certainly will cost more, is an animal I'd be proud to have in my front pasture. Since I've been here I feel the same as you.. I still don't see flaws (whether real or imagined) other people see, but when there's an exceptionally nice animal, I do take notice

KNERSIE":3rai6dmj said:
The main reason (in my simple mind anyway) the seedstock guy can ask for more is because he has more into an bull developing it to express its genetic potential. At 8 months old it's impossible to test for fertility much less for breeding ability. If he guarantee fertility make sure for how long. At 8 months a good dam and health program with adequate grass and maybe a little creep feed a month before weaning will get a bull to 800 lbs, so the breeder hasn't invested much in him other than his parents' genetics, therefore I feel he is a bit ambitious on the price.

He is a pretty good calf, a touch too much sheath and the angle isn't great, but I'd take that anyday over a tight hided brangus bullcalf
Agree.

I would like to know what he is going to like at 15 months old if you invest in some feed and push him a little . I think there is a lot of potential there .

Bestoutwest":iec79dj9 said:
Questioning about the sheath. I always see guys saying why they want a cleaner bull. Does the sheath effect fertility? Is it a cleanliness issue? Any help here, just trying to learn.

And that bull is a nice looking sucker, by the way. I like him.

SCD-Didor-Esto-623.jpg

The sheath discussion has happened on here a few times if you search the site. As it has been stated before it is the angle of the prepuce that is important. Notice the sheath on 623. It is less likely to get infected with grass seeds, stickers, cockleburs, etc. The sheath on that Brangus is the kind that tends to drag around thru the weeds making it irritated. I have seen way worse breed without any problems.

I would be more concerned with his movement because of the topline. $3k for straight off the teat is highway robbery. Straight off the teat is feeder price only, $2.15 pound.

I don't know them, but I know OF them. They are mostly a show-type operation which usually comes with a lot of overhead. I like how rugged he is, and I think he has a lot of potential, but that price is way too high impo to pay for a commercial bull calf with potential. I think I would keep looking. He's probably going to be worth more at 12 months, but there's a lot of risk between now and then for 3K.

He is nice looking can't say for sure just from a photo, but way over priced for an 8 month old. I seen some 14-16 month olds a few weeks back for $3250 looked just as good as this one same registered Brangus and better sheaths.

Latest posts