California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

On properties further out west from here some graziers use spear traps https://www.cavalierlivestock.com.au/product/5-bar-spear-trap/
around the water points with a small area fenced off. The cattle have to go through the trap to access water and then exit the enclosure through another spear trap. When they want to muster they lock the exit and within 24 hrs will have a complete muster of the paddock. They are easy to train to the traps.

Ken
Exactly, a pen of any sort is not impossible.

cowgirl, your ignorance and closed mindedness abounds. You are not realistic with your thoughts on the open range or BLM lands of Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, or Montana. BLM will not allow fences or pens to be built where ever a cattle owner needs them. They have to use designated areas. I have friends who trail their cattle to BLM land and stay with them all summer in Nevada. In 4 months they never see a single fence. The land they are on is inaccessible by motorized vehicles and the sheep wagon they stay in is hauled in with horses. They are in their 70's and 80s and rely upon team roping to doctor cattle. If you had watched the video I posted then you would see how real cowboys rope and snug down a cow without jerking them down.

I'm happy that your outfit has the means and the money to put up pens where ever you need them, but open your mind to the possibility that others do not or don't care to put money in something they cannot justify.

I have read many threads over the years wherein the topic of discussion is the difference between ranches and farms. I believe that while this is not the posted topic of this thread the two seem to be defining themselves lol

I don't rope on the range very often. I find I can treat with a dart and cause a lot less stress on everyone concerned. Roping was never terribly practical here unless you were lucky enough to find the animal in a large enough space to swing a loop. Running a horse full tilt on this ground can get you in big trouble.

I have read many threads over the years wherein the topic of discussion is the difference between ranches and farms. I believe that while this is not the posted topic of this thread the two seem to be defining themselves lol

I don't rope on the range very often. I find I can treat with a dart and cause a lot less stress on everyone concerned. Roping was never terribly practical here unless you were lucky enough to find the animal in a large enough space to swing a loop. Running a horse full tilt on this ground can get you in big trouble.
I want to try the darts.. we've thought about it...

A dart gun is like an impact wrench, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.
We've only occasionally needed one. Like with anaplase cows you don't want to stir up too much getting them to the corral.. Knock on wood, but that hasnt shown up this year probably because there arent that many mosquitos.. I suppose you can use it for that, although i recall thats Iv treated.. so, i really cant think of what we'd need one for but i'm sure we'll have something come up. Could have used it for the pneumonia cow, although i didnt want to find her stuck in the pond so i brought her home.

@cowgirl8 has a very closed view point. Her way or no way.
On my farm, I would never need to rope anything. But, that's my farm - not a 1000 acre ranch. All cattle places are different. Aren't we lucky to live in such a varied country?
Dave has talked about their branding times many times. I think it is wonderful. Great life. Just different than my life - which is great!

I want to try the darts.. we've thought about it...
ROFLMAO> I have seen cows killed by dart guns, or never really recover and have to be put down. Especially Brahma influenced cattle, or any cattle really that were stirred up and panicky, jumping over or through barriers, which is when people usually, finally, resort to tranqing them. Hell of a lot ,more damage done to them with the dart gun, then heading and heeling them, be it working cattle or rodeo. Calves on the farm or ranch are usually heeled, not "choked down", but even in rodeo, there is very little damage done to a calf by roping it.

I was 4 when I got my first horse 61 years ago, and 12 when my granddad first fenced in a cotton field and we got cattle. In 52 years of working cattle with horses, I have NEVER injured one by roping it, or using horses to gather them and sort them. I started team roping when I was about 16, and I have never injured one in practice, jackpot or rodeo. Even a rodeo cal;f-roping calf, is more likely to h get killed or injured by lightening, than in the rodeo arena.

ROFLMAO> I have seen cows killed by dart guns, or never really recover and have to be put down. a rodeo cal;f-roping calf, is more likely to h get killed or injured by lightening, than in the rodeo arena.
Maybe we should close down all beaches because... you know... SHARKS!!!!

ROFLMAO> I have seen cows killed by dart guns, or never really recover and have to be put down. Especially Brahma influenced cattle, or any cattle really that were stirred up and panicky, jumping over or through barriers, which is when people usually, finally, resort to tranqing them. Hell of a lot ,more damage done to them with the dart gun, then heading and heeling them, be it working cattle or rodeo. Calves on the farm or ranch are usually heeled, not "choked down", but even in rodeo, there is very little damage done to a calf by roping it.

I was 4 when I got my first horse 61 years ago, and 12 when my granddad first fenced in a cotton field and we got cattle. In 52 years of working cattle with horses, I have NEVER injured one by roping it, or using horses to gather them and sort them. I started team roping when I was about 16, and I have never injured one in practice, jackpot or rodeo. Even a rodeo cal;f-roping calf, is more likely to h get killed or injured by lightening, than in the rodeo arena.
Warren, I don't doubt anything you have said there but unfortunately it has nothing to do with how harmless and humane the procedure is, these "do gooders" have an agenda to get everything associated with animals banned and the likes of the visual effect of a calf with a rope around its neck is a good starting point for them.

Ken

Calf roping is just wrong...... you cant watch that and not feel sorry for them if you're human. Taken from their mothers too early, jerked down at a full run, choked for entertainment.. I know someone who threw a rope on a guy and his horse spooked and drug the guy around killing him. I've been hit by those ropes and it hurts. I couldnt imagine running for my life and having my feet yanked out from under me much less my neck being yanked. Remember when everyone thought slavery was good.... I dont remember, but it went on for as long as humans have existed.. Guess it took someone to point out how bad it was before people started to look at it in the slaves point of view...