California bans calf roping

Help Support CattleToday:

To be honest, i dont like calf roping. Hate it. Its cruel. Serves no purpose anymore. We've ranched for over 45 years and never ever roped a calf. I understand the skill it takes, but, look at it from the forced/orphaned calf's perspective. I get no pleasure seeing a young calf being yanked down by its neck while running. Then being choked down by that rope and someone coming over, smashing its body and more on its neck while being tied, then sometimes drug around before being let loose. Its sad, just sad......

You have a very different perception of ranch roping than I do. Like all ranch activities, properly done, it is not stressful and is very efficient.

You can watch all of their videos and you will never see a jerk down. https://members310ranchlife.com/

We can run our cows into the corrals and i can go in there and on foot, sort that calf out into a pen. Who would run every cow through a chute for one? What ranch TV shows are you watching????? Oh yeah, that was on Yellowstone.

Not all ranches have a handy dandy pen and squeeze chute.

Especially if you live in areas like here and have multiple rented places... you have to set up portable catch pens to get the cattle moved out of there in the fall.... And the sick cow or calf is always at the place that the panels are not at... wait til they make the dart guns for shooting a dart for treatment illegal or something...

I'm not against calf roping by any means. At our local rodeo I saw one get jerked back and it snapped the kneck. They were really good about jumping right on it and getting it out quick but it was clear what happened.

I've hog hunted most my life. They use to do bay and catch competitions. I'm pretty sure they are all banned now. I went to some but never entered. Ruining good animals for cash and prizes just never appealed to me.

I think the same about some of this rodeo... show animal... stuff. Again, I'm not saying it should be outlawed though either.

We can run our cows into the corrals and i can go in there and on foot, sort that calf out into a pen. Who would run every cow through a chute for one? What ranch TV shows are you watching????? Oh yeah, that was on Yellowstone.
Being invested and defensive in your own point to the exclusion of understanding another person's point doesn't make you right.

There are legitimate reasons for roping a calf. I suspect you know this.

I'm not against calf roping by any means. At our local rodeo I saw one get jerked back and it snapped the kneck. They were really good about jumping right on it and getting it out quick but it was clear what happened.

I've hog hunted most my life. They use to do bay and catch competitions. I'm pretty sure they are all banned now. I went to some but never entered. Ruining good animals for cash and prizes just never appealed to me.

I think the same about some of this rodeo... show animal... stuff. Again, I'm not saying it should be outlawed though either.
That (Ruining good animals for cash and prizes just never appealed to me... the same about some of this rodeo... show animal... stuff.) is a very good point. Certainly there is a line to be crossed for everyone reasonable... and all a matter of degrees. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? In some of these activities it would be difficult to determine and in the end is a judgment call that has to be made in the moment by those encountering the circumstances.

Rodeoing causes lots of injuries to cowboys too... but some say broken bones
build character. Favorite tee shirt said: "Ride Bulls - Meet Nurses"
:)
And missing fingers. I know a few cowboys missing thumbs. I admire the work it takes, but, in reality, if you're wanting to show dedication on what you can do on a horse, there are many things other than the abusive act of calf roping.

Here your sign. Also a little bit about goat roping in this area. Several years ago the cowboys around here had goat roping Art Holt was hot on a goat and the goat ran into the pen at the end of the arena the horse could not stop and ran into the fence and broke its neck. Maybe we should have called these ropers goatboys.

Looks like we are going on 4 pages of 'California bans calf roping' and as near as I can tell there has not been a
response from a Californian! I would wager a bucket of rocks against a sack of sand that no who has commented has ever
paid a dime to participate in a roping event in California. I can think of a lot more going on in California (and elsewhere in this country)
that is worth a hell of a lot more attention than a calf at the end of a rope in California. This topic should be moved to
[THE OLD MAIDS GOSSIP COLUMN FORUM] I can only add Good Grief!

There are many places on our ranch you cant see pens. We have though, pulled calves in the field. But, never ever have we had to chase a calf at full speed and rope it. The guy on this horse probably just threw the rope around this cows neck as she was standing, probably another rope going the other way. Otherwise i cant imagine the force to get this cow down unless she's weak or really sick. Just a few weeks ago, about as far as you can get from our corrals, i walked a sick cow to the corral without getting the herd up. She had pneumonia, ran her in the chute and gave her a shot. She's still in the sick pen, but tells me every time i go out she doesnt belong there anymore. So, if a rancher doesnt have corrals and you ger a sick cow that is weak, wont you find her stuck in a pond eventually. We always bring our sick cows to the corral where they drink out of a stock tank,.

There are many places on our ranch you cant see pens. We have though, pulled calves in the field. But, never ever have we had to chase a calf at full speed and rope it. The guy on this horse probably just threw the rope around this cows neck as she was standing, probably another rope going the other way. Otherwise i cant imagine the force to get this cow down unless she's weak or really sick. Just a few weeks ago, about as far as you can get from our corrals, i walked a sick cow to the corral without getting the herd up. She had pneumonia, ran her in the chute and gave her a shot. She's still in the sick pen, but tells me every time i go out she doesnt belong there anymore. So, if a rancher doesnt have corrals and you ger a sick cow that is weak, wont you find her stuck in a pond eventually. We always bring our sick cows to the corral where they drink out of a stock tank,.
On my uncles place there is now way you are going to walk a sick cow into the corrals. The one pasture is roughly 12,000 acres. If that cow is on the far end, you would have to trail her 15 miles to the corral.

On my uncles place there is now way you are going to walk a sick cow into the corrals. The one pasture is roughly 12,000 acres. If that cow is on the far end, you would have to trail her 15 miles to the corral.
So, what do you do to keep her from getting stuck in a pond beause they are sick, or getting too weak to go get a drink? I cant imagine just leaving a cow 'out' if she's sick i guess you just expect them to die then, why doctor them? You get a cow 12 miles from the corral, sick pen, whatever and she's got pneumonia, you rope and give a shot and them just leave them? Our where i live, a cow goes down away from humans, you wont find all of her the next day. lol

Latest posts