Calf won't take milk but..(pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

hideseek.jpg

Just thought that I would let everyone know that so far the little guy has made it, he is the one with white on face. Local dairy suggested using the electrolyte called Deliver, we used that and gave him a shot of long acting penicillin. Not sure what turned him around but he quit scouring and got a good appetite after that. Gave him some probios and so far all has been well. Thanks for all the suggestions as we had tried everything we knew and really did not want to sell our troubles to someone else.

Tom, way to go! You gotta give yourself a pat on the back. You and I have talked a lot about our Cattle, and you are doing a fine job.That little guy has come a long way...

pretty little thing and from the picture i couldn't tell he was feeling poorly
hats off to you tom4018

As my name implies, I'm a newbie - but I have had success raising an orphan. MY vet advised us to feed only whole mike - not replacer. He said "you have a sick calf now so you don't need to worry about scours - which you will have with replacer." It worked! At first I mixed 3 cups whole mik with 1 cup water then went to all milk in a nurser bottle. No scours!!Calf is now almost 1 month old, grafted on to a good cow, grazing and is really big. Good luck on your baby

Tom,
I was following the posts-congratulations on the calf. He looks like a healthy calf. Good job. I had one that wouldn't nurse his mother for almost a week. We tubed him and I was to the point that I was going to give up on him and finally he started nursing. He's a big healthy calf now, weaned him last week. Sometimes I think I don't know anything about cattle even though I've been around them all of my life. They sometimes have a mind of their own. Good luck with him. :)

Well greenhorn gal, you may be right... whole milk still retains several things that replacer no longer has, can't remember what that was..BUT, whole milk is still not str8 from the cow quality... the componants are mostly removed as it is processed and used elsewhere... milkfat, proteins, etc. :cboy:

Whole Milk does not have near enough fat and protein. I'd be extremely skeptical of using it to trust a Calfs life to it. Plus it's not medicated. Just my 2 cents worth.

Whole milk from a cow is always better than any replacements....course I don't sell replacement..... as some do. Medication is not indicated for a normal nursing calf.

preston39":34t2vduw said:
Whole milk from a cow is always better than any replacements....course I don't sell replacement..... as some do. Medication is not indicated for a normal nursing calf.
Presto, IF it was a Normal nursing calf, Would we even be talking about a calf off the Cow? Whole milk is only 3.7% fat.Milk replacer if it's worth a Flip is 20% fat. This poster was NOT talking about feeding a calf milk straight from the cow,in that case it would not be Pastuerized, Homogenized, or put thru any other processes would it? Also, for what it's worth to respond to your response, the Medication is added as a preventative of scours, and other problems. Yes, as a matter of fact we sell a LOT of Milk Replacer, kind of goes along with the Feed Business last I looked. Saves a lot of Calves lives. Puts money in our customer's pockets, instead of thumpin' a calf in the head.What business are you in?Besides the Copy and Paste Trade?? Don't run off and leave us hangin' like last time...

Travis, the one we had died. He had been left out for almost a week with nothing. Absentee Farm owner. He lives out of the area, and only comes up once or twice a week. I told him next time to pull the calf right away. He waited too long hoping the calf would steal some milk from another cow. Did'nt happen. We tried everything under the sun to save that calf.

Latest posts