Calf won't take milk but..(pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Calf won't take milk from a bottle but will tkae electrolytes from it. He is a salebarn calf maybe a week old. Never had one do this so it has me puzzled. We have gave him Bose, nuflor and some banamine. He is acting better but worried about not getting milk in him. Thanks for the thoughts.

Tom, I would suggest introducing him to milk, added to an electrolyte that mixes with milk a little at a time. Maybe he'll start taking it. Seems unusual that if he drinks the electrolyte, he wont drink milk. One more thing you might try is a Turkey baster, just let the Milk dribble down his throat, I'd use a tube feeder as a last resort . Just try adding some milk at each feeding. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Crowderfarm gave you some good advice. That would be my plan too. Put down some good calf starter for it. If they are hungry at all they will eat some of it. How many days have you had the calf? I know you said he was a week old. I was just wondering how long you have been trying to get him to take the bottle. If he's doing well he will take about anything if he misses a meal or you might try the milk if he doesn't take it let him go another 4 hours and try again.

Got the calf last Thursday. Have gotten some milk and electrolytemixed down him,2 pints last night. He does act better but he is stubborn about sucking took a half hour to get the 2 pints in him but he takes electrolytes quicker. I know he needs the milk but I am at a loss of what to do.

Just keep working at it. The little one will eventually figure it out. Follow crowderfarms advice. Otherwise you could sell it if you don't have the time to keep working with him.

And now it's time to see if you think I've totally lost it. Anyway here goes. Try to stimulate him to nurse. You probably already know this. While you are giving him the bottle, reach around him and kind'a scratch below his tail where the legs come together. It's what the cow does while he's nursing. Except she reaches around with her head. You'd likely want to stick with your hand. Sometimes it works. I tried to get my daughters boyfriend to go with the head version but he didn't think it was too funny.

Still trying to get this calf to suck a bottle, he seems to even lost interest in it with electrolytes. He took the scours bad and now trying to go back on milk but having touse the baster to feed him. He acts more energetic now but sure wish I could get him to suck. I know it might be better to ship him and avoid losing him but I hate to give up (been there done that before).
Any other suggestions?

Also can a calf survive if it did not get colostrum? Just curious since I don't now if he got his or not if one can survive without it.

Tom you may have to tube feed this one to get a good quantity into him. Give him a good antibotic and scour halt. Hang in there.

Calf can survive without Colostum, but will be more supseptible to Diseases, and more Health problems. Tom, I know you and know how you are a bound and determined individual, but you might be better off "shipping" this one. I've never had one that was taking electrolytes, but refusing milk replacer. Had several non-suckers, but generally speaking, they are not too picky with what's in the bottle, if they are a healthy calf.

ctlbaron":3kx25rq5 said:
Tom you may have to tube feed this one to get a good quantity into him. Give him a good antibotic and scour halt. Hang in there.
Ctlbaron, is right, you can try tubing him, but do you want to continue beating a dead horse? Sounds like this calf was a problem that was sent to the salebarn. You know the risk and gamble involved with these calves at times....

He has been tubed twice and the rest of the feedings he has gotten his full 2 quarts. Gave hime Nuflor on Saturday plus some sulfa boluses.

Crowder, he may have to go to the sale, next Tuesday or Thursday, because I was stubborn enough to keep trying. Doing this to make money so I guess I should learn to cut my losses and go on. I have been trying not to buy them so little because we have not had much trouble out of them when we buy older calves. Oh well, another one of lifes bought lessons.

tom4018":24f6agst said:
He has been tubed twice and the rest of the feedings he has gotten his full 2 quarts. Gave hime Nuflor on Saturday plus some sulfa boluses.

Crowder, he may have to go to the sale, next Tuesday or Thursday, because I was stubborn enough to keep trying. Doing this to make money so I guess I should learn to cut my losses and go on. I have been trying not to buy them so little because we have not had much trouble out of them when we buy older calves. Oh well, another one of lifes bought lessons.
The only reservation I have with sending a Calf like this one to the sale barn is, Someone else is going to Inherit a Problem.Guess that's how some of us have ended up with problems like this.

Crowder, I know what you mean, hate to give someone else my problems. Really don't know what to do, got to make that long to even consider selling it. He did seem a little better last night but did noticed his manure scours is stringy, never seen that before.

Tom, We had one a guy gave us a few years ago, and it was stringy, and then was followed by pure Blood. Tried everything. No sucess.It died a day or two later. My wife likes raising em' but we always buy calves from individuals, You usually get an honest person, selling the calf that will tell you if there is a problem.Don't let this booger stop you from trying again.

Still trying here. Calf showing some improvement this morning, took 3 pints on his own. Showing some nursing instinct by butting and looking for something to suck. Vet gave me some Baytril yesterday for him, just hope that he has not got any fluids down his lungs from the baster feedings, vet was amazed that we had kept him alive by doing that. Guess we will see what time brings. Just thought I would update.

tom4018":39uobg0z said:
Still trying here. Calf showing some improvement this morning, took 3 pints on his own. Showing some nursing instinct by butting and looking for something to suck. Vet gave me some Baytril yesterday for him, just hope that he has not got any fluids down his lungs from the baster feedings, vet was amazed that we had kept him alive by doing that. Guess we will see what time brings. Just thought I would update.
Tom, you aint' gonna believe this one. I just inherited one just like you have from a neighbor yesterday.Calf was born Memorial day, Cow had bad Bag, and he left the little feller out all week without anything. This one will be a Challenge. We got a Bottle down him yesterday an ounce at a time. He weighs 55 lbs. Wife just got more job security. :D

Crowderfarms":x9j9sytj said:
tom4018":x9j9sytj said:
Tom, you aint' gonna believe this one. I just inherited one just like you have from a neighbor yesterday.Calf was born Memorial day, Cow had bad Bag, and he left the little feller out all week without anything. This one will be a Challenge. We got a Bottle down him yesterday an ounce at a time. He weighs 55 lbs. Wife just got more job security. :D

Howdy! :D

Good luck you all I like having a bottle calf around if there is time for it. Very challenging indeed...
what did you all mean by stringy scours?
did you try sulfa pills? they help with about anything and much cheaper that nuflor....
bif

try diaque on him. i had one like this. he would not suck a bottle but would drink out of a pan. when he got sick i gave him diaque. he preferred it over the milk. this electrolyte can mixed with the milk

bif,

Yes he has had sulfa pills. Tried everything we knew to do plus the suggestions of others. as of now he is showing some improvement, guess time will tell.

Thanks