Calf with swollen ankle Update!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
I was putting out hay this morning and noticed a month old calf with a swollen ankle on her hind leg. She wouldn't put any weight on it. I caught her and it appears to be just swollen, not hot, no wounds, high enough to not be foot rot.

Any ideas?

I suspect injury, joint infection or penetration of sole by nail or sharp rock. Location of swelling doesn't preclude problems in the foot. May need some very close inspection to differentiate the cause.

G Lesamiz, DVM

she probably got stepped on or either has a joint infection. if it was mine she would have a joint infection. maybe you have better luck than i do.

Make sure it is not broken. If it is, they are very easy to splint, and will heal rather quickly.

I have had this happen a couple of times. Calves get stepped on when they are young and break a leg.

To splint, take a piece of 3" PVC pipe and cut it into thirds, about 30" long. Find some foam, old rags, or something along thos lines that you can line the PVC pipe with and prevent it from rubbing on the calf's leg. Next, and this may take some assistance, lay the calf down and put the PCV pipe on the back side of the calf's leg with the rags or foam inbetween the leg and the pipe. Leave the pipe BELOW the hoof about 2 inches so they walk on it rather than the hoof. Finally, be sure the calf's leg is straight and take some good old fashioned duct tape and tape it on. Be sure to watch for pressure points, so the pipe does not rub on the calf's hide. That could lead to open wounds, which will lead to infection. Leave the splint on for 4 weeks, and it will be good as new.

Had to do this last year. The calfs leg was slightly crooked, but to the casual observer you would never know.

glesamiz":1uln3xmz said:
I suspect injury, joint infection or penetration of sole by nail or sharp rock. Location of swelling doesn't preclude problems in the foot. May need some very close inspection to differentiate the cause.

G Lesamiz, DVM

Good advice here. I suspect it may be foot rot. Look it over real good. If it's cracked/broken bone and bone has not penetrated the skin, it will usually get well on it's own. This is a self restricting thing. The calf won't walk on it much if it hurts too badly.

Took the calf to the vet this morning. Good news nothing broken or punctured. Appears to be a joint infection as she had a 104 temp. Vet thinks antibiotics will clear it up in a day or so. :D :D

Now for the rest of the story. I sure do love the docility of my Red Polls. We led this one month old calf into the vets office and treated her as a big dog. She stood still while she was examined and x-rayed. Decided to weigh her on the dog scale and she is 150 lb at one month old. Her name is Valentine. Any guess as to why we named her that?

Thanks for all the input.

Don't be so sure it will heal uneventfully. Septic joints can be really nasty sometimes requiring long term strong antibiotics. Hit this one hard with meds or it may not heal!

G Lesamiz, DVM

glesamiz":wsr4i6a9 said:
Don't be so sure it will heal uneventfully. Septic joints can be really nasty sometimes requiring long term strong antibiotics. Hit this one hard with meds or it may not heal!

G Lesamiz, DVM

My vet said the same thing that is why she is still at the vets and going to be there for awhile.

Thanks for your input. Glad to have you on the boards. :)

Jovid":224i6nbb said:
glesamiz":224i6nbb said:

G Lesamiz, DVM

My vet said the same thing that is why she is still at the vets and going to be there for awhile.

Thanks for your input. Glad to have you on the boards. :)

Had an older cow that we treated for a couple of months for a joint infection. Something about the joint capsule, didn;t understand it all. She'ld get better for a month or 2 then back down with it. If I remember correctly she went for 86 cents a pound.

Latest posts