calf with injured front leg (update and ?'s)

Help Support CattleToday:

i never have used a thermometer on a bovine. physical appearance is what i go by too.

milkmaid":drqey12c said:
I guess it's obvious I don't check temperatures of healthy calves on a regular basis, eh? :oops: I generally just go by physical appearance - if the calf has a bad cough or straight liquid coming out the back end I don't need a thermometer to tell there's a problem, so I don't use one too often.

Those are thephysical and behavior things I was referring to.

dun

I'm new to dealing with health probs so I have to use what I can. Would it be okay to give her childrens tylenol (liquid)? She's still gritting her teeth and I want to do something to make her feel better.

plash23":3js1hq5d said:
I'm new to dealing with health probs so I have to use what I can. Would it be okay to give her childrens tylenol (liquid)? She's still gritting her teeth and I want to do something to make her feel better.

Give her a couple of adult aspirins.

dun

o holy night..... I haven't been bit that hard since I took one to the chest from a mad momma. (Horse that is) I shoved one of those pills back in there and she pushed my finger to the side with her tongue n CRUNCH. She actually cracked my nail. A syringe full of liquid has got to be easier. She didn't get the second pill!

plash23":2sn4hxsf said:
o holy night..... I haven't been bit that hard since I took one to the chest from a mad momma. (Horse that is) I shoved one of those pills back in there and she pushed my finger to the side with her tongue n CRUNCH. She actually cracked my nail. A syringe full of liquid has got to be easier. She didn't get the second pill!

Plash, there is an easier way. Trot down to your local coop or TSC, anyplace (except the vet - as he will undoubtedly cost more) that carries cattle supplies, and buy you a calf balling gun. It will look like a giant pair of scissors (at least, that what our's look like) with bent blades about 3/4 of the way down the blades. At the end of each blade will be a cupped out area. Stick one or both (both should fit) aspirin in the cupped out area, close the blades and hold them closed. Back the calf into the corner, spraddle one leg in front of her chest, one leg behind her butt and hold her there. Grab the calf under the jaw on the off side, raise her nose up until her nose is extended and pointed up. With the angled part of the blades pointing at the calf, insert the baller into the side of the calf's mouth, rotate it so the blades are pointed down her throat, gently stick it down her throat with the blades following the contours of her throat, until the handles are flush with her mouth or thereabouts. Open the blades and the aspirin will be deposited in her stomach.

msscamp":3nal6g2q said:
plash23":3nal6g2q said:

Plash, there is an easier way. Trot down to your local coop or TSC, anyplace (except the vet - as he will undoubtedly cost more) that carries cattle supplies, and buy you a calf balling gun. It will look like a giant pair of scissors (at least, that what our's look like) with bent blades about 3/4 of the way down the blades. At the end of each blade will be a cupped out area. Stick one or both (both should fit) aspirin in the cupped out area, close the blades and hold them closed. Back the calf into the corner, spraddle one leg in front of her chest, one leg behind her butt and hold her there. Grab the calf under the jaw on the off side, raise her nose up until her nose is extended and pointed up. With the angled part of the blades pointing at the calf, insert the baller into the side of the calf's mouth, rotate it so the blades are pointed down her throat, gently stick it down her throat with the blades following the contours of her throat, until the handles are flush with her mouth or thereabouts. Open the blades and the aspirin will be deposited in her stomach.

I prefer the straight type of balling guns that look like a big syringe (sort of). That said, if I'm just slipping a pill I frequently just poke it in by hand. If I'm feeding any grain I'll through a couple of aspirin in there if that's what they need, been known to dissolve it in milk if the animal is on a bottle.

dun

dun":t7s7bfnz said:

I prefer the straight type of balling guns that look like a big syringe (sort of). That said, if I'm just slipping a pill I frequently just poke it in by hand. If I'm feeding any grain I'll through a couple of aspirin in there if that's what they need, been known to dissolve it in milk if the animal is on a bottle.

dun[/quote]

I don't think I've seen those types - I'll have to look for one. The one we have is older than I am, and it does take a little getting used to. :oops: You're better at giving pills than I am - I try to give it by hand and they spit it out and razz me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just one variation of the common balling gun

17177_L_xxx_000.jpg

I've seen that type of balling gun (we use one like that for the cows), but I have not seen the calf sized one in any of the stores up here. Usually they just have the type that we already have - but we are also far, far from being a metropolis. Thanks!

Another old option is to use a piece of hose. Put pill in hose and poke hose past the tongue and blow on your end. Mark which end is yours for future references.

thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind next time I feel like putting my fingers some where they don't belong. As for the nuflor, it helps with the pain? thought it was for the infection.

plash23":2ca4s3mi said:
As for the nuflor, it helps with the pain? thought it was for the infection.

It is an antibiotic not an anti-inflammant, not an analgesic.

dun

Okay so.... calf is still basically the same. I've been giving antibiotics for past week or so and I can't tell much difference other than they seem to make her feel worse. Just called a vet(one of three that actually take large animals (and none are taking new clients)), because you can't get nuflor here without vet Rx or from the vet. Vet won't give it to you unless it gets checked (which I do understand). It's going to cost 75 + meds to take it to the office.Hmmm you guys make it sound like you can pick it up at the gas station. So that's the update.

Oh and the pill droper thing nobody had that either. I didn't think I lived that close to atlanta, but apparently this is not a country enough town for do-it-yourselfers.

We had a calf that acted a lot like yours. It had the navel infection. We couldn't find a large vet help us either. So, we called Vet School at A&M and took him in. $88 later, his joint had been injected with antibiotics and the meds we needed to clear up the infection were in that price as well. Banimine (sp) helped a great deal. This drug is an anti-inflamatory. Also, we ran cold well water over the joint for 10 minutes twice a day.
After about 6 weeks, he was finally normal.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1icqtogd said:
You cant be serious that you were actually crazy enough to stick your hand in her mouth? Your lucky you didnt loose a finger. Go to the coop or tractor supply get you a disposable syringe, disposable needle, I always get one specified for calves instead of the big 16-18 gauge needles if im shooting a calf I think its 12 gauge. Get you some nuflor, Give her a shot in the neck. Its that simple. Read the label it will tell you how many ml/cc to give per 100 pounds of body weight. That way the calf is happy and you dont have any more injuries. Be sure and get some paste called probios to give her after the nuflor because after all antibiotics kill bugs including the good ones ;-) if im not mistaken I think it even will have a diagram on there as to where in the neck to give the shot.
Unless a calf needle is numbered different than a cows and you're using a 12, you might as well shoot her with a 22 cal. and just dump it in. I always thought the larger the number the smaller the needle. Might be wrong tho as I'm just a hobby guy.

ffamom":tc5emhaw said:
We had a calf that acted a lot like yours. It had the navel infection. We couldn't find a large vet help us either. So, we called Vet School at A&M and took him in. $88 later, his joint had been injected with antibiotics and the meds we needed to clear up the infection were in that price as well. Banimine (sp) helped a great deal. This drug is an anti-inflamatory. Also, we ran cold well water over the joint for 10 minutes twice a day.
After about 6 weeks, he was finally normal.
Treat it just like "MOM" said, and in about the same amount of time, problem solved. Had one few yrs. back who's legs curved forward such as your's, and did just as "MOM" said, but I did'nt inject directly into joint as she did. Might be quicker , but mine took about same amount of time.

Well Roadapple if it's anything like piercings the smaller the # the bigger the gauge, that I do know.
So got in touch with the vet that we use for horses (he quit working on cows 4 yrs ago..go fig.)and he gave me 12 of batril one shot and two of banamine(forgot how much) one today, one tomorrow. This doesn't seem like enough, but I'm not the vet. So I guess I'll let you know how it works out. HEY guess what, he didn't charge me lol. Funny how things work out.
thanks to all,
Pam

dun":1nmlfqy0 said:
plash23":1nmlfqy0 said:

dun

Same here, dun. Cows I wouldn't dare put my hand down their mouth, but I frequently give calves pills by hand. Misplaced my pill gun awhile back. :roll:

Latest posts