Calf with broken leg

Help Support CattleToday:

That is a fibreglass cast, I will take it off in a week or so and that will be it. Assuming I can catch it.
It will be fine for three weeks Silver. More sure of a heal too. Had one break a few years ago that broke the hide, old vet said to let nature look after it. Calf healed fine on its own.

I had one that broke his leg (I think 3 years ago) and couldn't get him in to set it - and I definitely didn't cowgirl-up and treat him in the pasture. Healed on its own, you could barely tell by the time he was weaned but sold him private treaty.

It will be fine for three weeks Silver. More sure of a heal too. Had one break a few years ago that broke the hide, old vet said to let nature look after it. Calf healed fine on its own.
I've left them on for that long in the past but not by choice. They sure heal fast at this age. Old vet told me once 5 days would do it but to be safe I like 7-10.

That looks like a fairly easy fix. I had a calf get caught up in some junk several years ago and froze off his front hooves. Poor little fellow got around ok, the mama cow would go over to him to feed him. She was a good mama, she ended up being open a couple years ago that earned her a trip to the sale barn. I took the calf to the vet and he said there nothing he could do for him. I didn't let him get very heavy before I had him butchered.

Seems breaks of lower parts of the legs heal usually pretty good on little calves. Have one limping right now too, can't see or feel a break though.
Nice cast on that leg there!!

Latest posts