calf with injured front leg (update and ?'s)

Help Support CattleToday:

plash23

Reaction score
I've got a three week old calf with broke, strain, .... frontleg. It was fine till about three days ago. It was down for 5 hrs that I knew of, got it up, nursed a little and back down it went. Since we've had it up it's gotten up on it's own a few times, but mostly it can stay up and hobble around with a little help. At first I thought it was it's hips cause the way it was holding them, but now I think its just having a real hard time balancing. I will post a pic next time I go down but wanted to know if you all had any tips on self remedy...brace, splint, cold pack(jk) Would be much appreciative of any advice. Also it doesn't make any noise or wag it's tail much if that's any help to a diagnosis.

If it is hurt in the knee or lower you might try to splint it. I have taken a piece of 2 inch pvc pipe and sliced it in half long ways - fill it full of cotton to pad it trying to avoid rubbing the leg - then duct tape it around the calf's leg to restrict movement. Place the calf in a confined space for a few days and keep a close eye on it. This has really helped me sometimes, especially with a calf that has trouble straighting out their front legs. If the injury is up high near the shoulder, then this probably want work - good luck - hope it gets better.

Sad to say I have had experience with this. You can put a cast on it if it is below the knee and it should be fine. Make sure the leg is clean and dry. Wrap it with gause. Not too tight, but tight enough that it doesn't slip. Take plaster of paris and mix it thick. You can get it at any Wal-mart craft section. Wet more gause with the plaster in a large bowl and wrap it on the dry gause previously applied. Don't make it any thicker than a half inch if possible. Too heavy. Wait about 20 minutes for it to harden. You will want to check it in about 2 weeks to make sure it is dry inside. Change the cast if you need to. If it is swollen now you will need to keep a close eye on it because it may slip when the swelling begins to go down. 6 weeks to be good to go. If you do it right you won't be able to tell it was broken when it comes off. The little boogers mend fast. Be patient. It can be done. Good luck.

Thank you to all who responded. I 'think' the calf is doing better, but still I have my doubts. I really don't understand what's wrong with her. Her front right leg seems to be the one she wants to put the least weight on but her back right is the one that is stiff. I finally got a search that had some good info for me. Medic24 listed out some good things that I needed to check. So went through all that last week. Pulse & temp good. I've checked for breaks in every bone I can feel. She really doesn't have any swelling except maybe just a slight bit in (lower radial joint?). I'm still helping her up at least 3-4 times a day to make sure she's getting to eat. Twice a day I do a little physical therapy (as much as I can anyway). I've seen her up twice before of her own doing and she was hobbling around pretty well. So ? is.... this morning when I was working with her when she excreted the most awful, putrid... um stuff .... and it had a little blood in it at the end. I wasn't so worried about it because it was red. Also her front hooves were very warm (almost suprisingly warm) and her back were pretty cold although her legs were not. I don't know anything about bovine physiology so thought I would check with you guys and most knowledgeable women for that matter.
Thanks, Pam

okay so I've seen many post on here about it. I felt her navel and she has a little knot. No fever in it or anything. Her's is the first I've felt so not sure what the norm. would be. It doesn't look swollen but I'm very curious (um nice for nerdy) and checked last week. What should it feel like?

Okay here is the problem child.

0b4c3c83.jpg

c7adff06.jpg

9c4f45ac.jpg
[/img]

Looks like it is in the shoulder. We've had this happen before. We just put the pair in the corral, gave the calf some long acting penicillen for a couple days, and let what happens, happen. A splint will be a waste of money in this case in my opinion. Cattle can heal pretty well. I would give it the penicillen and hope it gets better.

I think I'd consider navel ill/joint ill on the calf. Throw her and get a good look and feel of that navel. If it's hard or draining or inflamed, there's an infection, and that does need to be treated or it could eventually result in a joint infection, if she doesn't already have one. I'd go with several days in a row of a penicillin (probably Twin Pen) or Nuflor. If there's a joint infection, then the sooner you get on top of it the better the calf's chances of survival are.

The navel doesn't always swell, but the joints do and she almost looks like her front knees have swelling, some nuflor would do her a world of good if that is what it is.

So I would be better off with penicillin than broadspectrum; or I've heard both and how exactly should I go about that?
She's had two doses of duramycin thus far. Checked her two days ago n she had a temp of 103.2. haven't checked yet today but her eyes are starting to drain a little. Navel seems well, I'm not really sure what it's suppost to feel like but there's nothing draining and right above where the skin encloses there is a small knot that hasn't changed in.......11 days. Thanks for all your post. Pam

Temp of 103 is higher than normal...I think enough higher than normal that I'd consider it a problem. Depending on how long it's been from birth, the navel should feel soft, and/or barely there. When you run your hand under the calf, you shouldn't feel anything hard, and the navel should be almost non-existant. Esp since she's three weeks old now. If you do "notice" the navel when you run your hand underneath, it should be no more than an empty flap of skin.

As to different types of treatment; I'd go with Nuflor. Penicillin if you don't have Nuflor. I'd go with a multi-day therapy as opposed to the single day therapy.

Keep us updated. ;-)

milkmaid":2wixbudx said:
Temp of 103 is higher than normal...I think enough higher than normal that I'd consider it a problem.

What do you consider normal?

dun

milkmaid":2dpln9xy said:
~ 101.5 F

That's alwasy been considred normal for a cow but calves run up to 103 and is still considred normal. That's where the physical appeareance and behaviour of the calf enters into the picture.

dun

Ah. Thanks for the correction. I thought it was just a little higher but didn't think it was that much.

plus calves temps will fluctuate more due to heat too. especially premies.

I guess it's obvious I don't check temperatures of healthy calves on a regular basis, eh? :oops: I generally just go by physical appearance - if the calf has a bad cough or straight liquid coming out the back end I don't need a thermometer to tell there's a problem, so I don't use one too often.