calf with injured front leg (update and ?'s)

Help Support CattleToday:

Roadapple":1r61kx3r said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1r61kx3r said:
You cant be serious that you were actually crazy enough to stick your hand in her mouth? Your lucky you didnt loose a finger. Go to the coop or tractor supply get you a disposable syringe, disposable needle, I always get one specified for calves instead of the big 16-18 gauge needles if im shooting a calf I think its 12 gauge. Get you some nuflor, Give her a shot in the neck. Its that simple. Read the label it will tell you how many ml/cc to give per 100 pounds of body weight. That way the calf is happy and you dont have any more injuries. Be sure and get some paste called probios to give her after the nuflor because after all antibiotics kill bugs including the good ones ;-) if im not mistaken I think it even will have a diagram on there as to where in the neck to give the shot.
Unless a calf needle is numbered different than a cows and you're using a 12, you might as well shoot her with a 22 cal. and just dump it in. I always thought the larger the number the smaller the needle. Might be wrong tho as I'm just a hobby guy.

You're right.

Just wanted to thank you guys for all your help. I know you all like having updates so here ya go. We put her down last week, I just couldn't seem to get the infection out. Think it was a case of too little too late, but you win some you lose some. I really want to give mscamp a big THANK YOU cause if it wasn't for you I would have not even been going in the right direction. She did have navel ill and somewhere along the way I heard that it can result from not getting the colstrum at the right time. Mother was very good, but she(calf) got out of the fence and was on the back porch of the owner when I found her. Don't know how long she was there (hour or three) but I wanted to see if you guys had heard the same about not getting colstrum and if they are more likely to get infections. Also, and finally, I wanted know if anyone remembers what vicky said was better to put on the navels (instead of iodine), or if any of you use something different.

they are absolutely more lilkely to get infections like that if they dont get colostrum, in my opinion and from my experiences. I dont know if this is what you were talking about but Vicky recommended soaking navels in Epsom salts to draw out infection.

plash23":2s2yh7m1 said:
I really want to give mscamp a big THANK YOU cause if it wasn't for you I would have not even been going in the right direction. She did have navel ill and somewhere along the way I heard that it can result from not getting the colstrum at the right time.

Plash, I'm very sorry your calf didn't make it. :( I very much appreciate the thank you, but it was actually Milkmaid's experience with naval ill that made me think of it in your case. I feel like she deserves the 'Thank You', because if she had not shared her experience I would have never put it together with your calf. Just my thoughts.

Nah I was thinking there was something she said to use to treat it when they are born other than Iodine. ??? tx beefy

Latest posts