calf with high break on rear leg

Help Support CattleToday:

4luvofcattle

Reaction score
We had a calf two nights ago that must have gotten stepped on by her mama (first calf heifer). The break a high break between the hock and closer to the pelvis. We took it to the vet. Her suggestion was to just leave it in a small area and restrict her movement and roll her twice a day to keep circulation good in both legs. She said it was a 50/50 chance of healing. We would like to better our odds and are open to suggestions.

We have been in the calving business for 15 years and have raised our kids by using the cattle operation and 4-H. We have a modest herd of 30 cows and this calf is out of a heifer that my oldest son just bought so he could have a start on raising his own herd once he is out of college. So this calf is even more important because it is our son's.

We had a friend of ours tell us to give it 1 cc of Dex and 5 cc of antibiotic every other day. We are open to an suggestions.

The vet strongly discouraged surgery because everyone that they tried to repaired had too many issues with infections.

Cattle will heal them selves better than with surgery. Just keep the bone streight it will heal on its own.

Sorry for the issue,
We too had a calf a couple years ago get stepped on, cow had twins. It too was a high break, too high for a cast to work. About the only option of surgery at the time was to bring it too our uw college vet hospital, but 9 times out of 10, that result may be more UN-favorable than letting time take its course. We fed this calf, and she did heal, but always walked with a limp- if it does heal, it wont heal straight and the animal will always have a limp. We finished this calf out and sold it. She actually got around pretty decent, but there is a high chance of arthritis setting in and having more problems later if kept.
We had a friend of ours tell us to give it 1 cc of Dex and 5 cc of antibiotic every other day. We are open to an suggestions.
Not a bad idea, also if there is any swelling, you could give something for that as well. A shot of trace min./vitamins may help the healing process too. Keeping it im-mobile would be great, but we all know how easy that is with cattle. So, sounds like you are doing what you can, and about all you can do is see what happens with time. It took a lot of time with our calf, some prob. would give up sooner, but do what you can with-in your means,
Good Luck,
Jenna

Cattle do heal pretty well; if she seems comfortable and is eating well I'd give her a chance to heal on her own. The suggestion to restrict her exercise is good. Dex does decrease inflammation (swelling), but it also will delay healing and suppress the immune system with long term use. I might use it once but no more than that. You could give Banamine for pain (once or twice) as pain causes release of corticosteroids (similar compound as dex) which again can delay healing.

As long as this is not an open break with bone through skin, antibiotics shouldn't be necessary. (Antibiotics are not typically given to people with broken bones either.) However, given that damaged bone with hemorrhage means an area that is more susceptible to bacterial growth, infection is a possibility. Rather than giving antibiotics, ask your vet about administering E. coli immunoglobulin (antibody) to the calf. I'd be more inclined to give that a try. It also means one injection rather than multiple. (Lucky, if you have any thoughts on that feel free to comment or correct.) Make sure the calf has good nutrition and just cross your fingers. Send us an update.

milkmaid is spot-on with her commentary and recommendations.

You say it's above the hock - but are we talking a fracture of the femur or of the tibia? Femoral fracture - confined to a large enough pen/stall that she can get up & down and move a bit will be fine. The large muscle masses surrounding the femur will usually do a decent job holding things in place.
Tibial fracture - probably will also heal fine with just confinement; Probably, back in the day, if I knew the owner would care for 'em properly, I'd have anesthetized and fabricated a Thomas splint to help immobilize the bone - and would have removed the splint in about 2 weeks.

Calf may end up with one leg a bit shorter than the other, but most will heal up just fine - sometimes in spite of what we do to try to 'help' them.

Jenna, you are so right. Trying to keep the calf im-mobile is nearly impossible, but I am trying my best. She is sectioned off from her mama in a small "pen" until feeding time. When we bring in mama, baby calf wants to get up and see her. I hold her back so she has little weight on her good leg and help her balance while she walks around on her front legs. She has a lot of fight in her, so I am not willing to give up just yet.

And Lucky, she has a femoral fracture. And our vets said exactly what you did about the large muscle mass will do a pretty good job of keeping stuff in place.

I have been watching her poop and it is still pasty. Hopefully if we keep her dry, bedded up and "warm", it will stay that way.

The calf finally started sucking today. It was three days that we tried to get her to suck, but she had no sucking reflex. So we would take the milk from mama and then I would tube her. But today , after making her pretty good and hungry (I felt she was strong enough and had enough nutrients to wait 12 hours for milk), she finally sucked on my finger when I put it in her mouth. I know, not earth-shattering. But I am sure you know how frustrating it can be when you have spent 3 days fighting a calf that will not suck to finally have it latch on is awesome. I will take any good news on this calf I can.
Thanks for your suggestions. I just found this forum and I have spent several hours reading all of the post. What a great place to talk to people who have "experienced" calving issues and related topics.
Secondly, thank you for the speedy post. I read them right away, but finally took the time to respond now after pushing snow out of the cow yards all day. Received 6 inches of "blown" snow from Storm Q last night and today.
Thanks again. And I will keep you posted on the progress.

Latest posts