Calf with Bloat or Something Else

Help Support CattleToday:

cghoerichs

Reaction score
I have an angus heifer with a distended left side. It's been that way for several days. She's a little over a year old and is being fed out with a steer because she was pretty small to keep as a breeder. I've been feeding her the same ration for weeks and a couple of days ago I noticed her left side is sticking out quite a bit. She isn't off her feed or acting strangely - just has that side sticking out. I've dropped the corn/protein ration a little and increased the hay part of the ration a day ago to see if it will go down but no change. Any suggestions? Would you worry enough to get the vet out to take a look?

Is the distention high or low down on the left side? If it was severe frothy bloat she would not have lasted a couple of days. Had you made any changes to ration/feeding before the swelling? Could you tell us more about the ration, hay and if she is on pasture.

The distension is high. I haven't made any changes to the ration. The ration is 29% hay, 60% corn, and 11% "32 booster beef" which is a 13%protein and 87%dry matter plus vitamins and minerals. She is not on pasture. She was moved off of pasture about a month ago when we started feeding her.

cghoerichs":2imj5uu1 said:
She was moved off of pasture about a month ago when we started feeding her.
My guess is that she has high lactic acid(acidosis), or at least the start of it and is therefore bloating but not chronically as yet. I would give her some bloat guard or poloxalene block and magnesium oxide for the acidosis and monitor her.
Perhaps give your vet a call and run it by him/her first if that will give you comfort.
BTW you are probably aware of this - large quantities of high quality hay like lucerne can also cause bloat, you didn't say what hay you were feeding.

She is getting grass hay (I assume lucerne is alfalfa). I spoke to the vet and he gave me some probiotic to get the good bugs back, and her side was down, but I notice today it is getting tight again. What is really strange is that she is acting fine. No problem eating, still runs to the bunk when its feeding time. Guess we'll just have to keep a close eye on her.

Latest posts