Calf with 3 leggs

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
I purchased a 400# calf in September he was kinda wild and his first night in the barn he tryed to jump the gate and hung his right front leg between the gate and the gate post and must have hung there alnight first thing the next morning I found him with no life in him at all I cut the gate chain and got him free but he didn't have anything left I gave him Banimine and LA200 rolled him over and he sat up for the next 2 days that is where he stayed then he stood up the leg was useless the ankle was layed over and the leg was swollen I treated him for the next week or so and eventually got back to his old self but the leg is still no use to him. I can't send him to the market the way he is now and I can't kill him after he has fought this hard to live so what do you do with a 600# three legged calf?

I hate these kinds of stories, because I understand all too well where you're coming from. What about putting the word out that you have a handicapped calf in need of a good home? I would be willing to bet that someone will take him off your hands if you're willing to give him away as a condition of him not being put in someone's freezer.

Eat him, that's what they are produced for in the first place.

I'm not sure keeping him alive is in his best interest.....
I would think seriously about feeding him up and eating him ~ or letting someone else eat him.

I rehab animals for the DNR, raise animals on our farm. I often have to ask myself when working with a compromised animal ~ am I doing this for them or for me. Is keeping this animal alive what is best for you, or what is best for the steer?

Just something to think about ~ is, of course, your call.

dun":1w1liwsc said:
Eat him, that's what they are produced for in the first place.

You are absolutely right, for the most part. But every once in a while an animal comes along that has such a strong will to live, and fights back against such enormous odds that it just isn't right to put him in the freezer. He/she has earned the right to live, and I think that is what VAStocker is talking about. Call me sentimental, call me stupid, call me whatever you like - I believe I understand where VAStocker is coming from and I agree with him.

They can get along pretty good with one back leg but one front leg is not very good. That is a lot of weight to carry up front.

Wild Cattle":10xcw16z said:
They can get along pretty good with one back leg but one front leg is not very good. That is a lot of weight to carry up front.

Ditto... dealt with that before. Once they near 1,000lbs, their other leg and shoulder are messed up so badly you wish you'd cut your losses 600lbs ago.

I wouldn't try eating him- he'll be tough
See if you can find any RAW dog food feeders in your area.
I have had some go back on their leg after 3-4 weeks- if they don't do it by then they never do.

Hate it when they hurt themselves being processed- seems like such a waste- but it happens regularly and in the most stupid ways.

A lady (I'm assuming she's a lady anyway) in FL might like him

I think you may be on to something I have no problem with the calf going to slaughter for dog food or what ever the case may be. But I have a problem with me killing the calf after all the mornings I thought I'd find him dead and he hobbled to the feed bunk. I think I'll ask around at the market next week and see if there are any buyers that purchase culled cattle for pet food that will at least give me a place to start.

I know it's hard to do but I would put him in the freezer, If you decide to slaughter him you have to remember you treated him with antibiotic and have a wait period , I don't know if that would apply to using him for pet food.

I have a heifer calf - 6 months old - that I just weaned. She was 2 months old when a RR cross tie fell on her and broke her back right femur and possibly hip. I feel a little sorry for her watching her struggle, unable to fight off dogs (cow dog), but we are in the process of feeding her out. I got carried away with vaccinations and accidently did her with the other weanlings, so we have to wait to Feb. 20 to take her to the butcher.

Her good leg is curved from the weight and I'm sure it will give out if she gets too heavy. Until Feb. 20, she is in a small pen to minimize the amount of walking she absolutely has to do.

If he can walk in- our local processor would buy him cheap and turn him into hamburger.
And yes even on the dog food the withdrawals need to be followed.

Hey VA, How close are you to either Abingdon Va, or Kingsport, TN?

Might be able to help you out with your problem... we have a sling set up in one of our barns here,....just maybe, and if it works I' m sure you will want him back............if not then...ummmm. well............who knows? :cboy:

No offense intended, but I don't understand your logic. The animal is suffering, putting it down may be hard, but it's the right thing to do. Putting it down should be easier than letting it suffer. And if it can be used as food for your family, it is serving its purpose, yes? If you take it to an auction the same thing is going to happen. No matter what, someone, or something is going to eat this animal. Be thankful for what has been provided, and put it in your freezer. It would surely make good burger. Either way, you should end it's suffering. Sorry to hear of your loss, good luck to you.

I raise calves and I sell them at the local fair every May. But the calf I had this year is a real special one. First he got a terrible infection after castration and was sick for about 2 months. Next when fair time came he was black balled and not accepted as market ready because we had a first time judge out of school. She claimed that he didnt have enough cover of his ribs for her liking so he was booted out which ment he couldnt go through auction. But luckily DCB decided to support me and paid for my calf and gave him back to me to take home. Once fair was over and done I either had to find him a home in 4 weeks or my father was going to put him in the freezer. He had already cheated death twice so i thought what the hell with one more try. The last day before my father would call the butcher a very sweet lady came out and picked him up to be a pasture cow. She wanted to get her horses cow friendly so she took him in as her life long pet. 2 months later I got a call that he had gotten a hold of some bad feed and had bloat to the point where he could barely breath. She poped him and gave him antibiotics and within 10 days he was almost back to his normal self. He is one calf who has been through hell and fought hard to keep his life. He has won a long life in the shade ^_^

I had a calf born a couple of years ago with 3 legs. Obviously, we couldn't sell it at an auction. We fed it separately until it reached about 700 pounds. Other than the steaks being a little smaller, the meat was fine. We didn't want it to get to big.

Latest posts