calf unable to stand, help!

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmerKretz

Reaction score
We had a female calf born and never could get her to stand up. Brought her back to keep her at the house and watch her. She is 6 days old now but still unable to stand. She seems perfectly healthy and happy. Her stool is fine, she will pick her head up and move it around, wags her tail, and recently been moving her feet a little. Her front right shoulder seems to be sunken into her a little bit (maybe fell on it ahrd at birth?). We can stand her up but she'll often cross her back feet and lose balance. Her neck also seems very tight and she wants to keep her head hanging very low. We can pick her up by her chin and raise it but she will not do this naturally. We have been keeping formula in her and she has had colostrum. We stretch her legs and fold them up/out each time we feed her to promote leg activity. Does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts? Think she will eventually outgrow this or is she already too old? Any advice is appreciated, I am new to taking care of calfs like this! Thanks!

Dose of Vit E/Selenium likely won't hurt anything, but I'd certainly also be considering that this calf may have some sort of congenital neurologic/musculoskeletal abnormality - some are just 'accidents' of abnormal fetal development, but some are the result of heritable defects or viral infection(BVD) at specific periods during the process of fetal development.
Hopefully, you'll 'luck out' and this calf will come along - but at some point (I can't tell you when), it may become evident that she's not going to be functional.

Pinched nerve, broken bone,polio-could be b=so many things, i would give it some Vit B-ask a vet to look at her would be the best tho

Latest posts