Calf steeling milk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question and i will probably get riped for asking it. 8) But i noticed this morning while feeding my cows that has calfed. That one of the calfs is nurseing a couple of the cows.

And as long as the cows dont mind i guess there is nothing wrong with it. But my concern is this. I started feeding the cows that has had their calfs a 3 lb ration of 12 % protein grain to help them maintain their condition. Now that the grass is growing they dont eat as much hay. But i still keep plenty out for them.

The calf that is steeling milk was my first calf born which was a big calf to begin with.(had to pull him at birth) He is only a few days older than the rest of the calfs born so far. But is twice as big as the rest. And all of the cows except for his moma is maintaining their body condition pretty good. And his moma is still in ok shape( probably a good 5 + on BCS)

I got to watching this little rascal this morning while he was nurseing and after he finished up with his mom. He just switched to the next cow near him. Then he went to another one. Each time he would go to a new cow. The cow would kick at him a little or shew him off with her head. But he was very persistant until the cow gave in. But the cows was more focused on eating their grain.

I guess it is ok to let this go on isnt it ? I know he is depriving the other calfs a little of their milk. But surely the cows will take care of this problem wont they ? :(

Its not ok, the other calves will suffer because of his greed. I'd haul the pair to the sale. A big vigorous calf like that should help the pair bring good money.

First calvers are more likely to let other calves nurse, I'll bet my bottom dollar (or Rand) that they won't allow that again next year.

If he nurses all the other cows and provided that their calves are doing OK and that they are not losing condition I'll let nature take its course.

If three or four calves all nurse one cow it poses a bigger problem for me than one calf nursing three or four cows.

Try and find out why this calf's dam are in poorer condition and rectify that, increased milk flow will be the result of improving condition adn the problem might solve itself that way.

The calf is telling you that mom doesn't have enough milk. You can say she isn't in as good condition, but if you are feeding grain & they are on pasture & hay, she should be receiving enough nutrients to produce milk to her ability.
So, that cow would be on the list for culling - if you were looking to reduce your herd, she would be on top.
The other calves may suffer (as noted above) due to this one stealing.
You can't stop it unless you seperate them, which isn't always easy to do.

i have 12 first calf heifers and almost all of them do it at one time or another, about half of the cows allow it at some time. i don't like it but i can't seperate all of them, the last bunch of first calf heifers did that alot too. my cows won't allow it very often

I have a bottle calf that is also stealing milk from 2 first calf heifers with tons of milk. It's kind of interesting, the little guy is stealth enough to latch on from the back when their own calf is nursing & everyone is happy. When I go to give him his bottle morning & night he has what we call " milk face" where I can see that he has been nursing & his sides are full. Mamas are fat & have tons of milk & babies have a creep feeder too. That's just the way is has to be this year.
If this is the worst thing that happens during calving season I'll be happy.

I call them "sneaky snackers". Depends on the milk production of the others as to if it will cause problems.

dun

The neighbor lost a cow a few years back. The calf survived by running around to each of the cows and nursing from behind while their natural calves were up front.

Two years ago I fed some cows to get them into the pen. Two cows were standing and eating with their calves in between. The calves were nursing opposite cows of what they should have been nursing. The funny thing was each cow would turn around the sniff its calf's rear and apparently not notice what was happening. I was concerned the calve may no longer have its mother's scent but it apparently was never a problem.

If a cow does not have a lot of milk, her calf will suffer if another calf stealing milk off of her. Taking action to preclude the theft is the best thing to do.

I would not worry about it wait until weaning time and go by the weaning weights if you see a big difference there that's when I would consider shipping her.

I was wondering if a person should supplement the milk thief with some calf starter or a bottle - if he really isn't getting enough to eat and he is stronger than the others, he might get milk the other calves need....
what do you guys think

mdmdogs3":3jzgozxl said:
I was wondering if a person should supplement the milk thief with some calf starter or a bottle - if he really isn't getting enough to eat and he is stronger than the others, he might get milk the other calves need....
what do you guys think

May a good idea - and may not be a good idea - but for 95%+ of us folks that would involve some type of round up on a regular basis. Not many of us keep our cattle in a 1 acre pen - and training a calf to come for extra is a time burner that does not pay.

If you keep three head then fill your boots. If you have more you are wasting time, effort and money.

Leave them alone and make your decisions / sort it out at weaning or sale time.

Bez>

Bez>":bnpkgy9u said:
mdmdogs3":bnpkgy9u said:
what do you guys think

May a good idea - and may not be a good idea - but for 95%+ of us folks that would involve some type of round up on a regular basis. Not many of us keep our cattle in a 1 acre pen - and training a calf to come for extra is a time burner that does not pay.

If you keep three head then fill your boots. If you have more you are wasting time, effort and money.

Leave them alone and make your decisions / sort it out at weaning or sale time.

Bez>

thanks - that does make a lot of sense - hadn't thought out the logistics that would be needed to feed the little bugger

Melanie

dun":1cs3rwlx said:
I call them "sneaky snackers". Depends on the milk production of the others as to if it will cause problems.

dun
I call them a s--- head as they usually have a pile of it on top of their head.

Roadapple":1tagligt said:
dun":1tagligt said:

dun

Amazing that's what we called several calves for the same reason

dun

We've got a bunch of first calvers this year. The calves just think it is a giant smorgasborg. Our first born is the worst too. So far it really hasn't been a big deal. Everyone is fat and healthy, no one looks like they are going without. If someone doesn't look like they are doing well then I'll intervene, until then I'll let them be. One thing I've learnt if I try to solve all the problems on the field the cows will drive me crazy. :lol:

We had a first year heifer a number of years ago that threw a great heifer calf. I was watching and noticed the calf butting her mom alot. My husband told me not to be concerned. Later I watched the calf stealing milk from other cows (they won't tolerate it), that calf never returned from the pasture. Her calf the next year was the same story. She went down the road.
I would seperate them into a pen by themselves and see what happens. If he is milking her and not being satisfied she is not milking enough.

My potential herdbull was a thief (aka Sheethead) last year and he was stealing from my top steers mom ( farm name Kitchen ) . Sheetheads mom had lots of milk.

Everybody is doing great this year in their assigned tasks, glad to still have Kitchen here with her new heifer calf ( who obviously has a future at ALX farm ) the steer is well on his way to steakness and Marty the Feldman eyed bull is still in the running.

Relax Stepper, leave em alone.

As long as none of the younger calves are suffering from lack of milk, I'd leave them alone. However, I'd wean / ship that biggest calf when it gets big enough to help avoid a problem as he gets bigger and steals more.

Roadapple":2guvu60o said:
dun":2guvu60o said:

dun

Mister Roadapple that there remark gave me the belly laugh I needed ta day!!

Ya are right on!

Latest posts