Calf Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Maddogg

Reaction score
New calf 2.5 weeks old. Had scoures, and is weak. Giving him Terramycin, electrolytes, and Durazyme paste. Starting to come around and get firm again. What worries me is that he has some discharge from his nose on one side and cold in one eye. I gave him a shot of penicilin 5cc, recomended by a feed and seed store. Can I do anything eles for him? Gave him his shot in thickest part of his rump? Right location? How much chould I give him if he is 75#..........? 5cc ok?

Maddogg":1yyfzcm7 said:
Gave him his shot in thickest part of his rump? Right location?
Wrong location. This picture is stolen from another thread.

g1351-2.gif

ok got the wrong location......... 5cc right dose? Just doing what they said and glad to ask questions to find right info.

Follow Muratic advice. Not in the rump. That will ruin one of the best cuts of meat. Use the neck region as this will not damage a valuable cut of meat.

Maddogg":1ik4osyt said:
ok got the wrong location......... 5cc right dose? Just doing what they said and glad to ask questions to find right info.

Not trying to offend you but the bottle will tell you the correct amount to give per pound of weight. Keep the questions coming thats the only way we all learn.

Our vet has always recommended giving a little more than the dosage according to the bottle for penicillin. For example if the bottle says 6 cc's, give him 8. If it says 8 give him 10. We also double the initial dosage for terramyacin. The bottle says 1, we give 2. Then, if another dose is needed, give the calf 1 pill for that dose and every one needed after that.

Maddogg....sounds like you have things under control. I'm sure that you took his temperature and listened to him breathe...no wheezing or shortness of breath and all is well. 5cc of penicillin, was that for the cold in the eye and the sniffles? (hate to think it was viral, antibiotics don't work on virus)
What did the dosage chart on the bottle reccommend?
Muratic's chart will guide you when its vaccination time.
Good luck with your calf...born on your place?
Susie

Thanks to all for the advice. Our bottle..... in fine print says 1 mL per 100#s so had tough time converting to cc. One Cu centimeter is .001 Liter, Had trouble thinking that it was only one or actually .75 cc for the dose. The farm and feed store recomended 5cc's thats why I was asking the question.
Thanks so much for everyones help.
Calf doing much better and looks like he will pull through.......
I did buy this calf off an add.

Maddogg":2pw0j4c1 said:
Thanks to all for the advice. Our bottle..... in fine print says 1 mL per 100#s so had tough time converting to cc. One Cu centimeter is .001 Liter, Had trouble thinking that it was only one or actually .75 cc for the dose. The farm and feed store recomended 5cc's thats why I was asking the question.
Thanks so much for everyones help.
Calf doing much better and looks like he will pull through.......
I did buy this calf off an add.

A cc is a ml

dun

Well we have found that Substain 3 Boluses work the best for Scours, and we have had good luck with Newflor for runny noses and watery eyes. Good Luck

Latest posts