Calf Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

gildehbc

Reaction score
Anyone been experiencing calf scouring this season yet?? We lost two over the weekend. Our vet has been seeing a lot of scouring issues in our area and contributes it to the unusual warm days and cool nights we had the last ten days or so. I was thinking the warmer weather would have provided less stress not more. Calved last year mostly in below freezing with no issues....go figure. Just curious if anyone had any comments or issues this season yet.

Haven't had any scour issues yet this year, but it not uncommon. I'm sure there are more defined reasons for it, but I think the temperature changes, and wet weather contribute to the causes. Last year, treated 3, lost one.

Since we calve essentially year 'round we don't treat the cows with Scour Bos prior to calving but after one ugly year we started giving all the heifer's calves First Defense. Amazing results, zero scours. But last year was a brutal winter & noticed even the calves from the older cows were getting scours (treated with Sustain) so this year allllll calves are getting First Defense. Zero scours.

A few years ago a gentleman asked me if I ever lost any calves to scours and I said no. I hadn't lost any to scours in years.....I may lose them to other things but I couldn't tell you the last time I lost one to scours (not that it couldn't happen).
He went on to tell about his brother in law who had lost several calves recently to scours. I asked him what he feeds his cows and he said Oh he feeds em good. He told me what all and said they are nice and fat.
Anyway, IMHO, most scours are related to what mamas eating and how much, maybe not every single solitary time, but most of the time somethings out of whack.

Latest posts