Calf Resuscitator

Help Support CattleToday:

I didnt see a price
then I suppose it would depend on how many you loose a year, and if your there 24/7 to use it.

I don't know. What's wrong with just blowing some air into them, unless you're too squeamish for that I guess.
The thing is any CPR course you take now tells you compressions are more important than air. I've had reasonable luck giving a breath or two of air and then just going to compressions. I don't know if there is a "proper" way to do them, I've always meant to ask. I do it with the calf on it's side, grab the front foot and curl the leg up and give compressions for awhile. If they get to breathing the roll them up on their brisket to open up the lungs as much as possible.

76 Bar":1nyxcgp7 said:
What Silver said. 8)
Has anyone on here ever used this product? U.S. or other countries.
http://www.dairymac.com/products/calf-resuscitator/
I think it could pay for itself quickly
That begs the question: if you're inclined to pursue purchasing a calf resuscitator you might want to re-evaluate your breeding program.

Is it a bad idea to be prepared for any eventuality? :???:

76 Bar":e9w7zs77 said:
What Silver said. 8)
Has anyone on here ever used this product? U.S. or other countries.
http://www.dairymac.com/products/calf-resuscitator/
I think it could pay for itself quickly
That begs the question: if you're inclined to pursue purchasing a calf resuscitator you might want to re-evaluate your breeding program.

Wow. He needs to reevaluate his breeding program because he is "inclined to pursue purchasing a calf resuscitator?"

I guess if he is inclined to buy a manure fork, he should re-evaluate his feeding program. Lol

I've tried to revive two calves in the past 5 years that were still hot and had only been on the ground for less than 1-2 minutes, I didn't save either one. The last one was a stunning calf from EXAR Denver 2002b. If there was a piece of equipment that had been able to revive him, I would have paid $3k for it on the spot.

As soon as you take the survival of your calves lightly, you are probably headed out of business soon.

I knew someone nearby, that ran over a sleeping Angus calf with his truck, his response, "oops". Then we found another calf he owned in our hayfield, he had somehow gotten out and was so weak and dehydrated that he could barely move. I think he lived, but the guy didn't really seem to think it was a big deal. He looked at his losses like this, if he lost 5% of his calves he was doing ok. That meant about 5-7 a year. I could have sold all of those calves that were lost to neglect or whatever, for a minimum of $10-14k if not more. If he had opened up his bank statement one day only to realize $15k was missing, he would have been furious, but dead calves in the field, no big deal. That logic doesn't make sense to me.

When it comes to our calves, I would probably sleep in the field with them if necessary to make sure every single one makes it, that's never been necessary as nearly most all the calves come with no issues, but I never take a calf for granted, there is simply too much work involved for that little guy or gal to make it into this world to look at it any other way.

But you seem to be assuming this device would be more likely to bring those calves back than a couple breaths and compressions. I doubt thats the case. I think it just makes it "less messy" and perhaps help people too squimish to apply those breaths themselves. Its not doing anything you can't already do without it.

i was always told to pick them up and throw them down on the ground..

one has came back this way.

Tickle their nostrils with a straw after slapping them on the ribs a couple of times or rolling them around. That's what the cow does by bumping them with her head.

Seem to be a lot of sorry cow man stories coming from KY on a regular basis. Glad I don't live there around the abusers to see so many problems day in and day out.

Ebenezer":4ifhlni1 said:
Tickle their nostrils with a straw after slapping them on the ribs a couple of times or rolling them around. That's what the cow does by bumping them with her head.

Seem to be a lot of sorry cow man stories coming from KY on a regular basis. Glad I don't live there around the abusers to see so many problems day in and day out.
How did this become about people from KY? I'm assuming you're just bored and trying to start an argument.

Ebenezer":gbmx225k said:

obviously after slapping the ribs, some rubbin.. I'm talkin a pick up and slap on the ground with a DEAD calf.. if it comes back (which I've brought back one doing this way which otherwise would be dead)

oh.. the horror.. the horror.. lets just it die..

let's 'tickle its nose' and if it doesn't come back.. oh well! :clap: :clap:

how do you sleep at night knowing you could of saved a dead calf by being a bit more aggressive? Do you eat a lot of soy perhaps?

Lucky_P has addressed this subject. Going from recollection, he said not to hang them over a gate as was the traditional method. Roll them around. Set them on their sternum and use a cupped hand to slap the side of the rib cage to dislodge mucus and fluids. There is mention of using your fingers or a stick to insert in the nostrils to cause the breathing reflex.

Apologies to Lucky if my memory fails me.

Bright Raven":v8mvusyz said:
Lucky_P has addressed this subject. Going from recollection, he said not to hang them over a gate as was the traditional method. Roll them around. Set them on their sternum and use a cupped hand to slap the side of the rib cage to dislodge mucus and fluids. There is mention of using your fingers or a stick to insert in the nostrils to cause the breathing reflex.

Apologies to Lucky if my memory fails me.

Yes, there is no good reason to hang a calf upside down. The mucous we see coming out of a calf's mouth is not from it's airway.
It is interesting to hear how different people attempt to resuscitate though.

James - the problem with anything like that - is accessibility. Will it be with you when that "one" time comes around? In my case - probably not. It would be in the other barn, or in the house, or, "oh heck, Where did I put it?"
If it gives you peace of mind. Go for it. I'm looking to buy a calf puller - for piece of mind. Haven't needed one all these years, but I'm lots older & nephew has bad back - soooo.
I totally agree that all the new recommendation is to get calf up on sternum and NOT hang upside down. Picking a calf up & slapping it down on the ground is a method of inflating the lungs. We've never done that but it is supposed to be effective. But we have cleaned the airway & compressed on ribs.

Latest posts