calf puller

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
How many of you have a calf puller?We have one but have never had to use it. Just alway's thought better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it.

rattler

the only 2 things we have are ob chains an a come along.neither gets used that much anymore.if its a hard pull we use the come along to pull the calf.

bigbull338":3oe3acvy said:
the only 2 things we have are ob chains an a come along.neither gets used that much anymore.if its a hard pull we use the come along to pull the calf.

We have a calf puller. It gets used now and then. Most of the time it is used when only one person is around, or when we have a backwards calf.

randiliana":3dbssrsl said:
We have a calf puller. It gets used now and then. Most of the time it is used when only one person is around, or when we have a backwards calf.

Same with us. When there's only one of you, it can get hairy. I use mine mostly as a magic wand. I carry it with me to the back field because I know I'll never need it if it isn't way up at the barn :)

We have one and I would greatly reccomend anyone calving out heifers (or cows) to have one. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and try to figure out some way to improvise when you really need it. It's a lot easier (for me) then a come-along and it pulls each leg independently, you don't have to have anything to hook the end of the come-along to, ect. I can use it by myself out in the middle of an open pasture without a 4 wheeler, truck, or tractor if I needed to.

rattler":1b3x0gta said:
How many of you have a calf puller?We have one but have never had to use it. Just alway's thought better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it.

rattler

We have one. Better safe than sorry.

The cost of a puller isen't very much compaired to the cost of loosening a calf or cow and calf.

rattler

We just got a calf puller of our own at christmas time (the neighbor had one we could have use before) and I was hoping to never have to use it but we did already. Had a first calf heifer that was about a week late calving and the calf came backwards and it just happen to be born in the biggest snow storm this year so the vet couldn't have got there in time. I suggest to anyone that it is the best investment we have made to this point.

I'm new at this. I am currently going through my first calving season. So far so good (7 out of 7, 6 heifers and 1 bull calf). We have a come-along, but I would be interested in a calf puller. Which is the best one to get?

I'm new at this. I am currently going through my first calving season. So far so good (7 out of 7, 6 heifers and 1 bull calf). We have a come-along, but I would be interested in a calf puller. Which is the best one to get?

starrman":8t956pad said:

We have a Dr Franks puller. It is a pretty good one. There are some out that pull each leg independantly, and I think those ones would be worth looking at.

a calf puller/jack lets you pull it at the right downward angle thats hard to do with just a comealong. but im cheap i use a comealong too and a set of homemade ob chains

I just tie the calves feet to the back of the chute and let the cow out.

"Self-Puller" ;-)

Jeffers has a sale on an excellent one right now. I bought one for myself. It is like the stone one that rachets for only 89 bucks.

We have a calf puller from about 20 years ago. We only use OB chains with handles and a rope fashioned into a come-along. Really like the rope because you don't apply too much pressure. Can pull up/down/sideways to help change the angle of the calf.
Used it once last year. So far, haven't used it this year. 27 down & 11 to go.

Yes a good idea to have a puller ,buy a good one Dr. Franks are usally good. When i was custom feeding a Full Fleck sim herd the owner brought pics of a puller from germany. I got ahold of one it came with cotton ropes instead of chains. I found out why. it alternately ratchets one leg forward at a time and is built out of alunimum tubing with a thick wall. I have pulled calves for neighbors that bent their pullers with solid rods. But one this one can't use chains as you can pull off feet as one neighbor found out when he borrowed it. I can tell you i do a bit of work helping neighbors pulling calves and my biggest so far is 159lbs. This puller could be use to get a quad unstuck.

This puller is a technall, from holland. I am going to post pictures of the mechanism. I have used 7 or 8 differnet makes of calf pullers this one is by far the best i have ever used. my receipts show i got it in 1993 and it still looks new.

Latest posts