Calf puller

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Looking to purchase a calf puller. Never have had one. Hopefully, never need one. But, my nephew has back spine issues (on Steroid shots). He is definitely stronger than his body wants him to be. So, thought I should have one handy for that time of need. I would like one that pulled each leg separately.
In the past, if needed, we have fashioned up a pulley system with a long rope thru the OB handles, which will work great, but, the cow has to be in "the right" location to have a post at the right angle for pulling.
Anyone have suggestions?
I've said it many times, we virtually don't ever assist other than abnormal presentations - but, there can always be a good pull in our future and I sure am not a lot of help & need to have an option. Anyway, just trying to think ahead of any problem. Looking for input.

I have one somewhere in the shop. When I have administered assistance, I use the chains and the T bar. In the cases that I have assisted, it was only because I wanted to speed up delivery. Just worked slow with easy pulls and they come right out. And yes, I pull one leg forward then the other.

Bought one from Jeffers a number of years ago.I think it was a "Dr Frank's".It would pull first one foot then the other if I remember correctly.
We have been blessed with calving ease bulls for so long I haven't used it in a long time.
Thanks for the reminder.I need to try to find it so I'll know where it is.

The one i have pulls one leg at a time by walking on each stroke. I have never used it so dont know how good it will actually work when push comes to shove. We had to do a cesarean last year as the calf was upside down with one leg back. Never had problems before but a puller wouldn't have helped anyway. Just peace of mind i guess.

True Grit Farms":ci5z4bks said:
https://www.amazon.com/G-S-Extractor-Difficult-Calving-Quality/dp/B074JC7P34/ref=asc_df_B074JC7P34/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312021463413&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14032083910763541178&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011198&hvtargid=pla-762193984232&psc=1
Here's the one we have works great. Just like with anything else don't get in a hurry.
Not of the brand name of the one we have, but it looks exactly like this one. Typically on an easy pull, we just use the OB handle and a 30" twist chain. We have used the larger puller twice this past Fall for a couple hard pulls.

Going with Dr Frank's. I switched to nylon OB straps last year & really like them. Pull by myself first, generally using 2 OB handles, and use Dr Frank's only when absolutely necessary.

I have a Dr Franks. I bought it probably 6 years ago after my old homemade one broke my thumb. I have only used it twice. I hope I never need it again but it is out in the barn right where I can find it quick if I need it.

Have 2 Dr. Franks, both auction deals. They work if nothing else. They pull both feet at same time which is not ideal at all. Also have an elite German HK calf puller with the dual action, although I haven't used it as I don't care for the plastic breech head on it. Used the same puller over at neighbors all the time as a kid and loved it compared to the Franks because of the alternating foot pull action. Again, $5 auction buy.

I often toy with the idea of buying the Cadillac calf puller, which is the Vink. http://www.vink-elst.nl/vvc.html

If you were to actually buy a puller at retail value, I would go for the Vink.

Just a rope about thirty feet long. I put them in the headcatch to put the chains on with the rope attached and turn them loose in the barn alley which is 12x30. Might have to circle the wagons a bit but eventually get the tail around a post and back through the bowline loop at the chain. They can stand up or lay down , it doesn't matter. Easy to release and don't have to worry about where 6 feet of pipe will fit. The faster ones pull their own calves!

There is a conventional puller on the wall. I have used it maybe 4 times in 3 years on a total of maybe 440 heifers. If the cow can't get the head through the pelvis on her own I take them out the side.

https://www.nrsworld.com/maasdam-powr-p ... ler-153110

I don't care for calf pullers. Awkward and over priced.
I use a come along. A piece of muletape about ten foot long with a loop tied in each end. Run a loop back through the tied loops to make noose. Get one on each foot and work the feet out . Then add a half hitch and make sure you positiond properly on the feet. Now just get anchored to a post, rail, etc. You gotta twelve foot cable. Hook the back end to the center of the mule tape.

Go slow and easy. Just use the come along to apply and hold tension. You can push down on either line off muletape to apply force to one leg or the other. And take up slack with the come along as needed.
I used to only do this on hard pulls. Nowdays I generally go right to it. It's no good to be in the middle of pulling a calf and getting tired and frustrated.

callmefence":2cjjf1jz said:
https://www.nrsworld.com/maasdam-powr-pull/maasdam-pow%60r-pull-2-ton-cable-puller-153110

I don't care for calf pullers. Awkward and over priced.
I use a come along. A piece of muletape about ten foot long with a loop tied in each end. Run a loop back through the tied loops to make noose. Get one on each foot and work the feet out . Then add a half hitch and make sure you positiond properly on the feet. Now just get anchored to a post, rail, etc. You gotta twelve foot cable. Hook the back end to the center of the mule tape.

Go slow and easy. Just use the come along to apply and hold tension. You can push down on either line off muletape to apply force to one leg or the other. And take up slack with the come along as needed.
I used to only do this on hard pulls. Nowdays I generally go right to it. It's no good to be in the middle of pulling a calf and getting tired and frustrated.

I must have learned this from you. I have the nylon strap but just hook the long end of the come a long to the strap and anchor it at the bottom of a panel. As I crank I use my foot on the cable to adjust the angle and tension. I saw the vet buckle one of his hip pullers on a hard pull so I never invested in one of those.

Thanks, 76 Bar. Very interesting. Fortunately I haven't had to pull many, even better most of them automatically go down and if the calf is hip locked I twist it sideways. Tips & tricks: if you run out of lube, Dawn dishwashing liquid works just as well.

Thanks all. Dr Franks is the old tried & true original, I believe. But, can't find that they offer alternating leg pull. The Ideal looks good. Vink looks "confusing", but will check out more.

Latest posts