calf problem, don't know what

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin":2ad6jp7s said:
MS,
You lost!

SL

Not by a long shot! I know how to diagnose, how to treat, what to treat with, and how to keep my calves alive. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sir Loin":6pbjbhhz said:
MM,
Again I'm sorry, but I still don't understand your answer.
Could you try it just one more time?
What symptoms did you read or see that would cause you to administer Banamine and Nulflor?
:roll:
SL

I never said I would or would not give the calf anything. That is my final answer.

Now, your turn. What proof do you have that those drugs should not be given in conjunction? If you're going to state it, then back it up, SL.

Here is an article written by one of the foremost calf vets in the world . It addresses the Banamine Nuflor issue very well.
http://www.calfdoctor.com/NSL/NSL05/Sep05NSL.html .This is not the only article of this kind. Anybody that has treated any number of cattle knows that adding banamine to the treatment is standard proceedure.

Thanks everyone for your warm words during our time of lose.
You all have been a wonderful bunch of people and we feel that the information that was offered here has been of great help.

Red is not being kept in a pen. He has open range of the yard and shed. So far Red is thriving and doing very well. When I arrive home at 2 AM he meets me wanting his night time bottle.

I would hope that our vet would not have giving Red meds that would either kill him all at once or cure him.

snsfarms":3m19vowg said:
Thanks everyone for your warm words during our time of lose.
You all have been a wonderful bunch of people and we feel that the information that was offered here has been of great help.

Red is not being kept in a pen. He has open range of the yard and shed. So far Red is thriving and doing very well. When I arrive home at 2 AM he meets me wanting his night time bottle.

I would hope that our vet would not have giving Red meds that would either kill him all at once or cure him.

One of the best things Red has going for him is run of the yard and shed...I promise. Your vet and YOU have done what's necessary and right...again, I promise. I'm not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I've walked a mile in your shoes...we'll maybe more than a mile.

Hon, sometimes calves just don't make it...doesn't matter what ya' do.

Alice :)

Thanks Alice.

We would like to think that with everyones help here and what the vet came and done was everything that we could do for Fred.

We really thought we would have lost Red and not Fred. Red was the one who looked worse of the two.

We will make sure that from now on that the navels are cared for very carefully with all the calves on the farm. (we do with the foals but just never {and don't know why not} with the calves :oops: ) Lesson learnt the hard way and we will do what we can from now on to keep this from happening every again to the best of our ability.

We are setting up a med chest and have gotten lots of great ideas on what to keep on hand, and we are thankful for the ideas that poeple have offered us.

I will however call my vet in the morning and ask him if there is any way that maybe the combination of meds given could have killed Fred. Not so sure that it was, I just feel that it was bad timing on our behave (not getting him cleaned and not having the needed meds on hand). But we will be better prepared for the next time around and we hope this will not happen again.

snsfarms":3ic1ukxk said:
I will however call my vet in the morning and ask him if there is any way that maybe the combination of meds given could have killed Fred.

snsfarms, it is highly unlikely. I try not to use absolutes since there are no absolutes with animals, but the chance of something as commonly used togther as banamine (pain relief) and nuflor (antibiotic) killing the calf is so slim...

...there's just some folks on the forum who feel the need to spout off useless nonsense that serves no purpose other than stressing newbies (no offense intended). As a general rule, those of us who have been here long enough to have identified those troublemakers just ignore them.

If you'd had a calf with anaphlyetic shock, the chance is really high that you would have known it instantly. I've only had it happen to (I think) four calves; two due to an 8-way vaccine, one due to an IM injection of Bo-Se or Vit A/D (not sure which since I gave both at the same time) and one due to an IV of Immunoboost. NEVER when I've given antibiotics. Often times they'll drop instantly, eyes roll back, convulsions, sweating, shaking, panting...any or all of those symptoms. You'll know it when you see it.

Best wishes with Red. Are you going to get another calf to keep him company?

snsfarms, glad you are still here. and i hope that the further posts on this thread have not discouraged you and you contine to learn, post useful things, but most of all, have a good time.

Agree with Alice and MM. Hope all is well with Red. I would like to add to keep an eye on Red until you are sure he is free of any thing Fred had. good luck

RR

Yes Red will be getting a new buddy, but for right now he has made buddies with our blueheeler :eek: . Very cute pair ( will try and get some updated pics of Red and see if I can not get the two of them together in one picture at least :lol: )

Often times they'll drop instantly, eyes roll back, convulsions, sweating, shaking, panting
Fred did not do any of the above. It was really strange, he just layed down and if someone was not standing/kneeling right there with him touching him or talking to him he would cry out. But once we spoke to him or touched him he would stop. The vet said he died in peace, very peacefully. Which was a good thing to hear and not having to watch him fight. He just did not want to be alone.

...there's just some folks on the forum who feel the need to spout off useless nonsense that serves no purpose other than stressing newbies (no offense intended).
No offense taken, as we are newbies here and don't know what to look out for or anything of that nature. Thanks for the heads up.

rockridgecattle":166ygwv4 said:
snsfarms, glad you are still here. and i hope that the further posts on this thread have not discouraged you and you contine to learn, post useful things, but most of all, have a good time.

Agree with Alice and MM. Hope all is well with Red. I would like to add to keep an eye on Red until you are sure he is free of any thing Fred had. good luck

RR

I would have been back on before tonight but M-Thr I work till 2 AM and am dog tired when I get home :lol: and for some unknown reason Red has decided that he just has to have a bottle when I get home at 2 AM. If I just come on in the house he stands out there and cries till he wakes everyone in the house up, so I feed him and he goes back to bed :D . I guess an extra bottle a day will not hurt him at this point.

We are watching him closely and we will keep (when we get the next one) as we really don't want to deal with something like this again, or should I say that we hope to never deal with this again.

We will continue to come to the board and read threads and learn from everyone here that is offering sound advice that is not questionable. We just don't understand how the combination of meds that was given to Fred could have killed him. We do know that horses and cattle are not the same animals but they treat horses with pretty much the same combo and it does not (or should I say we have never) had it to kill one of our horses. So that did puzzle us in away.

We are Thankful for everyones help and also the external links that provide additional information from everyone.

We are watching him closely and we will keep (when we get the next one) as we really don't want to deal with something like this again, or should I say that we hope to never deal with this again.
trust me it will happen again.
Cattle = Murphy's Law and a few others that defies the laws of physics :D

A few tips if you are buying a calf.
1. review or ask questions about it's herd mates and mother's health.
ie did the mother recieve vaccinations? Pre breeding or after? what vaccinations?
Did the calf get a good amount of colostrum?
If you buy at the sale barn or anywhere for that matter, quarantine the animal for 3 weeks. Would not want Red sick again.
but quarantine (q.) means q. the water the feed and the bedding space. Reason, could bring a disease in and well Red has had enough and needs time to build his immune system again. It's a headache but well worth it.
finally, worm the new calf and for sure talk to your vet about vacciantions.
good Luck

Thanks for the advice.

Yea our vet told us that if we get a new baby to call him and he will come out and give him checking out and give him all his shots. Also told us to keep him and Red apart to make sure the new guy is not carrying anything that Red might get and set him back in his uphill climb. So any new babies will be kept out of the yard till the vet says OK to let them in with Red.

The girls & my husband have been telling me that the past two days that Red has been running, bucking and just enjoying himself :D . We are happy he is feeling better and enjoying himself as he is. I know that today while I was home when I would call him he would come running and do circles around me like he has so much energy and does not know what to do with it. And also they say that you can not keep enough grain out for him, he cleans it all up and is eating lots of his hay. I know today he was eating the grass just about everytime I seen him. (one good thing about him being in the yard, it does not need mowed :lol: )

Latest posts