Calf not nursing all four udder quarters

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongotrout

Reaction score
I have a calf that only sucks the front two quarters on the cows udder, so the hind quarters are filling up and staying full. Do iI need to keep those milked out? I have done this once, and it doesnt seem to help as they fill right back up again, and the calf still wont use them...

Thanks

How old is the calf? If he's still very young, that's more milk than he can handle. He'll get to all four as he grows.

msscamp":rvber0vn said:
How old is the calf? If he's still very young, that's more milk than he can handle. He'll get to all four as he grows.

Yup, this is common. No need to milk out the other quarters, it will balance out as the calf gets older.

The calf is 2 weeks today.

The calf seems very healthy. I am really most wondering about the cow, and how long she can carry all that milk in those two quarters without damage or infection setting in.

Thanks.

Mongotrout":1dk7bqnd said:

The calf seems very healthy. I am really most wondering about the cow, and how long she can carry all that milk in those two quarters without damage or infection setting in.

Thanks.

Beef cow, and she will most likely be fine - just kinda keep tabs on her for possible problems. As mnmt stated, don't milk her because it tends to stimulate her milk production - same as nursing does. I don't have any experience with dairy cows, but I'm sure someone who does will be along to respond before long. ;-)

Mongotrout":2nswyarn said:

Thanks.
If you are really concerned, then put the cow up like you do when you milk her out... then get the calf and see if you can get it to suck on those back tits. At two weeks, it should be taking to those back ones.. but without knowing how much of a milk producer your cow is.. hard to tell.

Latest posts