calf loss and taxes

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO":2e7bsaiu said:
According to my CPA, NO! You can just deduct if you lose the cow.

J

Yours says no just like mine, I used the arguement that I shouldn't have to pay taxes on the live ones I sell then. That didn't fly with my CPA either.

Caustic Burno":cdh0og9n said:
EIEIO":cdh0og9n said:

J

Yours says no just like mine, I used the arguement that I shouldn't have to pay taxes on the live ones I sell then. That didn't fly with my CPA either.
Our CPA says no as well. We had a discussion, down at the store the other day about cattle death losses as deductions.I was told by some of the fellers, that they've always been told by a CPA in town that if the loss occured from a single head that was born on the farm, they were deductible,and if it was a loss from a Cow bought at a sale barn, it was not deductible.Our CPA painted a whole different picture to me.

if it was a loss from a Cow bought at a sale barn, it was not deductible.

I started a cattle operation in 2005 so haven't been through the tax process yet. I thought cows held longer than a year was depreciated?? So a cow partially depreciated dies...and you can't deduct the rest? Confused.

jcummins":3d7vdrvh said:
if it was a loss from a Cow bought at a sale barn, it was not deductible.

I started a cattle operation in 2005 so haven't been through the tax process yet. I thought cows held longer than a year was depreciated?? So a cow partially depreciated dies...and you can't deduct the rest? Confused.
So am I. I have deucted Cattle deaths for years, without a single question from the IRS.

Crowderfarms":1ew7ntes said:
Caustic Burno":1ew7ntes said:
EIEIO":1ew7ntes said:

J

Our CPA says no as well. We had a discussion, down at the store the other day about cattle death losses as deductions.I was told by some of the fellers, that they've always been told by a CPA in town that if the loss occured from a single head that was born on the farm, they were deductible,and if it was a loss from a Cow bought at a sale barn, it was not deductible.Our CPA painted a whole different picture to me.

somebody down at the store got things mixed around...

a raised cow or calf that dies there is no loss to take as you have expensed everything into raising it, that is where your loss occurs - no sale = no income.

if you purchase an animal, cow or calf and it dies, if it has not already been depreciated then you "write-off" the amount you paid for it in the year of death, if you have already begun depreciation on the cow, then you would "write-off" the remainder of that purchase price

Nowland Farms":2fcgg2rb said:
I too lost a cow & calf a couple of years ago. The CPA showed a loss for both the cow & calf.

Without knowing the whole situation, it this instance let's say you bought a pair and lost both, $$ was allocated to each, therefore wrote them both off with the entire amount purchased...

mitchwi":2w9z6f1e said:
Crowderfarms":2w9z6f1e said:
Caustic Burno":2w9z6f1e said:
EIEIO":2w9z6f1e said:

J

somebody down at the store got things mixed around...

a raised cow or calf that dies there is no loss to take as you have expensed everything into raising it, that is where your loss occurs - no sale = no income.

if you purchase an animal, cow or calf and it dies, if it has not already been depreciated then you "write-off" the amount you paid for it in the year of death, if you have already begun depreciation on the cow, then you would "write-off" the remainder of that purchase price

Bingo

You cannot deduct losses on raised cattle that died because you have already deducted all of the costs of the animal (feed, vet, etc.) If a cow that you bought dies, you can deduct any remaining basis (undepreciated cost) in the year it dies.

Have a friend who told me that when she was a little girl her father had a small dairy. They would raise calves and also buy baby calves. For some mysterious reasons it was only the bought calves that died for tax purposes....

I agree with CB - right on.