Calf Inhaled Milk now what??

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I have a 5 week old Brown Swiss Steer calf that i was about to wean, Then this morning, I was giving him his bottle and he pressed his neck down on to the fence Hard and he started breathing hard and milk started coming out of his nose and he was sucking on the bottle nipple so hard it took me a little bit to get the bottle out of his mouth so he'd stop sucking on the bottle. And he Never coughed after inhaling the milk, I have had calves get milk in the wrong tube before and they always coughed several times and we're fine. No meds necessary. Not Him, he didn't cough ,he walked around alternating between putting his nose in the air and putting his nose almost on the ground and making a terrible mooing noise like a dying calf makes. I had to be at an appointment so I left thinking he was going to be dead when I got back. When I got back it he was still alive,just laying down breathing hard, and he won't get up. It's to late to call my vet tonight and I was wondering what I can do for him? If anything?

ReCover antihistamine would help dry his lungs out. We use it on backwards calves that don't get all the fluid out of their lungs.
I guess you could try epinephrine to try and relax his air way.
Good Luck.

Hi I have a 5 week old Brown Swiss Steer calf that i was about to wean, Then this morning, I was giving him his bottle and he pressed his neck down on to the fence Hard and he started breathing hard and milk started coming out of his nose and he was sucking on the bottle nipple so hard it took me a little bit to get the bottle out of his mouth so he'd stop sucking on the bottle. And he Never coughed after inhaling the milk, I have had calves get milk in the wrong tube before and they always coughed several times and we're fine. No meds necessary. Not Him, he didn't cough ,he walked around alternating between putting his nose in the air and putting his nose almost on the ground and making a terrible mooing noise like a dying calf makes. I had to be at an appointment so I left thinking he was going to be dead when I got back. When I got back it he was still alive,just laying down breathing hard, and he won't get up. It's to late to call my vet tonight and I was wondering what I can do for him? If anything?
This will not save your calf but when bottle feeding keep the bottle low where the calf cannot suck and inhale milk.

The bottle was low, he had his neck pressed on to the fence bar and it was like he couldn't swallow the milk with his neck on the fence like that,so it started coming out of his nose. The nipple had a small hole in the end also,so he wasn't getting the milk to fast either. I hold my calf bottles knee high on me.

Latest posts