Calf in the mud

Help Support CattleToday:

OvertonAngus

Reaction score
I have a straight jersey calf that got stuck in the mud around the pond some time over the weekend and was found Sunday night by the land owner. We checked on them Friday and this calf was fine and then we were out of town for the weekend. Anyway this calf was super weak. Couldn't get him to suck a bottle Sunday night. I gave him half a tube of stand up Sunday and first thing Monday I tube fed him. Monday evening he seemed to be doin better but still to weak to suck a bottle or nurse the cow. The cow isn't a very good momma and won't stand for him either even in the barn stall. My main question is how often during the day do I need to feed him to get him back up. I've been giving him milk replacer and electrolytes. He's a little over a week old. I don't have a thermometer yet to temp him. His nose is snotty and his breathing off so I'm giving him a shot of antibiotic today too. This is my first time dealing with this so all the help I can get is GREATLY appreciated!

Keep him hydrated is about all you can do. I'd be worried that he got too dehydrated and if he doesnt get better quick he probably has organ damage. Sometimes they linger and then finally die once organ damage is done by dehydration.

Latest posts