Calf got killed

Help Support CattleToday:

Our problem is so many city folks moving in and thinking Fido that's so sweet with little Billy wouldn't hurt a fly. It's hard to convince them that Fido has such a potential for mayhem when he runs loose in the countryside.

My policy now is SS. Why use a shovel? Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

.22 cal, No, No, No.... 7mm mag. Best words of advice I have ever received, "One shot, one dead dog. 2 if they are side by side". If the dog is on/in your pasture, KILL IT!

Good advice...I discovered once that a .22 doesn't always kill instantly...if you don't want to deal with the possibility of the dog heading home use something bigger.

I wouldn't recommend ever letting the neighbors know or see what happened to their dog and where he ended up. Just not a good idea - when he doesn't come home they'll figure it out. With enough folks complaining about their dogs they won't ever know who was responsible in the end.

This is the rule on our place: Dog in Pasture = Dead Dog.

Went through a similiar problem several years ago. Neighbor picked up every stray dog in the Country. Specialized in large dogs.Dogs constantly roamed on our farm. Not wanting to be at odds with the neighbor, who has since moved, I politely told her she had to do something with them. Told me she would, but never did. Two Calves ended up dead, and found a leg drug over onto her place. I killed 3 of her dogs, never said a word, I think she figured where they went. Moral to the story is: Courtesy does not count.If they were a real good neighbor, their dogs would be penned up and not allowed to roam. If someone elses negligence, is hitting you in the wallet, it's time to act. Tennessee State Laws says if they are on your property and are threatening your Stock, you can kill them. I dont take the "Threatening" part into consideration, as I believe any Dog, traveling alone or in a Pack is a major threat.

You got it crowder. Most folks here know that if they are warned once about their dogs chasing stock they will look like swiss cheese the next pass through. They don't want to pay for dead or injured animals either. If they don't think enough of the dog to keep him off your place do what you gotta. Just stay out of trouble. Sorry for your loss Sid.

Campground Cattle":o51iu6qn said:
Dusty Britches":o51iu6qn said:
Campground Cattle":o51iu6qn said:
Calm down Sid now is the time to be calm cool and calculated.
You can replace the bull, don't make threats a box of 22's can wreak havoc on you as well.
Its time for silent methods steel traps, snares, anti freeze.
Look up Texas HB 151 good info.

Be carfeul what you recommend. Anti-freeze is illegal and will get you in lots of trouble. How? When vultures and other animals die from eating the one that was poisoned. Vultures are federally protected and killing them, even inadvertantly can get you prosecuted.

A .22 does wonders on stray dogs known to attack livestock. My neighbor runs coon dogs and when we see strays we usually leave them alone, but they've never bothered our cows.

Mexican Buzzards are number one on the kill list. Apparently you have not been introduced to the black devils. There are lots of things against the law.
Nuff Said
I agree with Camp. dead is dead no matter how ya do it.

So sorry about your loss. I hate people like that. They don't care enough about their dogs to even try to ensure their safety, let alone anyone elses animals/property. Any dog that causes trouble is a dead dog here. No matter how attached to it I am. I've gotten lucky to not have that problem. Wage war and hopefully they will get tired of replacing dogs.

Muratic said:
I bet saggy pants runs at them a hootin and a hollerin and just spooks them off. then stands out there like a scarebuzzard the rest of the day.

Saggy pants - that's good. Did you think of that by yourself or did you have help?

There are highly effective ways of dealing with stray dogs and coyotes that are legal. M44's and and 44 cal's. Don't want to deal with M44's? Have the game warden do it.

And as far as buzzards - I've not had a problem with them eating my calves. I imagine if I did come upon that situation, I would move the calf to the barn or some other covered area where the vultures couldn't see it. My humble opinion is there may be a problem with the health of the calf if vultures have time to find it and attack it. But, I don't know, I am just a whipersnapper with saggy pants. ;-)

Dusty Britches":13yckac8 said:
And as far as buzzards - I've not had a problem with them eating my calves. I imagine if I did come upon that situation, I would move the calf to the barn or some other covered area where the vultures couldn't see it. My humble opinion is there may be a problem with the health of the calf if vultures have time to find it and attack it. But, I don't know, I am just a whipersnapper with saggy pants. ;-)

If a vulture even lands in or anear a pasture, doesn't matter if there are calves or not, the cows go on the attack and run them off. They trreat them the same as coyotes, dogs, etc.

dun

dun":34ploi62 said:
Dusty Britches":34ploi62 said:

If a vulture even lands in or anear a pasture, doesn't matter if there are calves or not, the cows go on the attack and run them off. They trreat them the same as coyotes, dogs, etc.

dun

Just hope the Mexican buzzards don't move your way, they attack 25 to 30 at a time and I mean attack. As far as moving it to the barn probablly start to stink, there tatic is the cow can't fight them all, they go for the eyes on the calf first. Then it is on the way to being over.

Caustic Burno":3fsul425 said:
dun":3fsul425 said:
Dusty Britches":3fsul425 said:

dun

Just hope the Mexican buzzards don't move your way, they attack 25 to 30 at a time and I mean attack. As far as moving it to the barn probablly start to stink, there tatic is the cow can't fight them all, they go for the eyes on the calf first. Then it is on the way to being over.

We've just the old generic turkey vultures, usually no more then half a dozen at a time.
Last week I had wacked a coyote and left it lay. The vultures found it and started hangin around. The cows really took exception ot it so I moved them to another pasture. That afternoon the spent hours chasing the wild turkeys out of the pasture. They acted just like they did with the vultures.

dun

bout a yr ago a neighbor's dog killed some of my chickens, carried one home , the neighbor drove down with his check book to pay for them!! the dog got out of the pen and followed him don and immiediatly went after more chickens, the neighbor reached in his truck, bang one dead dog, he calmly walked over and tossed the dog in the back of his truck, apoligized asked how much he owed me offered a check, i declined!!!! couple of days later the was a case of cold ones setting on my front porch, and a $50.00 bill in an envelope, no note no nothing he claimed it wasn't him that left it but?????????
the cold ones were good and the $50.00 bought some more chickens with money left over!!
good neighbors are hard to find but when they are good the are great!!! :D :D

Latest posts