Calf got killed

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I am so :mad: I can hardly see strait! Our full blood hereford bull calf we raised on a bottle from the day he was born got killed. I am almost 100% certian it was the neighbors be nice dogs that run loose all over the neighborhood. They are in our place all the time, and all the neighbors places too. I called in a report to the sheriffs office and he said that there have been 6 complaints in the past week over these dogs. He said he slapped them with a $300 fine but since we didn't see it happen theres nothing we can do! Those dogs didn't make it throught the night :mad: The thing is everytime one of their stupid dogs doesn't come home they get 3 more! They terrorize the neighborhood! One of the neighbor's wive's is scared to go to the mail box anymore because these dogs rush her, another neighbors son is scared to ride his bike by the house because of the dogs rushing him! The've rushed me when I was riding my horse by and I came closer then I wanted to be to hitting the ground when she reared and bolted. I've had it - THIS IS WAR!

Calm down Sid now is the time to be calm cool and calculated.
You can replace the bull, don't make threats a box of 22's can wreak havoc on you as well.
Its time for silent methods steel traps, snares, anti freeze.
Look up Texas HB 151 good info.

sidney411":1ee9k097 said:
I am so :mad: I can hardly see strait! Our full blood hereford bull calf we raised on a bottle from the day he was born got killed. I am almost 100% certian it was the neighbors be nice dogs that run loose all over the neighborhood. They are in our place all the time, and all the neighbors places too. I called in a report to the sheriffs office and he said that there have been 6 complaints in the past week over these dogs. THIS IS WAR!

Been there done that. Don't make threats, don't sound off too loud. 22 with a scope for the yard dogs, 22 semi auto on hip for riding, shotgun for going to the mail box. Yard - dogs were after your stock, Riding - dogs bit your horse, Mailbox - dogs attacked. Just stick to your story and waste em.

Sydney.. so very sorry for your loss. We had a similar problem five years ago on a place we bought to put heifers on. Right outside of city limits, and it was horrible. Lost a day old calf (while we were THERE) and then a yearling bull they chased over a panel gate. Broke his leg in three places, took him to A & M and ended up donating him. :(

The previous posters pretty much said it all. I can understand your anger and frustration!

sidney411":2bqfomeg said:
I am so :mad: I can hardly see strait! Our full blood hereford bull calf we raised on a bottle from the day he was born got killed. I am almost 100% certian it was the neighbors be nice dogs that run loose all over the neighborhood.

What did the crime scene look like - bite marks on calf, etc?

I agree with others - get rid of the problems, but do it in a discreet manner.

Campground made some good suggestions. Hard to shoot them all if you can't be on hand to watch things all the time.
Can you and neighbors get together and make some sort of legal charge against the dogs threatening you? Seems owner should be responsible for his dangerous animals rushing and scaring people and horses they are riding.

~

Sid, I am so sorry to hear of your shocking loss.

Don't make threats, don't sound off too loud. 22 with a scope for the yard dogs, 22 semi auto on hip for riding, shotgun for going to the mail box. Yard - dogs were after your stock, Riding - dogs bit your horse, Mailbox - dogs attacked. Just stick to your story and waste em.

get rid of the problems, but do it in a discreet manner.

There is some good info here, think smart about what to do next.

I use a huge wolf sized have-a-hart trap to make my dog problems dissapear. It has worked like a charm for 15 years.

Sid you need to become familar with this

H.B. No. 151

AN ACT

relating to offenses involving dogs or coyotes that are a danger to
livestock and other animals.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter B, Chapter 822, Health and Safety
Code, is amended by amending the subchapter and by transferring
Section 822.033 to the subchapter, renumbering that section as
Section 822.013, and amending that section to read as follows:

SUBCHAPTER B. DOGS AND COYOTES THAT ARE A DANGER TO ANIMALS
Sec. 822.011. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "Dog or coyote" includes a crossbreed between a
dog and a coyote.
(2) "Livestock" includes exotic livestock as defined
by Section 161.001, Agriculture Code.
Sec. 822.012. CERTAIN DOGS AND COYOTES PROHIBITED FROM
RUNNING AT LARGE; CRIMINAL PENALTY. (a) The owner, keeper, or
person in control of a dog or coyote that the owner, keeper, or
person knows is accustomed to run, worry, or kill livestock,
domestic animals, or fowls [goats, sheep, or poultry] may not
permit the dog or coyote to run at large.
(b) A person who violates this section commits an offense.
An offense under this subsection is punishable by a fine of not more
than $100.
(c) Each time a dog or coyote runs at large in violation of
this section constitutes a separate offense.
Sec. 822.013 [822.033]. DOGS OR COYOTES THAT ATTACK
[DOMESTIC] ANIMALS. (a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is
about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, [sheep, goats,
calves, or other] domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on
behalf of the owner if the owner or person has [having] knowledge of
the attack.
(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this
section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in
control of the dog or coyote.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or
coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, [sheep,
goats, calves, or other] domestic animals, or fowls [is a public
nuisance. Any person] may detain or impound the dog or coyote and
return it to its [until the dog's] owner or deliver the dog or
coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog
or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care
of the dog or coyote [is notified] and all damage done by the dog or
coyote [has been determined and paid to the proper persons].
(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or
coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, [sheep, goats,
calves, or other] domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog
or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority
[kill the dog. A sheriff, deputy sheriff, constable, police
officer, magistrate, or county commissioner may enter the premises
of the owner of the dog and kill the dog if the owner fails to do
so].
(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license
under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or
coyote under this section.
SECTION 2. Sections 822.032 and 822.034, Health and Safety
Code, are repealed.
SECTION 3. The change in law made by this Act to Section
822.011, Health and Safety Code, applies only to an offense
committed on or after the effective date of this Act. An offense
committed before the effective date of this Act is covered by the
law in effect when the offense was committed, and the former law is
continued in effect for that purpose. For purposes of this section,
an offense was committed before the effective date of this Act if
any element of the offense occurred before that date.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2003.

so sorry to hear that sid. a calf lost like that is bad. weve lost calves to dogs. an lets just say there was less dogs around. your problem reminds me of one ive had. neighbors dog got out can to the house killed 2 hens. told neighbor keep dog up or no more dog. well he hit my brothers and killed some yoms an guienies. we told him last warning either he kills the dog or we will. so he now watches dog if its out b/c it will be killed. hence dog hasnt been back. scott

Campground Cattle":1tpos3wa said:
You can replace the bull, don't make threats a box of 22's can wreak havoc on you as well.

Be carfeul what you recommend. Anti-freeze is illegal and will get you in lots of trouble. How? When vultures and other animals die from eating the one that was poisoned. Vultures are federally protected and killing them, even inadvertantly can get you prosecuted.

A .22 does wonders on stray dogs known to attack livestock. My neighbor runs coon dogs and when we see strays we usually leave them alone, but they've never bothered our cows.

Many years ago, I had a friend, JL, that had exotic deer. he kept them in a high fence pen, about a 1/2 acre.

One night, strays got into the pen and ran 30 of the deer to death. Five more had to be shot from injuries. The next night, the dogs came back to get the remaining 5 deer. JL sat up, killed one dog and wounded a second. He followed the second back to where it lived. JL knocked on the door - still holding is rifle - and asked if the wounded dog belonged to the homeowner. The man who answered the door acknowledged it was his dog. JL explained what happened. The owner said not to worry - it would be handled. He had 5 dogs and knew his neighbor had 2 that ran with his. He killed all of them because he knew JL would sue for those deer.

I understand the rules of "SSS" and have been abiding by those until now. I'm not even going to post how many of these dogs of their's have crossed our land and didn't make it out. We've politely asked them to keep their dogs off our land on multiple occasions. It doesn't work. These dogs they have are doberman's, shepards, and mutts - I'm talking good sized dogs here. I have done research on the laws, thank you Camp for the refresher. I was also refreshed by the sheriff about the laws and he told me that if I saw any dogs on our place - shoot to kill. He also said he would do the same, and I know of 3 other neighbors that have and will continue to do the same. But this is the last straw - I put too much time and effort in that bull to have him killed by some 2-bit mutts! The neighbor in the pasture next to the pasture he was killed in has Alpacas, some of those animals are worth more then 1/2 my herd. He's serious as a snake bite about protecting those animals too. No more playing nice!

sidney411":3vhhig2b said:
II was also refreshed by the sheriff about the laws and he told me that if I saw any dogs on our place - shoot to kill.

sorry about your loss sidney... i know where you are cominig from... had to call the sheriff out once and he told me the same thing... if on your place, you can shoot em to protect your herd.

jt

Dusty Britches":3h4yu3d9 said:
Campground Cattle":3h4yu3d9 said:

Be carfeul what you recommend. Anti-freeze is illegal and will get you in lots of trouble. How? When vultures and other animals die from eating the one that was poisoned. Vultures are federally protected and killing them, even inadvertantly can get you prosecuted.

A .22 does wonders on stray dogs known to attack livestock. My neighbor runs coon dogs and when we see strays we usually leave them alone, but they've never bothered our cows.

Mexican Buzzards are number one on the kill list. Apparently you have not been introduced to the black devils. There are lots of things against the law.
Nuff Said

.22 cal, No, No, No.... 7mm mag. Best words of advice I have ever received, "One shot, one dead dog. 2 if they are side by side". If the dog is on/in your pasture, KILL IT! then call the owner and tell him to come get it.

sidney411":1q1k2o8g said:
... He said he slapped them with a $300 fine but since we didn't see it happen theres nothing we can do!

Same thing should apply when something happens to their dogs! Just make sure they don't see it!

Campground Cattle":3j3jpohy said:

A word of advice, if you are not there 24/7 then don't use the steel traps, the owners will hear the dog when it gets caught and go looking for it and free it.

Your a deer hunter, aren't you, use one of those rifles and drop them in their tracks, then dispose of the body. This weekend would be a really good time, alot of firework noise going on ;-)

mom

Dusty Britches said:

quote]

OK, here's one for you. Since the vultures are protected just like down here, what do you do when you see them trying to pick the eye's out of a newborn calf?

I know what I do.

flaboy":1r9vysz7 said:
OK, here's one for you. Since the vultures are protected just like down here, what do you do when you see them trying to pick the eye's out of a newborn calf?

I know what I do.

I bet saggy pants runs at them a hootin and a hollerin and just spooks them off. then stands out there like a scarebuzzard the rest of the day.

I've been lucky around the dogs and coyotes. I have a couple of old cows that would twist an udder off for a chance to pummel anything that even resembles a canine, but I still don't take dogs or yotes lightly. I have some friends that had a pack of 'neighbors' dogs kill a couple of calves. They went to war on the dogs....found the tractor's crankcase full of gasloine a short time later. The silent approach may be the best way.

JB

Latest posts