calf got kicked, broken tooth

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I had a new born calf that got kicked in the head by the cement feed bunk and it somewhat broke a front tooth. The tooth is broke and flipped down, but still in there, like the root and stub, and alot of blood. There is a tooth beside it that seemed to wiggle a little, but isn't busted like the other. I brought the mom in and milked her and tubed the calf thinking it won't want to suck. Any advice for this tooth? Should I finish breaking it off, or let it hang? Anbesol(sp)? Or just leave everyone alone?

Alice":1ufdmb35 said:
I'd sure leave it alone for tonight. Poor little thing...call your vet tomorrow and ask if something else needs to be done. It's too late now, or maybe not, but aspirin might help the pain, and if you have some banamine, give it a cc now. At least, that's what I'd do.

Alice

I had a heifer step on the face of her calf last yr and broke 2 of the front teeth out like your - hanging on basically by a thread. Blood everywhere - I couldn't believe how much that calf bled. I took him to the vet and they numbed him and cut out that section of broke teeth and gums. He did not got those teeth back because the gums/jaw bone was damaged. He was fine as long as he was nursing but could not graze effectively like a brokemouth cow. He didn't amount for much but he did heal and the bleeding finally stopped after a couple days.

I took the calf in to the vet yesterday. Kinda the same deal as Sidney. They had to cut some tissue out that was damaged, put a couple stitches in. One was so damaged there won't be an adult tooth, the other one they think may come in. (hope!) And as always it was one from my small registered herd instead of a steer from the commercials!

Latest posts