Calf feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

The first sign of trouble is almost always loss of appetite . If you go out to feed and he just does not seem as entusiastic as usual, that is a warning . Scours in calves that continue to eat are easier to handle . In this case the cow handled the job for the first 5 1/2 days which means that you've done it for 4 1/2 . In that time you've had to put him on new milk and guess at how much he needs . IMHO you need a couple more days for the first sigh, but it seems to be going well .

Larry

larryshoat":2vqr4o16 said:
The first sign of trouble is almost always loss of appetite . If you go out to feed and he just does not seem as entusiastic as usual, that is a warning . Scours in calves that continue to eat are easier to handle . In this case the cow handled the job for the first 5 1/2 days which means that you've done it for 4 1/2 . In that time you've had to put him on new milk and guess at how much he needs . IMHO you need a couple more days for the first sigh, but it seems to be going well .

Larry

Scours in calves that continue to eat are easier to handle .

:nod: Oh, heck yeah! :nod: No truer words were ever spoken. I always said if I could keep 'em eating...well, you get my drift. I had a preemie, I know she was a preemie, that was full of herself and kept eating...and that baby scoured, and scoured, and scoured...for 4 weeks! I still have her, and she ain't goin' nowhere. :heart:

Larry, would you vaccinate now? I'd gotten to a point that every animal that hit this property got vaccinated right off the get go. What's your thoughts on this?

Alice

Alice":1wfe9g6v said:
larryshoat":1wfe9g6v said:

Larry

Scours in calves that continue to eat are easier to handle .

:nod: Oh, heck yeah! :nod: No truer words were ever spoken. I always said if I could keep 'em eating...well, you get my drift. I had a preemie, I know she was a preemie, that was full of herself and kept eating...and that baby scoured, and scoured, and scoured...for 4 weeks! I still have her, and she ain't goin' nowhere. :heart:

Larry, would you vaccinate now? I'd gotten to a point that every animal that hit this property got vaccinated right off the get go. What's your thoughts on this?

Alice

Yes, I agree . We get the first round of vaccines in them the first week . The vaccines we have today are far better than what we had evevn 5 years ago . I do feel bad that with one calf some vaccine gets thrown away, but Bovi-Sheild 5 gold comes in a 5 dose size and I think it is an excellent vaccine .

Larry

Latest posts