calf falling behind!!

Help Support CattleToday:

lineman-up

Reaction score
i have seven hostein steers. i got them over a two week period. the last one i got has always been smaller but he seems to be falling further and further behind. i have one that is huge but the rest are pretty uniform in, size besides the runt. he does and always has eaten real well but just doesnt seem to grow. so i guess my question is will he catch up on his own or do i need to do something special? the steers are about 3 monthes old

just keep feeding him like you are.an watch an make sure he gets his share of feed.some calves are just born small an have to catch up.that maybe what his problem is.

couple of ideas - Holstein calves vary widely in size when they are young, but eventually turn out around the same size. 60-110 lbs if memory serves me right. There may be nothing wrong. On the other hand, try giving him an Ivomec shot. If he has worms, it could be restricting growth. What is the calf's diet?

the calf is on a no-roughage diet. he only eats corn and protein pellets, and has some salt blocks. i was thinking about worming, is there any signs to worm besides slow grow. i know he is getting his share of food as they always have food available and he is one of the more aggressive eaters, he will push his way right to the trough. thanks for the help

Quick check for worms would be big belly, less muscle definition, shaggy hair, etc. Just dirty!

The best check is to take a fecal to the vet and have it checked

there is another possiblity,
a previous illness that stunted his growth, like pnemonia, damage to his lungs that would be difficult to detect without a vet exam. As well a possible BVD carrier; a shedder of the disease;a PI calf
Just a thought

gerardplauche":8x9k9t1k said:
couple of ideas - Holstein calves vary widely in size when they are young, but eventually turn out around the same size. 60-110 lbs if memory serves me right. There may be nothing wrong. On the other hand, try giving him an Ivomec shot. If he has worms, it could be restricting growth. What is the calf's diet?

Holstein genetics are extremely adverse so there are many variables that contribute to size of frame and weight growth.I would keep an eye on him and his actual feed intake.If he is smaller he may be being bullied by the others and missing out on feed.It is always a good idea to deworm all animals and what RR said, a previous illness , that could be an important factor causing his growth to be stunted.

rockridgecattle":37onqloc said:
there is another possiblity,
a previous illness that stunted his growth, like pnemonia, damage to his lungs that would be difficult to detect without a vet exam. As well a possible BVD carrier; a shedder of the disease;a PI calf
Just a thought
I tend to agree, some holstein calves have such a rough start that they never catch up.If he is falling behind you need to separate him from the others , put him in a pen with another small one .

Ive got some holstein / angus crosses and had the same thing with one calf , right when the weather turned he seemed to have a hard time with it , got kind of stressed and was worrying me just a bit , then after about two cold spells he kicked in and has been putting on the weight and catching up quickly. We had gotten them and vacc'd and wormed about 4 weeks prior to the cold coming. the guy I get them from is not the greatest calf raiser in the world so usually it takes me about four to six weeks to get them on good feed ratios and gaining well and looking good. And we give em hay , and hay , and more hay , seems to help the stomachs alot.

thanks for all the good info. what should i be vaccinating them with? they have not had anything for med or vaccines but some medicated milk replacer. i have purchased some large rounds of cornstalks for them to chew on but i dont really want to go buy hay, it is around 85$ for a large round and the cornstalks are about 20$. i pre-paid for all my corn already so i would rather use that. he just seems really immmature, i was watching him last night and when he got close enough i felt the top of his head and he doesnt even have any horn buds yet!! does this mean anything? i am going to call the vet to get them dehorned but was told to wait til you can feel the horn buds. he doesnt seem to get bullied at all, actually he kind of seems to be the bully. maybe i will put him in a pen with another small one for a while . is it possible he is using alot more energy trying to fight his way into the bunk, and trying to be a tough guy??

sounds like that calf is polled.an yes i know its a half holstein.but holsteins can be polled as well.its vary rare to see polled holsteins.

bigbull-----these claves are not half holsteins they are full holstein as far as i know. if it has no horn buds by now you think it is polled? that would be cool

dun-- i am very sure of the age of all my calves right down to the day. i picked them up from a local dairy farm as day olds. he was smaller from the day i brought him home but has always been the best eater. i think i will try some rearanging tonight and put him in with some smaller ones for a while.

Latest posts