Calf Manna

Help Support CattleToday:

I have heard there are better products, but I've had pretty good luck using it to get calves started on grain. Especially coming off the bottle or even while bottling calves. I don't use it as a full feed. As it's not intended for that. It's a supplement!

I use it to "top dress" the feed I want them started on. It smells great and is packed with nutrients, vitamins, minerals etc.

Seemed to work good for me!

Edited to add..
Somewhere in my Bottle calf thread is Willie. He took to feed like a duck to water on that stuff...

I'm curious about it too. Bought it first time this calving season. One store carries it, another didn't carry it anymore with the reason people not really using it anymore. Probably, as AllenW says, there are better products to feed.
We offered free choice. Have a pen set up for the calves with some hay and a feeder bucket with the stuff. Filled it up once a day. Nobody went crazy for the calf Manna, but they did eat it. Well, whichever calf decided to mosy into the pen. Bottle calf really liked it and for them anything in additional nutrition is a bonus in my view.

So, to all the smart people. What else is there instead of calf Manna and how does it compare to nutritionally?

I used it to get bottle calves started eating feed, and as a supplement to their feed after weaning them off milk, and had good luck with it. However, I haven't raised any baby calves in about 30 years, so if someone says there's a better product out there I wouldn't argue with them.

Thank you all for the reply's! I had bought a bag for my aunt's rabbits and I read the back it looks like it's for most animals, but not sheep. So I was curious about the nutritional value for calves, and if it's worth it price wise.

What's in it? What is the cost of it?

We used to use it to transition bottle calves to forage but haven't used it for years. I know a team roper who uses it on his horses, easy to get when he's travelling, etc. I do remember I did like it, and I think it has some milk of some kind in it.

Its a supplement FH used to make feed more nutritious. Lots of vitamins in it. Its used frequently around performance horses. My dad used it for years on his race horses. It will sure put a shine on their coat. You only use a small amount each day. The bag used to come with a small cardboard box to measure out the product. I'm sure it would be great for calves transitioning them on onto a creep feed.

Its a supplement FH used to make feed more nutritious. Lots of vitamins in it. Its used frequently around performance horses. My dad used it for years on his race horses. It will sure put a shine on their coat. You only use a small amount each day. The bag used to come with a small cardboard box to measure out the product. I'm sure it would be great for calves transitioning them on onto a creep feed.
I realize it's a supplement. I was hoping to find out what exactly, are the ingredients.

I realize it's a supplement. I was hoping to find out what exactly, are the ingredients.
Here is what I found:
INGREDIENTS

Soybean Meal, Corn, Hominy Feed, Feeding Oatmeal, Dried Whey, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Linseed Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Vegetable Oil, Fenugreek Seed, Anise Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Sulfur, Iron Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Propionic Acid

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude ProteinMin25.00%
LysineMin1.40%
MethionineMin0.30%
Crude FatMin3.00%
Crude FiberMin3.00%
Crude FiberMax6.00%
Acid Detergent FiberMax10.00%
CalciumMin0.70%
CalciumMax1.20%
PhosphorusMin0.60%
SaltMin0.50%
SaltMax1.00%
SodiumMin0.20%
SodiumMax0.40%
CopperMin15 ppm
CopperMax35 ppm
SeleniumMin0.10 ppm
ZincMin125 ppm
Vitamin AMin20,000 IU/lb

Thanks. Looks pretty good. Says it has Vit E which is important, but apparently not enough of it to list on analysis. Soybean meal is a great source of protein. Very utilizable.

Calf Manna has good ingredients, in my opinion though your going to be better off using an actual calf starter to start calves on feed.