calf down, need help

Help Support CattleToday:

Well it's been what, 20 days? Nothing new until two days ago and he stood up by himself for about ten minutes then went down. His legs in the front weren't straightened , like tightfrom being down so long. Last few days we been slinging him up longer to help that. Then today he walked ten feet very very slowly, and ate w his friends out of the feeder! I don't want to load the video to YouTube as it wastes alot of data on my phone. But today and Wednesday were big days after 20 days of nothing. I think his solo calf hut w heater all day has helped. Still not out of the woods but made big steps tiday, I have to admit I thought id have to put him down bc we were seeing no improvement for so long

Candee,

Thanks for the up date.

Just a little clarification here.
When I said "Sounds to me like the calf is suffering from malnutrition."
I did not mean he was not being feed proper nutrition.
I meant he was not digesting the feed he was getting and/or was not passing said nutrition into the blood stream and onto the mussel tissue.
This most commonly ocures from lesions in the stomach and small intestines.

If a blood test tests positive or a recovery to a health normal looking condition within a week or two is made it means his mussel tissue is receiving proper nutrition and he should make a full recovery.

When they do not make a full recovery in 15 days then you are most likely dealing with a neurological problem.
The max I have ever gone with one like this is 30 days, then I put them down.

Has he shown signs of being belligerent or hostile? Does he threaten you in any way?

OK so don't give up just yet and good luck as I too believe in miracles.
SL

Totally back to normal, strong and active and now weaned off his milk for two weeks now and doing great. Very happy cow

Latest posts