Calf Coughing I'm worried!

Help Support CattleToday:

Dezzi120

Reaction score
I got a calf at school and I have noticed that as time went on he picked up a little cough. He only coughs after I give him his bottle. He will cough once or twice the most is three times then he will be completely fine and go on with him drinking his water and eating his grain. I am still pretty much new at raising this calf and everyone is saying he is fine but I don't want to trust them then lose my calf. Anyone know exactly what is going on with him because i don't wanna lose him. Please helpme and my calf.

How long has the calf been doing this?

I have a calf who had a pretty bad bought with pneumonia for a bit. I almost lost him, but got him turned the corner. He still coughs some (though the cough is dry) and coughs during and after he sucks his bottle.

I have had bottle calves in the past that coughed after sucking their bottle too a couple of times.

If the calf is energetic about eating, clear eyes, and nose I would not lose any sleep over it. You can also monitor the temperature of your calf, since that is a pretty easy task in most bottle calves. I take temps in the mornings and evenings on calves I am suspicious are trying to come down with something. Anything over 103 I start to look at pretty close, though if they have been sitting in the sun all afternoon it is not uncommon to find 103.5 or so, which is why I take temps first thing in the morning or later in the evening. Certainly anything over 104 is probably going to get medicated, and the should be showing some symptoms at that time as well of respiratory or digestive upset and the overall dreariness that comes with being feverish.

Today has been about 4 or 5 days. yesterday i noticed that when i was running with all the calves mine stopped and started to cough but to me it was like a tired cough like the ones you get when you have been running to much and you start coughing(usually it sounds like a wet cough once it was dry but other then that it sounds like he has mucus in his system). he is still somewhat energetic he is starting to lose that side of him that likes to run but not to bad though. he still eats all his grain and drinks his water. his eyes are clean and his nose seems plugged just a little. this morning he coughed once and he actually didnt cough after his bottle but i decided to check the tempeture of the bottle and it was cool not completely cold but just cool. could that be a reason why he started to cough in the first place because of drinking a cool bottle in the cold?? i dont think i can check his temp ill call the expert at my school and see if she can do it but they told me yesterday that if the coughing doesnt stop by friday they are gonna treat him with what i have no idea.

We had a bout with the coughing a few years ago, treated the calves affected with Resflor. Cleared it up right away.

im guessing that resflor is what i need to treat my calf with right?? ive also heard about banamine and something else i cant remember but what would be the best thing to treat him with??

The reason we used Resflor is the vet said it also treats the fever. I don't know if it is the best, but it worked wonders for us.

Resflor is Nuflor and Banamine combined in one subcutaneous dose .

Nuflor is a brood spectrum antibiotic so if it is not pneumonia but something else ,it should treat that as well.

Have you taken your bottle calf's temp yet ?

ok so should i just chose resflor or just chose the one thing such as banamine or nuflor????? no i have not taken his temp yet.

Dezzi120":1wiq7qdw said:
ok so should i just chose resflor or just chose the one thing such as banamine or nuflor?????

If you use resflor it is one needle as they are mixed in the bottle already . If you use Nuflor (broad spectrum antibiotic) and Banamine (non steroidal anti inflammatory) you will need to give 2 needles . Either way does not make a difference, as the end result is the same. Use whichever one you have access to, or is the easiest on your wallet .

then i think i should just use the resflor as to see that alot more people like the medication and seen as it has a good response from a lot of people. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You still need to take the calf's temperature. If it does not have a fever, using Resflor or Nuflor + Banamine is not fixing anything. He could have lung worms, as someone suggested.
It is more likely he is getting pneumonia, but still getting a reading on his vital signs is necessary and the first thing any vet will do!

Latest posts