calf catcher skid steer mounted

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll be the odd one out, if your cows are used to the skid steer running around I could see it working.

Obviously you wouldn't be able to run them down, but I don't see you being able to successfully run one down with a UTV either without risking injury to the calf. The skid steer has the advantage there with the catcher being out front where you can see, and having more agile controls at slow speed, plus better maneuverability.

I would think the risk of running one over would be less in a skid steer, as you can see really well in front of the wheels, dash is in the way on a UTV.

Perhaps you could chain up a bale ring to your bucket and try it as proof of concept before jumping in.

How is running a #300 calf down the chute to the squeeze a PITA?

My experience is they don't even flinch at the larger size. I have never put my hands on a calf with out it making a commotion. It diesnt sound like less stress. There is zero risk from momma cows in the squeeze and you are not buying additional equipment that you are not already using for the cow heard.

It may be necessary for some people to work them at birth but it is at an additional cost and with additional risk... not less.
I can't imagine putting hundreds of pairs in the corral, sorting calves off, running them down the chute, tagging them with random numbers, then spending the rest of the summer trying to write down which calf number belongs to which cow.
On top of all that I don't know of any operations that have their cattle anywhere near a set of corrals by the time calves are 300 lbs.
This might work for folks that have a handful of cows down in a small area all summer, but if the number of cows is small why tag calves at all?

Last edited:
I can't imagine putting hundreds of pairs in the corral, sorting calves off, running them down the chute, tagging them with random numbers, then spending the rest of the summer trying to write down which calf number belongs to which cow.
On top of all that I don't know of any operations that have their cattle anywhere near a set of corrals by the time calves are 300 lbs.
This might work for folks that have a handful of cows down in a small area all summer, but if the number of cows is small why tag calves at all?
We do it all the time with pastures that hold 150-250 head, each. It's not a numbers game. They get matched up right away as they come out the chute, not later.

No one tags calves at birth here or any where around here except for seed stock people or maybe a little hobby farm so they can name them at the same time. It's actually the opposite. Small guys with pretty wide open pastures and pet cows are more likely to tag at birth. Most of the cows generally have calves in the brush and you don't see even them for several weeks. If they do bring them out the odds of catching one are slim to none between the brush and the Brahman influence cattle. Our cattle will ball up, make a V and charge what ever is making that calf beller like some national geographic deal where a Lion is trying to eat a Water Buffalo baby.

All the cattle have to get gathered and worked before weaning if you are going to tag and cut them. Even if people hold calves past weaning, they are likely getting loaded and sent to another property for that.

A good friend of mine runs almost 1000 momma cows buy himself. There is no one riding cows every morning to see who calved. He brings in a crew to gather and work them, with him, when ever he needs cattle worked. You will see him putting around place to place with his old Ford, no tailgate, and bed full of salt and mineral blocks, a cube feeder, maybe a ground feed feeder in the winter. No horses, fancy tractors, no one permanently on the pay roll.

As an example one place is about 15K acres. It has 5, roughly 3K pastures. It also has couple hundred acre catch trap one one side of the pens and a 100ac lane/ hold trap one the other with assorted lanes and traps to work cattle through and bring cattle in to that facility. You clean out one pasture bring them through the pens, work them, match them up, push them back to a pasture. Go to the next one. There are usually not cattle in every pasture so they can rotate or rest if need be.

If you don't have a set up like those people just rotate accordingly to make sure the cattle end up in a pasture adjoining facilities that time of year.

I am well aware some of yall can't do that. The last couple posters have not said they are in the same position as yall. Like I said in the previous one, I'm just asking if it's necessary because I understand it is not necessary for very one to do. It's an expensive and potentially dangerous task if it's not absolutely necessary.

:unsure: This is all very interesting. Up until a couple days ago I had always thought I was the "calf catcher".
One local rancher had always caught as many newborn calves as possible to earmark them. When he
was in his early 80's a cow put a stop to that activity.

From what I have looked at the skid steer attachment looks like a disaster waiting to happen. The ones that attach to
the side of an ATV/UTV may be useable in certain terrain.
Two of my calves last year liked to run. Once they had their legs under them, I don't think Dash for Cash could have
caught them.

Every place is different. Cattle with different temperaments, different terrain, different weather conditions etc... How
important is that tag ? How much stress does it create for the cow and calf ?

Here everyone tags calves. Generally on the day they are born. Cows end up leaving the hay meadows in April and they don't all go in the same direction so they have to be matched up. It is a lot quicker and easier to match up numbers than to pair them up with nothing else to go on.

In my case they are going to a summer pasture where there is no corral. About 3 trips with 4 or 5 trailer loads per trip. We have to have pairs that match up. Otherwise a cow will take off and when her calf arrives on the next load she will be nowhere in sight. At that point which direction does the calf head? That is a wreck looking to happen. So all the trailers parked side by side. 1, 2, 3 everyone opens the trailer doors at the same time. Cows look for calves and calves look for cows. And off they go. Some wont be seen again until fall.

Here everyone tags calves. Generally on the day they are born. Cows end up leaving the hay meadows in April and they don't all go in the same direction so they have to be matched up. It is a lot quicker and easier to match up numbers than to pair them up with nothing else to go on.

In my case they are going to a summer pasture where there is no corral. About 3 trips with 4 or 5 trailer loads per trip. We have to have pairs that match up. Otherwise a cow will take off and when her calf arrives on the next load she will be nowhere in sight. At that point which direction does the calf head? That is a wreck looking to happen. So all the trailers parked side by side. 1, 2, 3 everyone opens the trailer doors at the same time. Cows look for calves and calves look for cows. And off they go. Some wont be seen again until fall.
It's not like that with these Brahman cross cows. They don't leave with out their calves. Plus, we NEVER turn cattle straight out, especially with calves freshly separated.

One time I weaned calves and hauled 3 cows 8-10 miles down the road to another property. I turned them straight out thinking they would stay with the herd. I get a call because they were out. When I got there they were half way back to where they came from. A guy had turn them in a little pasture right off the road. I opened the gate to the roaf, shook a sack, and walked them back down the ditch to the original property. I've posted the pic here before.

That's why they are so easy to pair up. By the time you separate calves and work 200 cows, then work the calves, the mommas are close by waiting for their calves.

The trucky part is the calves need to be big enough to separate horseback or run through pens and not get run over. They can't be too big though or the get pretty independent and harder to match up.

I did work at a pure blood black Angus ranch in college. They had to hold the cows in a trap or they would walk off and never care about their calf. It blew my mind. They also had noticeable calf loss every year to random stuff. I had to dig a calf out of a mud hole and the momma was no where around. I even harassed it a little to make it beller and no cows came running. You couldn't pay me to own cows like that.

I can fake beller when cows are calving and the mommas will start heading for where their calves are hidden. It will put every thing in hearing distance on alert.

It's not like that with these Brahman cross cows. They don't leave with out their calves. Plus, we NEVER turn cattle straight out, especially with calves freshly separated.
As I said there is no corral where these cows go out. And it is leased pasture it cost money to build a corral.

You just don't see Brahma cattle here. Black calves weighing 650 sold for $2.45 here yesterday. An eared calf that size you would be lucky to get $1.10.

As I said there is no corral where these cows go out. And it is leased pasture it cost money to build a corral.

You just don't see Brahma cattle here. Black calves weighing 650 sold for $2.45 here yesterday. An eared calf that size you would be lucky to get $1.10.
I though we were discussing big picture and different methods. My bad, forgot who I was talking to.

Out of curiosity, how do you load the cows & calves up to take them home when they are done on summer pasture?

It all goes back to LOCATION. Here in NY, you darn well better get a shot of Selenium in your newborn or it has a higher chance of not surviving. We are very SE deficient.
Absolutely.

The point Im trying to make is... when these posters come on and say I just got hurt tagging calves at birth and I'm looking for a safer way to do it... maybe, our fist question might need to be... is it absolutely necessary to tag calves at birth in your operation?

I would hate for some one new to think they have to take that risk just because they see some people one here having to do it.

... and honestly... if they are asking that question... do we really think they run the numbers like Dave/B, Greek, Silver? 😉

We haven't seen locations or really know much of any thing about the operations of these last couple posters before a lot of advice was given.

Absolutely.

The point Im trying to make is... when these posters come on and say I just got hurt tagging calves at birth and I'm looking for a safer way to do it... maybe, our fist question might need to be... is it absolutely necessary to tag calves at birth in your operation?

I would hate for some one new to think they have to take that risk just because they see some people one here having to do it.

... and honestly... if they are asking that question... do we really think they run the numbers like Dave/B, Greek, Silver? 😉

We haven't seen locations or really know much of any thing about the operations of these last couple posters before a lot of advice was given.
You make some good points...

I always tagged and banded as soon as possible. But I never did it with a cow over my shoulder. Not that I never had a cow close with a fresh calf being handled, but just that I never felt it was necessary to tempt fate if I didn't have to. Most of my close work was chilled calves that I needed to get into the kitchen to save their lives.

I always made sure I had holding facilities available, and I always trained my cows to come to a bucket. I'd go find calves and mark/remember their locations, and then I'd call their mothers into the corral and close the gate. Then I'd go out and take care of the calves. Banding, vaccinations, ear tags. Turn momma out and she'd go find her calf and it was a done deal. No sweat...

I'm in central Wi, as my avatar says.

Is it absolutely essential for me to tag at birth maybe not but it's what I prefer. I also administer enforce 3 nasal at birth.

I don't believe 4wheeler or side x side calf catcher would work for me as my pasture is no where near as smooth as the ones in there videos. I start calving in March and some years we are fighting 2 feet of snow yet and other years I am dragging tractor axles through the mud to get out to there feeding area. Which is where they calve. My thought was by putting one on the tractor I could get through this area and use it for when I tag calves alone. Also thought that if I had a sick calf I could carry back to the lean to for doctoring instead of dragging it in a toboggan 20 feet behind me in the mud or snow.

I tag and band my bull calves at birth and try to do a iodine dip to the navel. It makes it a lot easier to match calf to cow for me when I'm checking them and when I get ready to haul to summer pasture.

I apologize for opening up a **** storm by asking if anyone had experience with one and how they liked or disliked it. I was simply throwing the idea around to get opinions from people that had them.

Is it absolutely essential for me to tag at birth maybe not but it's what I prefer. I also administer enforce 3 nasal at birth.

I don't believe 4wheeler or side x side calf catcher would work for me as my pasture is no where near as smooth as the ones in there videos. I start calving in March and some years we are fighting 2 feet of snow yet and other years I am dragging tractor axles through the mud to get out to there feeding area. Which is where they calve. My thought was by putting one on the tractor I could get through this area and use it for when I tag calves alone. Also thought that if I had a sick calf I could carry back to the lean to for doctoring instead of dragging it in a toboggan 20 feet behind me in the mud or snow.

I tag and band my bull calves at birth and try to do a iodine dip to the navel. It makes it a lot easier to match calf to cow for me when I'm checking them and when I get ready to haul to summer pasture.

I apologize for opening up a **** storm by asking if anyone had experience with one and how they liked or disliked it. I was simply throwing the idea around to get opinions from people that had them.
It's not your fault. That is all great info and hopefully you will get some advice more specific to you situation now.

If posters will include as much info as possible and people responding will ask more questions these threads will have a lot more useful info imo and we won't have to take the long way around every time. 😄

I must have missed the *** storm. All I saw was a lot of opinions and some pretty decent stories, thoughts, ideas, and considerations. I read it with interest and was informed by several posts. From my perspective you got what you asked for. No apology necessary.

If your pastures arent smooth enough for a 4 wheeler or SxS and you deal with snow and deep mud I fail to see how a skid steer or tractor unit will be of any use. Pastures that knock my teeth out in the skid steer or tractor I can travel 20+mph on a 4 wheeler.

My 4 wheeler will go over muddy rough ground 10x better than my tractor or skid steer. If the ground is that muddy the last thing I want to be doing is driving a tractor around making axle deep ruts.

I though we were discussing big picture and different methods. My bad, forgot who I was talking to.
My next line which I didn't put in there was it is a big old world out there.

Out of curiosity, how do you load the cows & calves up to take them home when they are done on summer pasture?
B's hired men take over a ton of panels and set them up. As soon as we get all the cows out of there they tear them down and take them somewhere else.

The reason you don't see Brahma cattle over there is after the first turn out in the spring they were never seen again. :)

Good grief. Get a Snowmobile, take the tires off the calf catcher and put ski's or sled runners on it. It wasn't a "storm". It was an interesting discussion. And it's not at all unusual for some of us to wander off topic.
I helped lamb 3000-4000 sheep (indoors), every lamb got a tag. It helped get lambs reunited with ewes, it gave a very clear record of
how productive the ewes were, if they were having singles, twins, triplets etc...

I am probably going to get barred from CattleToday because I mention sheep. :)

Head up, big smile your "Ranchin".

Latest posts