calf catcher skid steer mounted

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
I am looking into the possibility of buying a calf catcher that can go on the front of a skid steer or tractor with the skid steer hookup. Has anyone had one? What did you like or dislike? I'm a little nervous about running over a calf if I use it on a tractor. Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

I am looking into the possibility of buying a calf catcher that can go on the front of a skid steer or tractor with the skid steer hookup. Has anyone had one? What did you like or dislike? I'm a little nervous about running over a calf if I use it on a tractor. Any thoughts would be great, thanks.
I'd be nervous about injuring a calf too. That's what they make a feed bucket and corrals for.

Most of the ones I have seen videos of have them mounted on quad bikes or UTV's. If my memory serves me correctly I think Gizmon had one at one stage quite a few years back. She might be worthwhile contacting to see her thoughts on it.
I suspect a skidsteer might be a bit intimidating, they operate at high revs and not really what the cows are used to or are they?

Ken

I used to have pictures on a phone. I have GoBob hay monster bale feeders. I had a cow that was 3 legged lame in the middle of 160acres. I used the tractor to set a bale ring over the cow and hold it down while we doctored her.

They can run faster than a tractor or skid steer. Plus, the aforementioned potential tragedy. Is it to actually catch a calf or keep mama away? You can buy a calf catch pole to snag one under 300 lbs. Or, my best friend drives close to the calf in her feed truck and uses the door to "trap" the calf. If mama is testy, she simply throws the calf in the cab.

I have seen the ones mounted to a 4 wheeler or sidexside but I'm pretty sure that won't work in my pasture, and there is no way I can get in to the pasture with my truck all the time. I was looking at the skidsteer mounted style because I can get around better with it. After getting rolled last year I had my wife go with and keep the cow away with the 4wheeler while I tagged and banded calves. I was just looking for a way that would be safer for any person involved.

I have seen the ones mounted to a 4 wheeler or sidexside but I'm pretty sure that won't work in my pasture, and there is no way I can get in to the pasture with my truck all the time. I was looking at the skidsteer mounted style because I can get around better with it. After getting rolled last year I had my wife go with and keep the cow away with the 4wheeler while I tagged and banded calves. I was just looking for a way that would be safer for any person involved.
Does the cow come to feed?

If a 4 wheeler or SxS one won't work in your pasture I can't see how one mounted on a skid steer or tractor will work. A 4 wheeler or SxS is way smoother, faster, and more nimble than any piece of heavy equipment I've ever seen.
That's what I was getting at also. Doesn't make sense.

Seems like we are getting a rash of odd questions that the OPs don't really follow up on.

B has an old beater Jeep Cherokee. And beater is an under statement. He catches the calf and sticks its head up between the door and the cab. Tagger, bander, and two vaccinations located in easy reach. If the calf has some age and runs he just chases it is circles until it tires out. Catches the calf and has to tagged, banded, and given two shots in well under a minute. He calves out well over 1,000 and these are range cows which are not known to be overly friendly.

I believe they are the easiest to work on and suffer the lowest amount of stress if you do them on day 1.
Especially if you're in the open pasture.
Day one they don't run much...even an old man like me can catch them.
70 lb calf easy.
200 lb calf not as easy.
300 lb PITA
400 lb might make you cuss a little

I believe they are the easiest to work on and suffer the lowest amount of stress if you do them on day 1.
Especially if you're in the open pasture.
Day one they don't run much...even an old man like me can catch them.
70 lb calf easy.
200 lb calf not as easy.
300 lb PITA
400 lb might make you cuss a little
How is running a #300 calf down the chute to the squeeze a PITA?

My experience is they don't even flinch at the larger size. I have never put my hands on a calf with out it making a commotion. It diesnt sound like less stress. There is zero risk from momma cows in the squeeze and you are not buying additional equipment that you are not already using for the cow heard.

It may be necessary for some people to work them at birth but it is at an additional cost and with additional risk... not less.

How is running a #300 calf down the chute to the squeeze a PITA?

My experience is they don't even flinch at the larger size. I have never put my hands on a calf with out it making a commotion. It diesnt sound like less stress. There is zero risk from momma cows in the squeeze and you are not buying additional equipment that you are not already using for the cow heard.

It may be necessary for some people to work them at birth but it is at an additional cost and with additional risk... not less.
I said in an open pasture 🙂