Calf born dead with malformed lip and nostril

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
This is what I sent to the vet, with a little info added that he would already know. What do you think?

Heifer calved yesterday evening, no complications, approx. 70lb calf. I watched the birth, and approached when I saw no signs of life from the calf, maybe 1 minute after it was out. Calf wasn't breathing or moving. I gave it a couple of progressively harder squeezes, and no gurgling etc. through the nostrils or mouth. Tongue was gray/blue. Rolled it over trying to pick it up and noticed that the calf's right upper lip and nostril hadn't formed.

No way this calf could have nursed, so maybe being stillborn saved me having to shoot it. I looked in the vet book, and cleft palate was the only thing similar, although it didn't talk about external abnormalities.

Heifer was vaccinated 2 months pre-breeding with Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5, was in good body condition throughout pregnancy (was on feed with mineral through first three months post -breeding), is nowhere close to the bull in pedigree (registered Polled Herefords) and has not had a needle in her since vaccination.

Had a deformed calf two years ago. Heifers' first calf, she had no trouble calving. The calf (heifer of course) jumped right up to nurse, full of vinegar . I noticed the calf's tongue hanging out and upon closer inspection the lower jaw folded up the side of her face. Checked to see if it had gotten stepped on but the bone was hard. Vet said there was nothing we could do but put her down. The cow was bred AI to a red angus. Vet said things like this just happen sometimes. Cow calved last spring and had a healthy calf. Vet told me after my many questions on how to prevent this and that and how to avoid..ect.ect.."if you don't want problems with cattle, don't have cattle" ;-) .

Beefy":2zotquv6 said:
every once in a while stuff just happens. pardon my french.

That's kind of my theory after talking to the vet and surfing for info. I was concerned that it was either genetic or related to feeding or minerals.

Cleft Palate can definitely present as you described.

A minor cleft palate in a human or bovine may not show up externally. A doctor always reaches in and feels the palate in a newborn human.

A more severe cleft palate will show up externally. This means the palate is involved as well as the external deformity of the lip and possibly extending up into the nose. No, the calf wouldn't be able to nurse.

Cleft palet...in combonation with Cleft Lip sounds like what your calf had. This is caused by a general vitamin and mineral deficency during early development. This deformity can be prevented easily with a good vitamin and mineral plan for your cows. if you have one in place try a different method of delivery... For example go from feeding blocks to feeding loose TM salts.

Better luck next year.

Shelby
http://www.promiselandranch.net/

Latest posts