CAIP Bred Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
It may be sacrilege but the Kentucky CAIP program drives registered, calving ease, AI bred heifer sales this time of year.

I have had 3 parties here over the weekend. I didn't even advertise. Word of mouth.

Grit, it is what it is. All the Angus and Simmental breeders in Kentucky ride that bandwagon.

You can buy open commercial heifers here, with a good pelvic score, and worked by the vet. Bred heifers, you have to prove calving ease on the bull side, as well as heifer side. You can buy a trailer load of opens, opposed to what a sprinkling of bred heifers will bring.

Personally, I'd rather have the open heifer. Same matching funds, but I can buy so many more.

Bigfoot":2o8f0xfk said:
You can buy open commercial heifers here, with a good pelvic score, and worked by the vet. Bred heifers, you have to prove calving ease on the bull side, as well as heifer side. You can buy a trailer load of opens, opposed to what a sprinkling of bred heifers will bring.

Personally, I'd rather have the open heifer. Same matching funds, but I can buy so many more.

You can buy open or bred. Registered or commercial. They have to be vaccinated and meet the minimum pelvic score. If bred, the sire must have at least a 13 CE. Bulls can also be purchased with CAIP.

Bright Raven":ryuribqi said:
It may be sacrilege but the Kentucky CAIP program drives registered, calving ease, AI bred heifer sales this time of year.

I have had 3 parties here over the weekend. I didn't even advertise. Word of mouth.

Grit, it is what it is. All the Angus and Simmental breeders in Kentucky ride that bandwagon.

That's good for those that don't want to talk bad about the deadbeats, freeloaders and government watse. My family came here as emigrants, they asked the government for nothing besides a chance to work, and have been paying taxes ever since. I can't understand your way of life.

True Grit Farms":1b0r0lw0 said:
Bright Raven":1b0r0lw0 said:

That's good for those that don't want to talk bad about the deadbeats, freeloaders and government watse. My family came here as emigrants, they asked the government for nothing besides a chance to work, and have been paying taxes ever since. I can't understand your way of life.

It's not a lifestyle. It's a program that some elect to participate in. It's a choice. Those who believe it violates their values do not have to participate.

Bright Raven":2znt9iry said:
True Grit Farms":2znt9iry said:
Bright Raven":2znt9iry said:

It's not a lifestyle. It's a program that some elect to participate in. It's a choice. Those who believe it violates their values do not have to participate.

Very true some folks have no values, and will do anything for a dollar.

True Grit Farms":2y47nlxk said:

A lady had two dogs and they went everywhere with her. One day she was down near the fairgrounds and her dogs ran off and went into a house at the fairgrounds. Her concern became alarm when she heard one of her dogs barking and growling.   She ran to the house and went inside.  Immediately, she saw it was a house of mirrors. One of her dogs was standing in front of the mirrors smiling and wagging his tail as he stared at his reflections.  The other dog was angry, barking and growling at his  reflections.

Moral: we all see the world as we are.

Bright Raven":2scgqd5f said:
True Grit Farms":2scgqd5f said:
Bright Raven":2scgqd5f said:

According to where and how the funds are derived, it probably isn't a choice for whoever is actually paying for it.

zirlottkim":39e2jys3 said:
Bright Raven":39e2jys3 said:
True Grit Farms":39e2jys3 said:

According to where and how the funds are derived, it probably isn't a choice for whoever is actually paying for it.

It was not a choice. Correct. The source of the funds originated from the Tobacco Settlement with the major tobacco companies.

Raven is correct that program and similar cost share programs have made an impact on seed stock sales. It is voluntary, I have bought and sold ( in different years and programs as in the same one is considered a conflict of interest) both as a result of the programs. I know some that are very much opposed, although not many around here seem to be. The way I see it, the program is there and available if someone chooses not to participate then the money is still there and someone else will use it so I figure I may as well throw my hat in the ring so to speak if I can benefit from it. I doubt that very many folks would deny a sale of a bull or female around here because someone is buying with cost share funds.
I would venture to say that the farms grazing capacities, infrastructure, and cattle quality have greatly improved over the years as a result in large part to these programs.

On a side note, if it is still the same as years past, Angus bull CED's are required to be 7 or higher for heifer acceptable, not sure about any other breeds CED's though.

Bright Raven":38gbl2t7 said:
True Grit Farms":38gbl2t7 said:

A lady had two dogs and they went everywhere with her. One day she was down near the fairgrounds and her dogs ran off and went into a house at the fairgrounds. Her concern became alarm when she heard one of her dogs barking and growling.   She ran to the house and went inside.  Immediately, she saw it was a house of mirrors. One of her dogs was standing in front of the mirrors smiling and wagging his tail as he stared at his reflections.  The other dog was angry, barking and growling at his  reflections.

Moral: we all see the world as we are.
It's all well and good till the man handing out the money calls his debt.

Dogs and Cows":23myln2n said:
What program is this CAIP? I don't think we have anything like that in NC. All the tobacco buyout monies went to the farmers I thought...and folks that held an allotment...Is this a government program? USDA? Just curious. Thanks.

Tim

It is a State of Kentucky program. It is an initiative pursuant to The Kentucky Agricultural Development effort called County Agricultural Investment Program (CAIP).

Commonly referred to as Cost Share. Kentucky was one of the states that participated in the class action lawsuit against 'Big Tobacco'. Kentucky received a lump sum into the billions of dollars. The Kentucky legislature elected to return a portion of that settlement to farmers. Particularly, favoring farmers if they ever raised tobacco. It pays for infrastructure, heifers, bulls, etc. The applicant is required to submit a questionnaire. The questionnaire is scored. The County CAIP Board then awards funds to the farmer from their annual appropriations starting with highest score.

Edited to add: This is NOT ....the tobacco buyout program!

True Grit Farms":2jl5i6qx said:
Georgia has cost share, subsidies and welfare available to farmers, I'd assume every state has it.

Have you ever used any of these kind of programs? Like getting a drought check from the ASCS office to compensate for the effects on cattle? Or CRP checks. IMO, these are the same category of program.

The only program I have used is the CAIP.

I wonder how many dollars the State of Kentucky made from Big Tobacco in the last 100 years, then they turned around and sued them for billions more. Good job, Kentucky politicians!

BFE":2l5bdr94 said:
I wonder how many dollars the State of Kentucky made from Big Tobacco in the last 100 years, then they turned around and sued them for billions more. Good job, Kentucky politicians!

Tobacco, coal, horses, whiskey and women have all made Kentucky what it is. Remember though, I think every state in the Nation signed onto the Class Action Suit. I stand corrected. It would be available if you Google - Class Action Tobacco Settlement.

BTW: no one I know thinks much of Kentucky politicians so you might be the only one.

Bright Raven":3foqgyqk said:
True Grit Farms":3foqgyqk said:
Georgia has cost share, subsidies and welfare available to farmers, I'd assume every state has it.

Have you ever used any of these kind of programs? Like getting a drought check from the ASCS office to compensate for the effects on cattle? Or CRP checks. IMO, these are the same category of program.

The only program I have used is the CAIP.

We need a response. I thought somewhere in the back of my memory you said you got a drought check. Even a CRP check. How are those any different?

The Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) was entered in November 1998, originally between the four largest United States tobacco companies (Philip Morris Inc., R. J. Reynolds, Brown & Williamson and Lorillard – the "original participating manufacturers", referred to as the "Majors") and the attorneys general of 46 states. The states settled their Medicaid lawsuits against the tobacco industry for recovery of their tobacco-related health-care costs.[1]:25 In exchange, the companies agreed to curtail or cease certain tobacco marketing practices, as well as to pay, in perpetuity, various annual payments to the states to compensate them for some of the medical costs of caring for persons with smoking-related illnesses. The money also funds a new anti-smoking advocacy group, called the Truth Initiative, that is responsible for such campaigns as The Truth. The settlement also dissolved the tobacco industry groups Tobacco Institute, the Center for Indoor Air Research, and the Council for Tobacco Research. In the MSA, the original participating manufacturers (OPM) agreed to pay a minimum of $206 billion over the first 25 years of the agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_M ... _Agreement

Bright Raven":xyri7y8e said:
BFE":xyri7y8e said:

Tobacco, coal, horses, whiskey and women have all made Kentucky what it is. Remember though, I think every state in the Nation signed onto the Class Action Suit. I stand corrected. It would be available if you Google - Class Action Tobacco Settlement.

BTW: no one I know thinks much of Kentucky politicians so you might be the only one.
I hope you can see the sarcasm dripping off of my post :) . Although in theory I disagree with most all government programs, ones such as this have greatly helped the cattle industry in Kentucky I'm sure.

BFE":3k755o58 said:
Bright Raven":3k755o58 said:
BFE":3k755o58 said:

I hope you can see the sarcasm dripping off of my post :) . Although in theory I disagree with most all government programs, ones such as this have greatly helped the cattle industry in Kentucky I'm sure.

I did. :tiphat: :cboy: