CAIP Bred Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Grit

This is not a big issue, it will not change the eastward rotation of the earth. So relax.

I will ask this unless you feel it is too pressing:

Is CRP welfare or NOT welfare? You are on record both ways.

I'm not a big fan of any government assistance, but in some cases I don't see CRP entirely as a gov't handout. The gov't wants farmers to keep that land in reserve, but doesn't want it kept in crop production. It definitely helps the wildlife, and as a hunter, I'm all for that. If the land isn't in crop production, the farmer would just unload it for another use, such as residential development. Then if we need to bring that land back into use (drought, war, etc..), it's too late.

Gators Rule":i69hvsah said:
I'm not a big fan of any government assistance, but in some cases I don't see CRP entirely as a gov't handout. The gov't wants farmers to keep that land in reserve, but doesn't want it kept in crop production. It definitely helps the wildlife, and as a hunter, I'm all for that. If the land isn't in crop production, the farmer would just unload it for another use, such as residential development. Then if we need to bring that land back into use (drought, war, etc..), it's too late.
They could just let the farmer sit on it tax free, if they wouldn't farm it. Be a lot cheaper than paying cash rent price for scrub brush.

True Grit Farms":2aem9bks said:
Bright Raven":2aem9bks said:
It may be sacrilege but the Kentucky CAIP program drives registered, calving ease, AI bred heifer sales this time of year.

I have had 3 parties here over the weekend. I didn't even advertise. Word of mouth.

Grit, it is what it is. All the Angus and Simmental breeders in Kentucky ride that bandwagon.

That's good for those that don't want to talk bad about the deadbeats, freeloaders and government watse. My family came here as emigrants, they asked the government for nothing besides a chance to work, and have been paying taxes ever since. I can't understand your way of life.
It is not one cent of government dollars nor any tax dollars. It is a deal the state made with 5 tobacco companies to stop suing over health problems from smoking. Big tobacco is paying for those heifers!
Crep or crap usually called here is a total waste of my tax dollars. There are farms here bought enrolled and payed for with this crap. It was good for the wild life. But what a waste of money imho.
I have got my share of caip money. That they say its to help wean us off growing tobacco still putting out a big crop this year. Welfare call it what you want. Big tobacco already pays me alot of money each year.

littletom":9nf1ofeq said:
True Grit Farms":9nf1ofeq said:
Bright Raven":9nf1ofeq said:
It may be sacrilege but the Kentucky CAIP program drives registered, calving ease, AI bred heifer sales this time of year.

I have had 3 parties here over the weekend. I didn't even advertise. Word of mouth.

Grit, it is what it is. All the Angus and Simmental breeders in Kentucky ride that bandwagon.

That's good for those that don't want to talk bad about the deadbeats, freeloaders and government watse. My family came here as emigrants, they asked the government for nothing besides a chance to work, and have been paying taxes ever since. I can't understand your way of life.
It is not one cent of government dollars nor any tax dollars. It is a deal the state made with 5 tobacco companies to stop suing over health problems from smoking. Big tobacco is paying for those heifers!
Crep or crap usually called here is a total waste of my tax dollars. There are farms here bought enrolled and payed for with this crap. It was good for the wild life. But what a waste of money imho.
I have got my share of caip money. That they say its to help wean us off growing tobacco still putting out a big crop this year. Welfare call it what you want. Big tobacco already pays me alot of money each year.

How much government money has been spent on cancer R&D? Believe it or not, the government is "we the people" and we pay taxes to support our government. Big Tobacco money is a farce, and nothing more than kicking the ball down the road through politics. As long as you pay a taxes you can legally grow and sell tobacco that's lethal to the public.

Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) is another program initiated by a Republican President and a Republican congress.
It originated in 1985, during the Reagan administration. Further evidence that both parties embrace the "welfare" culture that so many love to hate. It is the largest private-lands conservation program in the United States. Participation is voluntary. There is USDA evidence that it has improved water quality, reduced soil erosion, and increased habitat for endangered and threatened species. As Littletom stated, there are rich folks who never farmed a day in their life who have taken advantage of the program by buying farms, captivating marginal crop land and then enrolling. Despite the benefits cited by USDA, some environmental groups have advocated that the program does as much harm as it does good.

From USDA website:
Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)
is a land conservation program administered by the Farm Service Agency (FSA). In exchange for a yearly rental payment, farmers enrolled in the program agree to remove environmentally sensitive land from agricultural production and plant species that will improve environmental health and quality. Contracts for land enrolled in CRP are 10-15 years in length. The long-term goal of the program is to re-establish valuable land cover to help improve water quality, prevent soil erosion, and reduce loss of wildlife habitat

Bright Raven":276rn324 said:
Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) is another program initiated by a Republican President and a Republican congress.
It originated in 1985, during the Reagan administration. Further evidence that both parties embrace the "welfare" culture that so many love to hate. It is the largest private-lands conservation program in the United States. Participation is voluntary. There is USDA evidence that it has improved water quality, reduced soil erosion, and increased habitat for endangered and threatened species. As Littletom stated, there are rich folks who never farmed a day in their life who have taken advantage of the program by buying farms, captivating marginal crop land and then enrolling. Despite the benefits cited by USDA, some environmental groups have advocated that the program does as much harm as it does good.

From USDA website:
Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)
is a land conservation program administered by the Farm Service Agency (FSA). In exchange for a yearly rental payment, farmers enrolled in the program agree to remove environmentally sensitive land from agricultural production and plant species that will improve environmental health and quality. Contracts for land enrolled in CRP are 10-15 years in length. The long-term goal of the program is to re-establish valuable land cover to help improve water quality, prevent soil erosion, and reduce loss of wildlife habitat

How much does it pay? Where do I sign up? And how soon can I start receiving checks?

Make TT Great Again!

TennesseeTuxedo":ibyv9suw said:
Bright Raven":ibyv9suw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":ibyv9suw said:
How much does it pay? Where do I sign up? And how soon can I start receiving checks?

Make TT Great Again!

CRP Sign-Up Info
Read here for updates on the sign-up.

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-s ... gram/index

Thank you. I should be back on easy street in short order.

MTTGA

Make TT Great Again!

That might catch on. I am glad we are friends, maybe I can catch some of the crumbs you drop.

True Grit Farms":98hr1yl8 said:
Bright Raven":98hr1yl8 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":98hr1yl8 said:
Thank you. I should be back on easy street in short order.

MTTGA

Make TT Great Again!

That might catch on. I am glad we are friends, maybe I can catch some of the crumbs you drop.

His siver spoon doesn't miss much Raven.

Envy doesn't suit you Grit.

TennesseeTuxedo":vcy4qsy0 said:
True Grit Farms":vcy4qsy0 said:
Bright Raven":vcy4qsy0 said:
Make TT Great Again!

His siver spoon doesn't miss much Raven.

Envy doesn't suit you Grit.

I'm just trying to help TT, I'd hate to see the Raven crawling around looking for freebies in all the wrong places.

I was under the impression that crp was going away. As land comes out, it can't get back in. True or false?

Bigfoot":h7jq7q3v said:
I was under the impression that crp was going away. As land comes out, it can't get back in. True or false?
Select land can go back in, but a lot can't, or would have to go under a different program. Like the wonderful tree program where you let it grow up in russian olives, and maple saplings.

All that matters is the $$$$$.

True Grit Farms":anrh57p8 said:
littletom":anrh57p8 said:
True Grit Farms":anrh57p8 said:

How much government money has been spent on cancer R&D? Believe it or not, the government is "we the people" and we pay taxes to support our government. Big Tobacco money is a farce, and nothing more than kicking the ball down the road through politics. As long as you pay a taxes you can lyeegally grow and sell tobacco that's lethal to the public.
I'm not getting in a pissing match over tobacco. Yes it is lethal so are alot of other things. Tobacco money has built a lot of ky payed off many farms. And sent many kids to college for a way to different lives. Has always been on edge of right and wrong in manys eyes from a farming standpoint. Growing up where i have it would of been foolish of me to not consider it for career.

sim.-ang.king":7q92zicu said:
Gators Rule":7q92zicu said:

They could just let the farmer sit on it tax free, if they wouldn't farm it. Be a lot cheaper than paying cash rent price for scrub brush.

True, but since the land is probably already greenbelted, the farmer isn't paying much in taxes anyway. My definition of a welfare tax break is when the Govt gives something for nothing. CRP in my example doesn't do that. Farmers are paid for keeping the land in reserve, and thusly as wildlife fringe habitat. JMO

Here much of the ground that should of never been broke out and farmed was in soil bank back in the 50's and 60's. Then it ended and as soon as it came out farmers broke out this sorry ground and it did contribute to any already over supply but in a few years much of it was blowing and they were getting paid for it not producing. Then CRP came along and most of it went back in and the gov't paid again to have it planted to grass and to maintain it. Now as soon as any comes out most are breaking it out again. Many just retired and lived on the income off of the ground. IMO it is welfare just like many of the other farm programs. And there should be a provision that if a land owner is paid once to put a piece of land back into grass they won't pay again on that same piece. Again JMO.

elkwc":17cqtnrx said:
Here much of the ground that should of never been broke out and farmed was in soil bank back in the 50's and 60's. Then it ended and as soon as it came out farmers broke out this sorry ground and it did contribute to any already over supply but in a few years much of it was blowing and they were getting paid for it not producing. Then CRP came along and most of it went back in and the gov't paid again to have it planted to grass and to maintain it. Now as soon as any comes out most are breaking it out again. Many just retired and lived on the income off of the ground. IMO it is welfare just like many of the other farm programs. And there should be a provision that if a land owner is paid once to put a piece of land back into grass they won't pay again on that same piece. Again JMO.
I like this idea. I'm also against landowners hunt leasing ground that's receiving CRP or other big government money. It angers Regular Joe when they see farmers receiving 100's of thousands of dollars in gov't money, then leasing this same property to wealthy out of state hunters, and they won't let Joe on the place he's paying the bills on. Farmers used to have the highest reputations around. Not so much anymore, for reasons like this.

Latest posts