CAB

Help Support CattleToday:

Actually, here in the US Topsquar, the Angus breeders have put enough emphasis on growth that they do grow faster than lots and lots of Continental breeds.

It's just that most of them think that is good, but astute folks know that big changes like that come with consequences.

mtnman

Frankie":udljdlli said:
MikeC":udljdlli said:
Is it the fault of the Angus Assn that most every breed infused Angus into their breed to try and earn the CAB premium? Nope. It's the fault of the "competing" breeds. If you're willing to sell your cattle as Angus, when you know better, that says more about you than the Angus Assn.

I thought you said CAB doesn't "HAVE" to be angus?????

It doesn't and nothing you've quoted said any different.

I also thought you said that CAB was a "Quality" designation that was promoted by the angus folks????

CAB is a high quality product and it's promoted by Angus people. Nothing you've quoted says anything different.

Flip-Flop Flip-Flop Flip-Flop

No, nothing I've quoted contridicts what you say.

How could someone who is trying to meet a "Quality" standard be dishonest if he were meeting that standard and the specs did not prohibit him?????????????????????

If you're complaining, as you do, about CAB being a dishonest program, yet you take the premium when you know your cattle aren't 100% Angus, you're dishonest. And that says more about you than the program. CAB is straightforward. The specs are available. They don't require a single drop of Angus blood. You continually say that's dishonest. Yet you have said you took CAB premiums on your cattle.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz, You are a good one to talk about credibility.

We know who's credible here. You continually claim Red Angus can be CAB, even though I posted an email from the RA Assn that said otherwise. You have claimed that CAB is dishonest because the animals don't have to be Angus, yet you take the premium.

Crawl back in your hole. I think you have lost it. :roll: :roll:

Don't think so.

FEEDER CALF CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
The foundation of the entire marketing program is the Red Angus Feeder Calf Certification Program (FCCP). The FCCP verifies a calf's link to the "Angus" gene pool, identifying them as "Angus" regardless of hide color.

To be eligible, calves must be the offspring of a Registered Red Angus male or female. The FCCP tag officially documents this known Angus parentage. All FCCP tags have a serial tracking number on the back, allowing them to be traced throughout the marketing system. Calves can be tagged at any time from birth until loading on the truck to go to the packing plant.

The intentions of the Certification Program are to offer marketing alternatives for Red Angus sponsored feeder cattle services, and/or packing plant programs. Ultimately, Certified cattle are eligible for approved "Angus" branded beef product lines under USDA's Schedule GLA for live animal specifications.

http://old.redangus.org/newredsite/them ... pdate.html

So let me get this straight, the Angus breed with the nation's largest genepool acquired their performance by breeding to Chi and Holstein's. Right?

And the Charolais breed no longer have Cow killing birthweights because of genetic selection. Ohhhh OK I understand now. You people take us for fools. I refuse to stand by and take this any more.

MikeC,
I read somewhere that eating Charolais beef gives you warts. I really did read it so now I believe it. I am not going to post a link or a reference because you dont.

REMEMBER Eating Charolais Beef gives you warts STAY AWAY People.

jscunn":2gqgxcas said:
So let me get this straight, the Angus breed with the nation's largest genepool acquired their performance by breeding to Chi and Holstein's. Right?

And the Charolais breed no longer have Cow killing birthweights because of genetic selection. Ohhhh OK I understand now. You people take us for fools. I refuse to stand by and take this any more.

MikeC,
I read somewhere that eating Charolais beef gives you warts. I really did read it so now I believe it. I am not going to post a link or a reference because you dont.

REMEMBER Eating Charolais Beef gives you warts STAY AWAY People.

Warts are a virus. Refuse away.

JS,

I wouldn't argue that Angus got performance by breeding to other breeds. Frame brings performance, frame is highly heritable. Angus breeders bred for frame and got performance.

But, brown, rusty, wild-type, ring-around-the-nose, brown when born-black when weaned, brindles, lot's of white ahead of the navel, white legs, came from somewhere.

mtnman

Here's what CAB could do if the producers selling beef to them were dishonest:

Certifying Aberdeen Angus
Breed-specific genetic marker test will authenticate Aberdeen-Angus beef.

A new proprietary test to confirm the authenticity of Aberdeen-Angus beef at retail level is being introduced by the Aberdeen-Angus Cattle Society in he UK in conjunction with leading international company for bio-analytical testing services, Eurofins Scientific.

Tests on samples of beef from pure-bred Aberdeen-Angus and 50per cent Aberdeen-Angus (A-A sired), and from other breeds, based on a technology developed by Eurofins/Medigenomix, have proved 100per cent accurate and the testing procedure is now ready to be rolled out commercially in the UK.

The Society said it believes the availability of the new test will enhance consumer confidence in the Aberdeen-Angus brand and help stamp out the abuse of the Aberdeen-Angus name.

"Initial market research would indicate a significant commercial opportunity for such a test," the Society's Chief Executive, Ron McHattie, told a pre-Royal Highland Show press conference on Wednesday in Edinburgh.

"The main use will allow retailers to routinely check product authenticity to ensure consumer rights are protected. It is the Society's long-held belief that the integrity of the Aberdeen-Angus brand should not be compromised and the realisation of this test is a powerful tool in the armoury to combat abuse."

The Society and Eurofins Scientific said they intend to make the test commercially available to the retail sector as well as consumer protection bodies such as the British Trading Standards Agency.

"The prominence of the Aberdeen-Angus brand in the market place has led others to seek to emulate its coveted position which has led to abuse of the name either knowingly or surreptitiously," said Mr McHattie.

"The potential effect of such actions may lead to the integrity of the brand being called into question and consequently has on occasion resulted in the potential infringement of consumers' rights."

The Aberdeen-Angus Cattle Society said it had been aware of the problem for some considerable time and has been actively exploring a means of addressing what it said was a matter of precedent.

In 2002, Mr McHattie met with representatives of Eurofins/Medigenomix, who have long-term experience in DNA analysis and especially in using genetic markers (genotyping) for individual identification and paternity testing of humans, pets and livestock, for animal species differentiation and population genetics.

"We assumed that if the Aberdeen-Angus breed was separated from other breeds for many generations, we should be able to find specific patterns of alleles (variants of genetic markers), which could be used for typing meat as being pure Aberdeen-Angus, Aberdeen-Angus sired (half breed), or definitely not Aberdeen-Angus (A-A excluded)," said Eurofins Scientific Operations Director, Dr Jeremy Davies.

The Society provided Eurofins/Medigenomix with authentic samples of Aberdeen-Angus semen, which were tested with a number of selected polymorphic genetic markers. The genetic patterns of these samples were compared to patterns produced from authentic DNA samples of other breeds.

"Thus we identified common and rare alleles of the Aberdeen-Angus breed, which can be combined to typical allelic patterns for the three meat qualities of interest," said Dr Davies.

"The test was validated by a series blind tests and is now ready for commercial use."

Web posted: June 23, 2005

la4angus":3b59exzj said:
I would like to see the continental breeds take credit for their high choice and prme carcasses by starting their own branded beef program. We need a "Certified Continental Beef" program.

MikeC":3b59exzj said:
Lloyd, I know you wrote this with a touch of sarcasm, but there are people who enjoy a leaner cut of beef. I believe that an upper 2/3 choice ribeye is approx. 6-8% fat. Too much for many who are "Fat" conscious eaters.

It is because of the USDA grading system that uses marbling as the main deciding factor in quality that drives the market now.

A "tenderness" designation is coming soon to a theater near you when the technology catches up.
No Mike
No Sarcasm intended. I would like to see the CAB and CHB program with either Angus or Hereford or Angus or Hereford cross animals to be able to make the grade. If the continental breeds want to brag about how much better that they are than the Angus and Herefords I say they should have their own branded beed program with the same carcass specs as the CAB and CHB.
Let each breed stand on their own merits and as old Harry Truman would say, "Let the Sht Hit the Fan".

No comments?

FEEDER CALF CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
The foundation of the entire marketing program is the Red Angus Feeder Calf Certification Program (FCCP). The FCCP verifies a calf's link to the "Angus" gene pool, identifying them as "Angus" regardless of hide color.

To be eligible, calves must be the offspring of a Registered Red Angus male or female. The FCCP tag officially documents this known Angus parentage. All FCCP tags have a serial tracking number on the back, allowing them to be traced throughout the marketing system. Calves can be tagged at any time from birth until loading on the truck to go to the packing plant.

The intentions of the Certification Program are to offer marketing alternatives for Red Angus sponsored feeder cattle services, and/or packing plant programs. Ultimately, Certified cattle are eligible for approved "Angus" branded beef product lines under USDA's Schedule GLA for live animal specifications.

http://old.redangus.org/newredsite/them ... pdate.html

Latest posts