CAB President coming to class

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
The President of CAB is coming to my meat science class, after his guest lecture we should have time to ask questions. Does anyone have any serious questions they would like me to ask if I get the chance?

FarmGirl10":3r52qz2b said:
The President of CAB is coming to my meat science class, after his guest lecture we should have time to ask questions. Does anyone have any serious questions they would like me to ask if I get the chance?
i bet there's plenty on here would like too talk to him
:lol: :cowboy:

i have a question,

now that every breed of cattle including hereford and charolais have black animals.....

Are there any plans to tighten the criteria for qualification for CAB and return it to being an angus program rather than a generic beef promotion program?

I made a fresh batch for this post!

popc1lp4.gif

FarmGirl10":1f4i1glz said:

Yes, glad you asked!

Over the last decade or two Angus has achieved a phenomenal accomplishment that has really helped the entire cattle industry. How many people actually know different breeds of cattle? Very few outside of the industry. Many people do, however, know the word Angus and associate it with high quality beef. A quick drive by Burger King or the grocery store meat section and you will see "Angus" advertised.

Along the lines of pdfangus, how will CAB market itself in the future - CAB itself has become an almost generic term; will the future hold a more focused approach on the "angus" part of CAB, or will it continue to promote traits that almost any breed can offer?

cypressfarms":h3r43x4y said:
FarmGirl10":h3r43x4y said:

Yes, glad you asked!

Over the last decade or two Angus has achieved a phenomenal accomplishment that has really helped the entire cattle industry. How many people actually know different breeds of cattle? Very few outside of the industry. Many people do, however, know the word Angus and associate it with high quality beef. A quick drive by Burger King or the grocery store meat section and you will see "Angus" advertised.

Along the lines of pdfangus, how will CAB market itself in the future - CAB itself has become an almost generic term; will the future hold a more focused approach on the "angus" part of CAB, or will it continue to promote traits that almost any breed can offer?

and that's when the fight started :cowboy:

3waycross":fygifj8g said:
cypressfarms":fygifj8g said:
FarmGirl10":fygifj8g said:

Yes, glad you asked!

and that's when the fight started :cowboy:

Three way....

No fight intended.....

No disrespect to any other breeds intended.....

but as an angus member questioning and angus exec and CAB is still an angus program no matter who is making money off of it today......

I want the Certified Angus Beef program to return to promotion of Angus Cattle. It is the job of NMPF to promote generic beef.

It is the job of the angus association and CAB to promote angus beef.

The black hide criteria was put in when angus had the black hides and it was a useful macro screening tool.

but when every beef breed decided it too could be black ( by simply infusing some angus genetics ) the usefulness of the screening tool was lost.

My challenge .....for my breed association ......I am life member ......is to find a useful way to identify that angus influence and return to angus quality premiums.

FarmGirl10":286fg9c9 said:
Why is the predominant ingredient of CAB cross bred Angus and not pure Angus as the name more than implies and the consumer assumes as fact.

novatech":3695l4hv said:
FarmGirl10":3695l4hv said:
Why is the predominant ingredient of CAB cross bred Angus and not pure Angus as the name more than implies and the consumer assumes as fact.

They promote the hide color...now what's under it. If it's black it's gotta be good. I know a few black "mostly" jersey bulls that I suppose would qualify.

My challenge .....for my breed association ......I am life member ......is to find a useful way to identify that angus influence and return to angus quality premiums.

I am going to ask a simple question. If this is your Challenge wouldn't this hurt the sale of Registered Angus bulls by Angus seedstock producers to commercial cattlemen who are currently benefitting from the use of said bulls to market their crossbred(black) calves.
I am not trying to be a smarta$$ but I don't think you can have one without the other.

3waycross":dmf8dr8b said:

I am going to ask a simple question. If this is your Challenge wouldn't this hurt the sale of Registered Angus bulls by Angus seedstock producers to commercial cattlemen who are currently benefitting from the use of said bulls to market their crossbred(black) calves.
I am not trying to be a smarta$$ but I don't think you can have one without the other.

I did not say I was opposed to cross breeding or the use of angus cattle in commercial herds.

My point is that a Black hide is no longer an indicator of angus influence.

Additional criteria need to be developed. Criteria that would tie the program back to angus and not back to say a black charolais or black galloway or black whatever.

I want to cause the commercial breeder to have additional reasons to want angus bulls not reasons to have a generic black bull.

I want to cause the commercial breeder to have additional reasons to want angus bulls not reasons to have a generic black bull.
PD that's why I said on another thread...one of the useless phrases you hear at the sale barn is "She's bred to a black bull". Now that can be just about anyting these days.

I don't have an oar in the water on this one- I don't raise any calves and buy just about everything.
But it is a joke around here what qualifies as CERTIFIED Angus.
If something is going to have real value by "meaning something" it actually has to "mean something".

CAB has done a real good job- my parents(who know NOTHING about cattle) are really sold on black hided beef being the only good kind.
When I was finishing steers and picking out the ones I was going to eat they were horrified that I picked out a red one over a less finished black one.

pdfangus":2n1fl4ts said:

Very good point. IMO, it's obvious that Angus has done a great marketing job - so much so it's being used by many breeds. This will ultimately lead to the demise of CAB. There will be a point where "certified angus beef" is meaningless - at that point Angus will be in trouble.

just to stir the pot a question I might ask the CAB President is;

How would I go about getting my purebred Red Angus steers into the Certified Angus Beef system? Oh and BTW Mr. President my PUREBRED red Angus steers quailify for Certified Hereford Beef. Bottom line is what exactly does the words CERTIFIED ANGUS mean in regards to CAB?

I would love to ask the same of the CHB President.

Just stirring,
Alan

Alan":37mdpif9 said:
just to stir the pot a question I might ask the CAB President is;

How would I go about getting my purebred Red Angus steers into the Certified Angus Beef system? Oh and BTW Mr. President my PUREBRED red Angus steers quailify for Certified Hereford Beef. Bottom line is what exactly does the words CERTIFIED ANGUS mean in regards to CAB?

I would love to ask the same of the CHB President.

Just stirring,
Alan

If they gene tested your red angus they would qualify. Funny huh?

cypressfarms":ndm4pul3 said:
pdfangus":ndm4pul3 said:

Very good point. IMO, it's obvious that Angus has done a great marketing job - so much so it's being used by many breeds. This will ultimately lead to the demise of CAB. There will be a point where "certified angus beef" is meaningless - at that point Angus will be in trouble.

Believe when I say I am not picking a fight when I make this statement but the problem with CAB is of it's own making. They have created a BRAND not a product.
The success of the brand has led to the inclusion of other breeds under the branded label. The problem is not so much that it will lead to the demise of CAB but that it will lead to the Angus breeders losing a piece of the pie to blk cattle that have little or no Angus influence.
The only solution to this is to make a gene test the First or Last take your pick qualifier for inclusion in CAB. That obviously will add a lot of cost.
The thing to remember is that as long as CAB doesn't lower the other qualifiers then the beef itself is still the same.

If I am wrong please explain why

3waycross":1zv7qep4 said:
but the problem with CAB is of it's own making. They have created a BRAND not a product.
The success of the brand has led to the inclusion of other breeds under the branded label. The problem is not so much that it will lead to the demise of CAB but that it will lead to the Angus breeders losing a piece of the pie to blk cattle that have little or no Angus influence.

I wonder what their original objective was. To sell and market meat at higher prices and offer the consumer some assurance of quality or was it solely to help the pb breeders. I think they have done quite well in both aspects but I think they need to tread carefully with some claims.

3waycross":23iupte6 said:
cypressfarms":23iupte6 said:
pdfangus":23iupte6 said:

Believe when I say I am not picking a fight when I make this statement but the problem with CAB is of it's own making. They have created a BRAND not a product.
The only solution to this is to make a gene test the First or Last take your pick qualifier for inclusion in CAB. That obviously will add a lot of cost.
The thing to remember is that as long as CAB doesn't lower the other qualifiers then the beef itself is still the same.

If I am wrong please explain why

3 Way.

this is exactly what I have been trying to say......

actually I think using registered angus bulls and keeping good records could be the initial screening criteria. Same data as for age and source verification with the addition of known sire registration numbers. Not saying that the exact sire of every calf has to be identified but that all bulls in the group would be registered angus.

list of cows exposed
list of registered bulls
exposure dates
calving dates
weaning dates.
If a non registerd angus bull was in the bull group then the group does not qualify for initial screening.
genetic testing could be done to settle disputes.

Latest posts