CAB for it or against it.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I don't have a degree in philosophy but i often deeply contemplate issues (result of to much alone time). It seems to me that if you are for something right or wrong. You atleast have so level of belief hope and optimism. I understand this. The kicker for me is those that seem as if the only thing they believe in is trying to drag down others thoughts, ideas, and beliefs.

If Frankie believes in CAB and you don't, good. Tell her about it but don't let your identity become one of only anti Angus or Anti CAB. People with predominately anti stances don't carry much weight in my eyes.

If I lived in a different climate, I'd run more angus. It is too hot here for them. My mortality rate has not been good and my WW is not good. I do better with fall calving on that breed.

Don't have any real issues with the association except I don't feel they are honest, and I wouldn't join up because of it. Don't have problems with people who do. Don't really care for that matter. It is simply not for me.

First; By effectively causing more money to be paid for black cattle genetic diversity is (to some degree) limited. The trend seems to lean toward breeding for black no matter what else.
Yes, I know that CAB has more requirements than just being black but the effect is that black is the only thing that matters.

Second; The hypocrisy..... Red Angus are excluded even though the only difference is color of hide.

I realize that my opinions will elicit personal attacks by the CAB crowd and that is the third reason.

I am fairly new and inexperienced in the cattle business but this is what I think.

Jon Davis

The real hypocracy about CAB is that so many cattle are being killed every day with black hides and very little or no Angus blood in them.

We now have black cattle of every breed.

I agree on the Red Angus. They can't use the excuse that the red could be something else . Heck a large percentage of the blacks are something else.

I sell alot of "Angus" that is not CAB and it's really good meat but I doubt it's all or even a high percentage ANGUS.

Until we start DNA testing every carcass CAB will always be a bit of a crapshoot

I have nothing against Frankie or CAB. I don't hate the breed ,but I just don't care for it. But there's other breeds I don't care for either. I am not going to bash anyone for what they like. If, I don't like what I see I just don't post.
We had Angus in the 70's,before they were the greatest cattle. They were not that great back then. Hereford and Brahmas ruled back then.
I still have a couple cows with angus blood in them. But I just don't want a whole herd of them. I agree with Backhoe,they don't work in this heat.
I have beefmasters, and I know there's alot of people that don't really care for them. Oh,well while yours are under the shade tree, mine are out grazing. Thats in the heat of the day.
Frankie is excessive promoting her breed . And thats great. She is doing what she believes in. The same as all of us and our on breed.Maybe if we all more like her our own breeds would be perfect. Get out there and fight for what you believe in.
I think the red hides will be even with the the black hides one day. I know at the sale barns it's starting to happen. Heck fire when I can take painted crosses and make the the same as a black baldy. I feel pretty good. Thats being docked 10 cents on the get go.

CAB is a martekting gimmick-one that has proven to be quite effective.
I don't think there are many in the cattle business who honestly believe that CAB is that much different than any of the other beef that's being produced, but as long as the consumer thinks so that's all that really matters.

la4angus
GURU

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:52 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO if it's gonna be called Certified Angus Beef it should be Angus beef or at the least be 1/2 Angus.

I don't think Lloyd would mind me using a post of his for reference.

C HOLLAND":3ggekh7e said:
I think CAB has a place, even in New York City, it's tough getting a ride without a CAB. :lol: :lol:

You clown you! :lol:

It's all about the money at the consumer retail level. If it sounds good to the consumer they will buy it. It's not only the beef industry it's anything that the consumer purchases that a catchy phrase attracts them to. As was said it's all about marketing. Corporations pay marketing people big bucks to come up with this crap and the American people swallow it hook,line and sinker.

CAB is a name for a USDA standard. It's not really any different then Ford or chevy which are made up of mostly stuff not made by either Ford or chevy or JD for that matter.
Persoanlly I could care less about CAB, we only have a couple of black cows left, 3 I think, the rest are red. We've gotten premiums on the red calves when we sold on the rail that may have been higher if they were black, so what.

mgman":2s1na3xp said:
I don't think there are many in the cattle business who honestly believe that CAB is that much different than any of the other beef that's being produced, but as long as the consumer thinks so that's all that really matters.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's good marketing.

mgman":2seb819l said:

We frequent a restaurant that has recently changed from Certified Angus Beef to Nolan Ryan branded beef. Since that has occurred, the quality(tenderness) of the steaks that my family and I have been served in this restaurant has noticably decreased. Whether the change is also a "grade" change, I don't know. But we're eating at this restaurant less and usually not ordering steaks when we do.

George

Beef11":hafhsxbn said:
...If Frankie believes in CAB and you don't, good. Tell her about it but don't let your identity become one of only anti Angus or Anti CAB. People with predominately anti stances don't carry much weight in my eyes.
If that be the case, then likewise, you shouldn't let your identity become one of only pro Angus or pro CAB. People with predominately pro stances don't carry much weight in my eyes. A lot of people with supposed open minds are extremely one sided. We run mostly Simmental and Red Angus, but that's not all we have. We also know they are not for every one.

Beef11":13tkgd2n said:
If Frankie believes in CAB and you don't, good. Tell her about it but don't let your identity become one of only anti Angus or Anti CAB. People with predominately anti stances don't carry much weight in my eyes.

I've let my feelings be known on this subject more than once. I hope I've done it in a reasonable manner. I'm not anti-Angus or anti-CAB, I just think the program needs a little tweaking.

I can understand why Angus people are proud of what they raise. They have every right to be. I can also understand why those who raise something else might be upset that they aren't getting the same premiums for their cattle, when they feel they are just as good. There are good arguments on both sides. Let's just keep it civil.

dun":gzvfq9i3 said:
CAB is a name for a USDA standard. It's not really any different then Ford or chevy which are made up of mostly stuff not made by either Ford or chevy or JD for that matter.
Persoanlly I could care less about CAB, we only have a couple of black cows left, 3 I think, the rest are red. We've gotten premiums on the red calves when we sold on the rail that may have been higher if they were black, so what.
While what you say is true, it's not the whole truth. CAB was the invention of angus breeders or the aaa , either way, it was a marketing ploy. It worked. CAB has been the driving force or at least a driving force in marketing higher end beef. I think it's a positive for the beef industry and like dun, I have just a very few blacks.

No matter if you like or disike, it was a brilliant marketing ploy.

I'm still beatin my head against the wall to come up with something half as good for longhorns. ;-)

warpaint":205nwo7g said:
No matter if you like or disike, it was a brilliant marketing ploy.

I'm still beatin my head against the wall to come up with something half as good for longhorns. ;-)

I don't want to appear like a stalker or anything but.....

That is a good post.

Alright, since you brought it up. It is time for black angus to put their money where their mouth is. The AAA currently has a program called Angus Source with tags or something along that line. If angus was better than the other breeds, they could use this program for the first requirement for all calves receiving the CAB brand. These calves would have to be sired by a registered black angus bull. All calves receiving the CAB brand would be at least 50% black angus.

If they implemented this program for CAB, AAA could then show that they do not need other breeds, and that they are better. The funny thing is they could change the requirements tomorrow and put all of the other breeds to shame, yet they don't. AAA knows they need the other breeds, they are not better, and they want to continue to deceive the ignorant public. Certified All Breeds.

CSM

Latest posts