C-R-A-P

Help Support CattleToday:

I raise angus because that's what there is around here. Tried to get some herefords and bull but they're in really short supply. Had herefords a long time ago (horned) and really liked them. The supply was abundant and no problem finding bulls....not now.

As far as temperment is concerned I try to put alot of face time in with herd and I think that's the biggest factor.

shaz":3oofj2v2 said:
I raise angus because that's what there is around here. Tried to get some herefords and bull but they're in really short supply. Had herefords a long time ago (horned) and really liked them. The supply was abundant and no problem finding bulls....not now.

As far as temperment is concerned I try to put alot of face time in with herd and I think that's the biggest factor.
supply and """""demand"""

Why don't you nominate your own candidates for Board positions, attend the AGM, and vote you candidates in the place of those not looking after you?

As I just discussed with one of my employees - no organization in our lives is perfect. However we need organizations.

The alternative is DIS-organization.

As said above and I said to my employee - if you are not happy with the boss or the organization start by making an appointment to sit down and have a rational discussion with the boss about your feelings. To criticize it from the outside is easy. To change and improve things is tough and slow but often very rewarding in the end.

Life is full of organizations. Work to make them better, find another one or quietly go do something else on your own.

Jim

vclavin i saw nice tempered bulls in sales go completely nuts in the sale ring. thought that one was going to clear the fence.

Got a bull that we like, but when he made a threatening move towards me he signed his sale slip.

Only black bull we had on the place got the business end of a pitchfork in his face, he was aggressive acting like he was going to charge.
Still won't ever own one.

I keep hearing BLACK BULL , that does not mean Angus like it did 30 or so years ago..BLACK BULL can be at least 6 breeds I can think of.

I can say if you are use to herefords everything, I mean everything is wild or crazy..I have never see a wild poll hereford, can not talk about Horn ones...

alftn that bull we had came out of a commercial black angus cow and a registered black angus bull.
It is easier to just say black bull.

I luv herfrds":1x7q2b35 said:
vclavin i saw nice tempered bulls in sales go completely nuts in the sale ring. thought that one was going to clear the fence.

Got a bull that we like, but when he made a threatening move towards me he signed his sale slip.

Only black bull we had on the place got the business end of a pitchfork in his face, he was aggressive acting like he was going to charge.
Still won't ever own one.
I have heard of the big breeders putting something in the animals feed to keep them quiet during the sale. I have a friend the bought 3 bred heifers from up north. Well know breeder too. One had to be shost in the pasture as she was having trouble calving and couldn't get her in - "CRAZY". One alsom killed my friend for getting close to her calf and the other was nuts as well. Those 2 went to sale barn for butcher.
All animals on our farm went for butcher if aggressive - papers or no papers. Didn't make any difference if good or bad EPD's. I will not use semen from known animals that are aggressive. I call all the owners and ask about disposition, I also check with people that work around the different progeny of the AI sires.
I'm sorry your experiences left such a nasty taste in your mouth , just don't forget about the daughters of those agressive bulls-it's hereditary.

Valerie

We never kept the daughters out of the black bull.
Watching the daughters of this other bull of ours. Had a cow already marked for sale and her 4 hour old calf tried hooking me. She's marked for sale too.
We never keep the crazies.

I think more breeders need to do that.

Honestly people if the greatest criticisim of angus you can muster up is that you were around a possibly aggressive bull then you need to get out a little more and experience some different groups and types of cattle...

Meanest set of cows I was ever around was a set of herefords (polled and horned) from western Kansas. Every one of them wanted to kill you no if ands or buts. Guy who owned them sent them all to town for health reasons or retirement I believe.

Ya'll get bent out of shape when somebody says that herefords are only good for pinkeye and prolapses so why would you retaliate with "this black bull looked at me funny so they're all mean and wild"

Jake there was nothing "possible" about that bull being aggressive. Hubby carried a steel fence post with him every time he went into the corral with his bull. Later on a pistol.
This bull took on our hereford bulls, steers and the last year we had him he spent more time wanting to fight then breed. No use to us.
He also cost us $600 for corral repairs.
Been around a person I knew who raised registered black angus and they were the nicest bunch you could be around. Been around some others I would send down the road faster then anything.

We did own a cow that turned aggressive after calving and did not ever fully calm down. She hit the road that fall.

Besides Jake you have no idea of how many different ranches I have been on or the different types of cattle I have been around.
Besides if I really wanted to start being extremely critical of the angus breed I could but since it makes no sense to argue with you there is no sense in expressing my full opinion.
Besides angus also have cancer eye and prolapse.

We're just sick of the people raising angus telling us we should also. We are happy with our Herefords and the topic of this disscussion before it was changed by other posters was about something else.

alftn":14fp0u54 said:
I is easy to solve you guys problems, RAISE BLACK ANGUS, for get about them there white faces.....ALL YOUR PROBLEMS WILL JUST FADE AWAY....

I can give Jake some reasons I don't like angus.

It is my belief that it is the Angus Association's doings as to why America now associates 1 breed of cattle with beef,the angus. Why is angus meat so much better than that of a Hereford or a Gelbviegh that is has become synonomous with beef? I am not sure how it works in other areas,but in Fredericksburg black hided animals go for far more money than any other color. Why have we let that happen? Does the Angus perform better than any other cattle breed known to man? I don't think so. I will not believe that the angus will solve all of the problems of the cattle industry. I only see one positive point of the angus;easy calving. But besides that most other breeds will out perform it,day in and day out. I will get off my soapbox before I really make a fuss and hurt people's feelings,but no..I would rather NOT have angus.

thanks and have a nice day...

BC

BrownCow":2u8obx59 said:
alftn":2u8obx59 said:
I is easy to solve you guys problems, RAISE BLACK ANGUS, for get about them there white faces.....ALL YOUR PROBLEMS WILL JUST FADE AWAY....

It is my belief that it is the Angus Association's doings as to why America now associates 1 breed of cattle with beef,the angus. Why is angus meat so much better than that of a Hereford or a Gelbviegh that is has become synonomous with beef? I am not sure how it works in other areas,but in Fredericksburg black hided animals go for far more money than any other color. Why have we let that happen? Does the Angus perform better than any other cattle breed known to man? I don't think so. I will not believe that the angus will solve all of the problems of the cattle industry. I only see one positive point of the angus;easy calving. But besides that most other breeds will out perform it,day in and day out. I will get off my soapbox before I really make a fuss and hurt people's feelings,but no..I would rather NOT have angus.

BC
not all or easy calving,,, though they aint my favorite breed thats a weak reason to be hatein' angus

alacattleman":z15cunu3 said:
BrownCow":z15cunu3 said:
alftn":z15cunu3 said:

BC
not all or easy calving,,, though they aint my favorite breed thats a weak reason to be hatein' angus
Angus were the calving ease and marbling and mother breed. Somebody forgot to tell the Breeders to keep those traits when breeding to keep up with the other breeds. Angus will be just another breed if they don't start paying attention to what theyare doing.
Valerie

I am in no way trying to tell people that everybody needs to breed angus. Angus do a lot of things right and the Association has done a great job of marketing and allowing for opportunities to be had by those who use angus genetics. AND GOOD FOR THEM!! I don't mean to sound like Frankie but the angus breed has done a wonderful job of propelling themselves to the top and any amount of spite and jealousy will not change the fact that they have marketed themselves to the top.

Are there other breeds who may work better for different operations OF COURSE but just because angus doesn't work for you doesn't mean it should be acceptable to trash the entire breed on the basis of single events or opinions of select animals. I luv herfs I do not mean to question your cattle experience as I do not know you, the point I was attempting to make is that let's talk about all the facts and aspects of a breed before we go labeling them as wild man killers.

not seen many wild or ill tempered herfs ,, seen plenty of angus though especially when i was hauling ,, but hereford doesnt sell good here, i dont care if they flew around on angel wings

alacattleman":vtvqa8rm said:
not seen many wild or ill tempered herfs ,, seen plenty of angus though especially when i was hauling ,, but hereford doesnt sell good here, i dont care if they flew around on angel wings

Most of what are sold around here are "herford in name and coloring only"....real trashy....but the occasional good heifer or young bull will really ring the bell.

Jake I was talking about that 1 bull not the whole breed.
Maybe if he had been better tempered it might have changed our minds and maybe not.

Maybe you should talk to my husband about a neighbors black angus bull that charged him on his horse. That bull was turning into a man killer. luckily the neighbors shipped him.

Maybe talk to a different neighbor who doesn't own cattle and was chased up onto his porch by a rogue angus bull. The owners had just left him in the pasture near by and that bull just walked through the fence. Only after I threatened to shoot him did they come get him.

And if he was alive talk to hubby's grandfather about a neighbors red angus bull that wrecked a bunch of his first year hereford heifers.

Now i ain't saying Herefords have the best temperment, we get those crazy ones too, but at least we ship them before they hurt anyone.

Latest posts