BW

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
What kind of birth weights do you all aim for?

Do you want your breeding bulls BW to be just a bit higher then you want your calves to be?

We like our cows to have 90-105 lb calves and the heifers to have 75-90 lb calves. Don't like to see them much smaller and sure prefer not to have them a whole lot larger. It is not unusual for us to have a couple calves in the 115-125 lb range, and we rarely have a problem with them.

As for our herd sires, we look for bulls that have a BW that falls into the ranges that we expect from the cows or heifers. But if we really like the look of a bull we are not afraid to go a bit higher.

randiliana":1p91dmsa said:
We like our cows to have 90-105 lb calves and the heifers to have 75-90 lb calves. Don't like to see them much smaller and sure prefer not to have them a whole lot larger. It is not unusual for us to have a couple calves in the 115-125 lb range, and we rarely have a problem with them.

As for our herd sires, we look for bulls that have a BW that falls into the ranges that we expect from the cows or heifers. But if we really like the look of a bull we are not afraid to go a bit higher.
How much do your cows weigh and what do your weining weights look like?

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but our overall average (heifers and bulls) was 74 or 75 pounds. Lowest was around 49 lbs, premie calf out of a heifer, and highest was right around 100lbs, but most fall in the 65 to 85 range.

cfpinz

Dusty Britches":208hciu9 said:
I think I heard on here that a good goal is 8% of mature cow weight. Heifers are a little less.

I don't want my 1200 lb cows consistently having 96 lb calves, but that's just my area, experience.

cfpinz

denoginnizer":1xvwfuvf said:
randiliana":1xvwfuvf said:

How much do your cows weigh and what do your weining weights look like?

Our cows (at least the ones that get culled) are in the 1100-1250 lb range. Last year our weaning weights averaged 587 on the steers. The heifers were also over 550 but I can't remember exactly. And we had 35/40 steer calves average out at 610.

S.R.R.":xtksuu4d said:

Do you want your breeding bulls BW to be just a bit higher then you want your calves to be?

Depends on the cows. Not only their weights but their condition, pelvic size, frame score, among others.

Some cows will exhibit dystocia not necessarily from the size of the calf, but from the lack of will, condition, or weakness. It takes strong muscles to push a calf out. Some cows just won't try hard enough and give up early.

I believe that if a small percentage of cows are not assisted, we are leaving a lot of weaning weight left on the table.

Using an bulls' actual birth weight to determine his offsprings size is a poor indicator. IMHO. There could be too many variables in his dams environment. Using his BW ratio might be better.

S.R.R.":1b0cks35 said:

We want the heifer's first calf to weigh less than 80-85 lbs. Generally, they'll be in the 70's. I'm not concerned about the cows. Angus are considered a calving ease breed. But we don't use bulls with extreme BW EPDs because commercial cattlemen apparently don't want breeding bulls with extreme BW EPDs. So our mature cows will usually have a 75-90 lb calf.

A bull's BW EPD is a better indicator of his breeding potential than his own performance (weight).

MikeC":19wtj3ft said:
I believe that if a small percentage of cows are not assisted, we are leaving a lot of weaning weight left on the table.

Interesting. A neighbor claimed that unless you're pulling 10% of your calves you're not challenging the cow. He went broke, too many ded calves and cows that wouldn;t breed back.

Our heifers run around 60-70 pounds, cows around 76-85 pounds. I challange the cows to raise a big calf not birth a big calf. The heifers wean on average a low 500 and the cows a mid 600. No supplement, just minerals, water and poisonous high endophyte fescue diluted with clover.

dun

dun":3j6j27qw said:
MikeC":3j6j27qw said:

Interesting. A neighbor claimed that unless you're pulling 10% of your calves you're not challenging the cow. He went broke, too many ded calves and cows that wouldn;t breed back.

Our heifers run around 60-70 pounds, cows around 76-85 pounds. I challange the cows to raise a big calf not birth a big calf. The heifers wean on average a low 500 and the cows a mid 600. No supplement, just minerals, water and poisonous high endophyte fescue diluted with clover.

dun

First of all, I would say 10% is way too high. That's taking it to the extreme. Extremes never work in the cattle business.

Some of my cows can handle a higher BW and some can't. It's just that simple.

Like I said above, birthweights depend on many environmental/conditioning factors too.

But in the end there is a positive correlation between BW's and WW's.

Likewise to your scenario, a guy about 30-40 miles from me went into the Char business 10-12 years ago to raise Extra-Low BW Char bulls only.

He didn't last long either.

we consistently have calves weigh from 70-85. We don't risk it with 100 lb. calves as there are too many chances for having to pull them and/or losing a calf. Our calves average wean weight is 550-600 out of 1150-1200# cows.

S.R.R.":2f692y1w said:

I want them here small 70 to 80 pound range and grow like a rabbit. I can't sell a dead calf, just no market for them. It's the cow's job to get them here alive and grow them off, if she can't she is fired and a new one hired.

One of my WB bulls has a BW of 98lb but has not thrown a calf over 85lb. His calves grow like gang busters and I am sure glad his 98lb BW did not stop me from using him. (hense the ?)

S.R.R.":1qja7oy1 said:
One of my WB bulls has a BW of 98lb but has not thrown a calf over 85lb. His calves grow like gang busters and I am sure glad his 98lb BW did not stop me from using him. (hense the ?)

Almost the same here, bull had an actual birthweight of 100, we had only one calf over 80 lbs from him, average less than 75. They're also coming about a week early. Unfortunately he has a huge bw EPD and even though his calves are lighter than the average in the herd, the EPD is not dropping. One other bull has slightly larger calves but his EPD is lower, how do you figure that?

Chris H":lhykskm9 said:
S.R.R.":lhykskm9 said:

Almost the same here, bull had an actual birthweight of 100, we had only one calf over 80 lbs from him, average less than 75. They're also coming about a week early. Unfortunately he has a huge bw EPD and even though his calves are lighter than the average in the herd, the EPD is not dropping. One other bull has slightly larger calves but his EPD is lower, how do you figure that?

Maybe thats why EPD should be re-lettered to BS?

handydandy":1bkudw24 said:
Chris H":1bkudw24 said:
S.R.R.":1bkudw24 said:

Maybe thats why EPD should be re-lettered to BS?

Not quite. There are "Accuracy Values" that are associated with EPD's.

Using EPD's without using these accuracy numbers is meaningless.

A small live calf is always better than a big dead one. I prefer a small calf - 70 lbs or so - that looks like a little jackrabbit when its born, jumps up and starts sucking right away.

Look at genetics of a low BW in your breeding program with rapid growth and WW. Thats what you sell.

Our average BW this season was 66 lbs. The 205 day (adj)WW this year averaged 626 lbs.

Why give mom more potential problems with a 95-100 lb calf which will most likely not exceed the above WW and most often will not match it.

Big calves at birth can create problems.

preston39":6qzom0tb said:
Look at genetics of a low BW in your breeding program with rapid growth and WW. Thats what you sell.

Our average BW this season was 66 lbs. The 205 day (adj)WW this year averaged 626 lbs.

Why give mom more potential problems with a 95-100 lb calf which will most likely not exceed the above WW and most often will not match it.

Big calves at birth can create problems.

Good post I agree.

Latest posts