BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
There are 14 calves on the ground and there are 4 more cows to go. I was curious to run the numbers after the calf that was delivered yesterday.

Reina calved at dark. I got pictures this morning in the facility.

Reina is an Uno Mas cow.
Sire: Cowboy Cut
DOB: 10/06/2019
Gestation: 278 days
Heifer, 70 pounds.

Good set of EPDs. I am enrolled in THE so the calf is already registered in my herd book and I have the EPDs.

Here are the to-date herd numbers:
Gestation: Range 270 to 291. Average 278.8 days. That is 7 days below average for Simmentals. Simmental gestation is 285 days.

Weight: Range 50 to 108. Average 78.8. That is ten pounds below my farm average. A significant factor is the influence of the twins at 50 and 55 pounds. Take them out as an anomaly and the average is 83.2 pounds birthweight. Which is still below my farm average of 87.5 pounds.

Ratio of Bulls to Heifers. 7 to 7. 50 percent.

Average BW epd of sire's down from last year too? Mine were up this spring I'm pretty sure. Used a Canadian Red Angus bull and well Broadway's brother sired alot more than last year.

Till-Hill said:
Average BW epd of sire's down from last year too? Mine were up this spring I'm pretty sure. Used a Canadian Red Angus bull and well Broadway's brother sired alot more than last year.

Yes. They are down so no big surprise.
Broadway is one reason mine went down. I did not use him. He throws 100+ calves here.

Bright Raven said:
Till-Hill said:

Broadway is one reason mine went down. I did not use him. He throws 100+ calves here.

116# unassited heifer out of a SimAngus x Shorthorn

Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:
Till-Hill said:

116# unassited heifer out of a SimAngus x Shorthorn

I beat that last fall. 125# out of a SimAngus cow.

Weather? I seem to recall you had lush pastures in the spring. I'm weaning next Sunday but my calves definitely seem larger than the last few years. Same sires but at least twice the average precipitation and a ton of grass. That said, we also started off with deathly (literally) cold.

TCRanch said:
Weather? I seem to recall you had lush pastures in the spring. I'm weaning next Sunday but my calves definitely seem larger than the last few years. Same sires but at least twice the average precipitation and a ton of grass. That said, we also started off with deathly (literally) cold.

Definitely. Weather has been a factor. This has been a much drier summer. However, I think Till-Hill made a good guess. I have dropped some of those bulls that have those big birthweights, as an example, Broadway.

If its been dry through the last trimester, I can see it, but I wouldn't worry about it, if you have good hay.

snoopdog said:
If its been dry through the last trimester, I can see it, but I wouldn't worry about it, if you have good hay.

The last trimester was dry especially toward the last 6 weeks. I have good hay. I will be fine.

Bright Raven said:
There are 14 calves on the ground and there are 4 more cows to go.
A little confused.
I assume you mean 8 bulls 6 heifers? for a ratio of 4:3 in favor of bulls.
Heifer calf b.w. is typically a few pounds lighter than bull calves.

Son of Butch said:
Bright Raven said:
A little confused.

I have observed that you are great with numbers.

Of the 14 calves born. Seven were bulls and seven were heifers. A 7 to 7 ratio is more properly represented as 1:1.

You have to take the twins out of the equation - gestation length and BW. So, your lower average (right now) is not much of a difference. If you eliminate the twins, is your gestation length still considerably lower than Simm. of 285? From what others on this board has said, the extreme heat tends to make cows calve early. So, if your cows are calving earlier, your BW's will be lower. Mainly, I think you hit the main reason - less calves out of high BW SIRES.
New calf looks nice - yippee HEIFER!!
Waiting for my last fall cow to calve - due 10-22.

Bright Raven said:
Son of Butch said:
Bright Raven said:
A little confused.

Of the 14 calves born. Seven were bulls and seven were heifers. A 7 to 7 ratio is more properly represented as 1:1.
Then why didn't you say 1:1? lol :)
I misread your 7. 50 percent as 7.5% and 8 of 14 is 57.14% or 7.14% above the mid point.

Son of Butch said:
Bright Raven said:
Son of Butch said:
A little confused.

Then why didn't you say 1:1? lol :)
I misread your 7. 50 percent as 7.5% and 8 of 14 is 57.14% or 7.14% above the mid point.

Ahhh ha. Now I see what you were thinking. :cboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
You have to take the twins out of the equation - gestation length and BW. So, your lower average (right now) is not much of a difference. If you eliminate the twins, is your gestation length still considerably lower than Simm. of 285? From what others on this board has said, the extreme heat tends to make cows calve early. So, if your cows are calving earlier, your BW's will be lower. Mainly, I think you hit the main reason - less calves out of high BW SIRES.
New calf looks nice - yippee HEIFER!!
Waiting for my last fall cow to calve - due 10-22.

Taking the twins out of the equation raises the average gestation length to 280.

Latest posts