Buzzards/Close Call

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Close call this A.M. Lucky my Wife was watching this cow. The Buzzards were trying to get the Calf right as she was having him.Thanks to her and some #4 shot, this story had a happy ending!
MVC-019S.jpg

Caustic Burno":3qufkspv said:
Were they the black devils,or the old turkey buzzard.
CB, It was the first showing of the Black devils we've seen here. They were after the Cow, messing all over her, and trying to get the Calf as he emerged. Wife scored major points today. A big salute to her and Remington! I always check Cows before I head to work, and knew this one was only a few hours from Calving. Glad she kept her eyes on her.

Crowderfarms":2t64uqc8 said:
Caustic Burno":2t64uqc8 said:
Were they the black devils,or the old turkey buzzard.
CB, It was the first showing of the Black devils we've seen here. They were after the Cow, messing all over her, and trying to get the Calf as he emerged. Wife scored major points today. A big salute to her and Remington! I always check Cows before I head to work, and knew this one was only a few hours from Calving. Glad she kept her eyes on her.

You better keep a 22 mag handy these are vicous devils and attack as high as 25 or 30 birds at a time. You are fixin to get an education on what Texan and I have been fighting, you will be wishing for coyotes or dogs before this is over.

She said there were at least 30 of them.I've looked up info on them before, but nobody close by here has ever had a problem with them.First time for everything.

Not wishing you any bad luck but since I have several years experience with them you can keep yours and I will ship you mine, what is your prefered method UPS or Fedex will include two five gallon buckets of fire ants at no charge.

Caustic Burno":ntnuqmuc said:
Not wishing you any bad luck but since I have several years experience with them you can keep yours and I will ship you mine, what is your prefered method UPS or Fedex will include two five gallon buckets of fire ants at no charge.
Send em' to TCM 57.I'm on the warpath with those birds. Too many Cows left to Calve.I always miss all the fun on this place while I'm at work.Coyotes, Dogs, now Black Vultures.

How do the black vultures look differant from the regular turkey vultures. As far as I know we ain't got any of them here yet.

Bama":3li78ohi said:
How do the black vultures look differant from the regular turkey vultures. As far as I know we ain't got any of them here yet.

we call them Mexican Buzzards & they have white on 'em (wings).

We have more trouble with the ones with white tips on their wings. Don't know what they're called but they are more aggressive. I really don't notice them until about 2 weeks after deer season's over-no more easy meals. Try leaving a few in the field, works good, or so I'm told.

Thanks for the link and wing tip advice. I am seeing more buzzards now than I have in years past, I'll start paying attention to the wing tips.

We've lost at least a dozen to them so far. They pack up and wait for the cow to go down. Soon as she does that they peck out the eyes of the calf. They'll wait for the calf to go ahead and be born and for momma to eventually abandon it to finish the meal. Biggest problem I'm seeing in the calving herds to date.

Evidently, we've got a breeding area just over the hill from the house. Last spring, they were everywhere. They tried to attack the dogs, and a couple times even swooped down at my stepson. These were turkey buzzards, as yet haven't seen any of the black devils.

Called the game warden, and he said they were protected, but if they were endangering pets, livestock, or humans to kill as many as we could. He evn brought a box of shells out to the house.

P.S. Thats some purty babies, Crowder.

Wow, this is a new one on me, I thought these birds only ate things when they were dead. How horrible would that be to start eating on a newborn calf? Pick their eyes out--yuck!

GMN

Campground Cattle":1hwozl3c said:
They are terrible they will get the cow also.

Do you have to be on constant watch when calving starts? Will the mother protect her baby, or do they come in packs?

GMN

GMN":1o1xjdx4 said:
Campground Cattle":1o1xjdx4 said:

Do you have to be on constant watch when calving starts? Will the mother protect her baby, or do they come in packs?

GMN

You'll usually have about twenty or so come at one time. When the cow is fighting one bunch the others will sneak over and start pecking the calf.

The cow goes nuts because of sheer numbers and their ability to avoid her. They love placenta too.

GMN":3pjhoyf4 said:
Campground Cattle":3pjhoyf4 said:

GMN

If there is enough of them they will wear her down and get the calf if you're not around to help out. Been there.

fitz.