Buying vs retaining heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Another option if you are looking to add animals still is buy good older cows that are being culled for age and retain the best heifers from them. Typically around us you can find older cows that are very good just getting older. Most of the time they are proven producers and will give you some top shelf heifers to keep. The biggest things to remember are to evaluate the udders closely and remember that they are older so you don't want to keep them long term but you can often get a couple calves and cull them as the replacements come into the herd. Not necessarily the best option for everyone but a good option under the right conditions. Good luck whatever you decide and congrats on the new baby.

PS. Another option is to buy open heifers and breed them and keep the best ones and sell the bottom to generate income.

strihafarms":1podpqvr said:
Another option if you are looking to add animals still is buy good older cows that are being culled for age and retain the best heifers from them.
PS. Another option is to buy open heifers and breed them and keep the best ones and sell the bottom to generate income.

Good idea. There is one aggressive breeder here who turns any remaining cows at 6 years old. They sell for about $325 over bred heifer prices.

I like the cost averaging that raising heifers provides. You do not have to jump into the market all at once. I think sometimes we get in a hurry with cattle. My own Dad for the last 15 years or so has said he doesn't want to keep heifers because he doesn't know when he will get out of the business. So he only buys grown cows. Needless to say I have had several heifers and those heifers have had heifers and so on and so forth since he said he doesn't want them. I have not met a man yet that is int he business that doesn't stay around in some form once he is in.

Saying all that to say if you have a good deal on a whole herd go for it. It also doesn't hurt to ease your way into your max number of cows over 3 years. Not trying to scare you or anyone because I am adding to my herd as well but we could be imo buying into a downturn in the cow market. So the cattle we save or buy 3 years from now or even next year could be the ones that make the money for the ones we buy this year for a while. And in the long run 3 years flies buy in the cattle business.

Latest posts