Buying land for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I would buy it, and work on the home place as time and money was available, but have the other place working for you sooner than later.

Hold out for one that joins your grandfathers place. I understand wanting to paddle your on canoe, and buying something. Talk to them again about maybe a lifetime estate or something. Wouldn't hate for the nursing home to get it. I'd focus on getting pawpaws in my name.

Bigfoot":37igkxxp said:
Hold out for one that joins your grandfathers place. I understand wanting to paddle your on canoe, and buying something. Talk to them again about maybe a lifetime estate or something. Wouldn't hate for the nursing home to get it. I'd focus on getting pawpaws in my name.
Another good point of view. I certainly wouldn't spend a dollar on anything until I knew that place was yours, but you sound pretty sure that it is.

the only time land is a good investment is for the buyer.i know wheres theres 38ac for sale close to our place an they want $80,000 for it.but that aint happening as its only worth $40,000.but hey its their choice.

I have stated before about my grandfather was once a logger and after he logged lands he offered to buy the land as is once he was finished he purchased alot of land that way then just cleared it himself. I have only purchased for myself 2 tracts of land one in which I live on now the only reason I bought them is because the timber was mature enough to be harvested and as soon as I bought it I had the timber cut and it paid 70-80% of the cost of the land. I did not buy the land for cattle or expect them to pay for it.

Skyhigh,

How did you clean up all the slash on the land you had logged? I like the idea of logging a place and using the money to help pay for it but cleaning up the slash and making it usable again seems to be VERY pricey.

Kyle

tnwalkingred":2df90zz3 said:
Skyhigh,

How did you clean up all the slash on the land you had logged? I like the idea of logging a place and using the money to help pay for it but cleaning up the slash and making it usable again seems to be VERY pricey.

Kyle
Don't forget about the stumps. The only way I would ever log anything is if I could push the trees over and then let them cut the logs out. With the mess it leaves I can't see how the money from the logs is worth it.

tnwalkingred":btswznn9 said:
Skyhigh,

Kyle

Fortunately I own the equipment needed to clear land and what I didn't have my grandpa did that being said had I not had the equipment I would have bought it then sold it when I was done. To me that is themost cost effective way to clear a lot of land IMO.

tnwalkingred":24my0ybr said:
Skyhigh,

What type of equipment did you use? Trackhoe, bulldozer, backhoe?

Kyle

Backhoe and Dozer/loader - I used the backhoe on gum trees those things are a SOB to get out the ground if they have any size to them.

All,

We'll I've been doing ALOT of thinking about what to do in order to gain more cattle pasture. My father spent the day with me on Saturday to work a few calves and he strongly urged me to keep my cattle close to home where I could keep a close eye on them. Seeing how any decent pasture is going for at least 5k a an acre around here I feel like it may be best to try and improve the family farm I'm set to inherit from my grandfather. He has stated that it's already in writing that I get it and has told me I can get copy if it will make me feel better. I think it means a lot to my grandparents for the farm to stay in production and I'm the only one in the family interested in farming. He has also offered to loan me any money needed for farm improvements at zero percent interest if I can pay it back at 1000 dollars a month. This will be easy to do so improving the farm is becoming a more viable option.

With that said I'm back to square one in trying to figure out how to open up and fence more acreage. Do I pay someone to clear it and then fence it myself? Do I buy a piece if equipment and clear it myself? If I buy a piece of equipment what do I buy? I do already have two tractors both with FEL and one of them is 4wd. I also have other implements such as bush hogs, seed spreaders, plows, and discs.

First thing I would do is buy a track loader and clear the perimeter and build a good fence around the whole outside. Then work on cross fencing, clearing and seeding as you can, but starting out you would be completely fenced and could be running some cattle on the whole place.

Denver,

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. I'm trying to post a lot about this topic because I know there are many people out there who have the exact same issues as I do and if we can help make just one of there experienced easier it will be a good thing. My girlfriend stays on my a$$ about overthinking things too much but I always want to be prepared and TRY to make the best decision possible. I'm giving myself one more month to think before I pull the trigger on something. I want two good months to work before hay season gets here!

Kyle

I think about stuff alot to, it to serious to make a bad move.

When I look at something like what you have the first priority is to get that perimeter fenced. Then even if it's not all in grass you can be using it. If it was mine I would get it fenced as quick as I could and get some longhorns on it. They'll work ok with less than ideal pasture and make you some money, then keep working on it, when you get it all cleaned up sell the longhorns and buy some black cows.

I wonder all the time if I am over thinking things. No seriously, I think you are doing the right thing. I would see if I couldn't grandpa to go ahead, and get it in my name. Give him a lifetime estate. Nursing homes just love to take in people with assets.

I've been involved in a lot of land clearing and I've seen it done many ways. I've seen people purchase the clearing equipment and come out cheap and I've seen them purchase the equipment only to end up spending more money doing it themselves than they could have hire it done. I've seen people peck around and clear little pieces of land only to have it grow back up before they ever finish. Owning a piece of equipment does you absolutely no good if it sits idle. Equipment needs to be run constantly to make it worth your while in owning it. A good operator that is in the business usually do the job a lot cheaper than you can do it yourself unless you have the time or the help to keep the equipment going six days a week.

I'm opposed to buying the equipment. You get a used piece of equipment like a D6 dozer and something goes out you are screwed. Also, selling used equipment isn't as easy as some make it sound.

Selling equipment isn't hard if you buy it right, you also buy it planning on a 10k repair bill and if that never comes you are just doing that much better.

midtncattle":12ncpz89 said:
I'm opposed to buying the equipment. You get a used piece of equipment like a D6 dozer and something goes out you are screwed. Also, selling used equipment isn't as easy as some make it sound.

if you buy the equipment lets say 30k when he has 100 acres that needs clearing and is gonna cost him 1k per acre 100k-30k is 70k even if he did mess the equipment up lets say had to put 5k into it hes still saved 65k. lets say worst case scenario sells it for 20k he is still ahead of the game. Here personally I have a auction house where I sell equipment at and if you wait for a private sell without exposure to a larger market you may be keeping it for a while. I bought a jd 1050j dozer to help clear 300 acres and sold it no problem after that through an auction house and had minimal loss as compared to what I made. While everyones circumstances are different I truly feel he has a great chance of saving himself a lot of $.

The other benefit of owning is also the work besides clearing that pops up. roads, ponds, building pads, more clearing at the next place. I'm not saying it's all fun owning equipment, but at times like this it can be the best way to go.

Latest posts