Buying Johnson grass seed

Help Support CattleToday:

I just did a google search and quite a few vendors came up. I personally like Johnson grass also.

It will grow under very adverse conditions and gives us good hay yields on this dry hot years.

The cows love it. It's the first thing they go for when we graze the hay fields late in the year. I know there is some dangers with it but I think a little common sense and you will be fine.

The only native grass I prefer over Johnson grass is Indian grass. It also yields great during harsh weather and also will dry down quick when making hay. With seed $14/lb I doubt I'll be buying any though.

Find somebody that got some leftover fall hay....usually it will have mature Jgrass seed in it....feed it where you want it to grow.

Banjo said:
Find somebody that got some leftover fall hay....usually it will have mature Jgrass seed in it....feed it where you want it to grow.

This is my current approach, but it's spreading too slow.

Hootowl said:
Bigfoot said:
Very few places listed online to buy seed. Anybody got a supplier?

Hard to find them because it's illegal to plant it in many states.
Just looked, it is not allowed in KY.

When Johnson grass is outlawed, only outlaws will have Johnson grass

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hootowl said:
Bigfoot said:
Very few places listed online to buy seed. Anybody got a supplier?

Kenny is right about that. Why would you want to plant it BF?

A thick stand is hard to beat. Cut before the stem gets hard, perennial in nature, responds to low amounts of N. I have plenty, just not enough.

Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hootowl said:

A thick stand is hard to beat. Cut before the stem gets hard, perennial in nature, responds to low amounts of N. I have plenty, just not enough.

My father in law hated the stuff. I don't worry much about it but I'm not sure I'd want more than we already have.

You might try taking a chisel plow or subsoiler thru it and tearing the rhizomes. back in the day when we planted corn ...when we we tilled especially chisel plowed....working the ground just made it explode seems like.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

My father in law hated the stuff. I don't worry much about it but I'm not sure I'd want more than we already have.

I don't want it here there and everywhere, although I have that now. I want it concentrated in one field. I quit sudex, because it eats you out of house and home in N. Probably gonna quit SS after this year. I don't even mind grazing it, but you gotta be careful. You'll never graze it into extinction. I've got several patches in my yard. Been mowed every week for 25 years, and still with us.

Pretty sure they have Johnson grass seed listed at the feed store Bigfoot. I will check prices if you want me to. I don't know about getting it shipped to you. You can graze johnson gras into extinction. About the only way to kill it out.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Pretty sure they have Johnson grass seed listed at the feed store Bigfoot. I will check prices if you want me to. I don't know about getting it shipped to you. You can graze johnson gras into extinction. About the only way to kill it out.

Please check on the price. I don't think it can be shipped.

It's easy enough to buy online

https://mbsseed.com/johnsongrass-50-lb-bag.html

Fwiw.. Johnson grass stalks dry faster than SS
To . Once you get it established both letting it go to seed and a good late winter disc will thicken it.

Bigfoot said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Please check on the price. I don't think it can be shipped.

It might be a few days before i am back to town. I am sure shipping could be worked out. Just need packaged a little different.

Caustic Burno said:
WGF Sorghum is pretty easy to find makes great forage and hay.
Both are sorghum.

https://hancockseed.com/products/wgf-sorghum-seed

We raised a lot of milo when I was a kid. Always fed the stalks after combining. Never occurred to me to raise it for hay.

Try Turner seed in Breckenridge. About a buck fifty a lb. I have a field with scattered Johnson grass and I planted some Sorghum Almum this year to thicken it up.

Its good summer grazing that just needs to be managed if you don't get much moisture. Seed is cheap and easily established. Needs to seed out as mentioned but Johnson grass seeds out all year. We'll see how the almum does. I plan on shredding mine in the fall and no till drilling oats into the stalks.

This is a new one.

Why in the h.ll would anyone knowingly plant Johnson grass? We have tons of it here and I would do anything to be rid of it all.

This stuff is the absolute worst! Maybe it's better than thistles and ironweed, if I want to put a positive slant on things.

Latest posts