Buying ferilizer cheaper.........

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Ok... I recently found that much like most seasonal items in any store, fertilizer can and does get marked down for clearance...and it sure doesn't hurt to ask...especially those large building supply stores such as Home Depot, and Lowes, etc...especially it getting close to their financial year end, and also cus they usually have mismatched piles of fertilzers and other bagged 'pasture' and grass enhancements........

Six out out of the eight times I asked, I was offered killer deals if I was willing to take most or all of the remaining stock.......

On the way back from a 300 mile trip recently, I stopped at Tractor Supply and saw the pile being marked down by 25%, asked what they would do if I took it all, and after a call to the head office, I drove home with 5 tons of triple 13 and 1 ton of gypsum for less then $125.00!

So.. as winter encroaches, and stores need to close out seasonals,,,,maybe time to look for next years fertilizers at a deal! Alos might not hurt to mention that you are in facvt a tried and true farmer, just looking to stay alive.....:cboy: but hey....No one come around northeastern TN or western NC and steal my deals! ....lol :lol:

Ok, i went to 2 lowes and tsc ,they said they never lower prices on seed or fer. the comp. comes and gets the outdated stuff and takes it back. Where are you getting this at Im in KY. ?

One of my neighbors always prepays for his fertilizer this time of the year for spring delivery. Saves $$ and he can use it for this years write off. Triple 19 is $500/T. He wanted to lock it in. No dice. No one will take his money unless he takes delivery now. They are sure the price will be higher in the spring. He uses around 30-40 Ton with their spreader and no on farm storage.

I get a little bit occasionally. Always seems to be busted bags or odd material. I found a ton of lawn fertilizer 21-9-15 or something like that with crab grass & broadleaf preveenter and a type of 24d. The price is 20 per bag and they marked it to 10 but thats too much.
I pay about 20 cents on the dollar. If you cant get it for that walk away.
Im going to try wood ashes for the potassium and phosphorous and lime. I ve got to get a spreader to handle the material.

Just my 2 cents

Im going to try wood ashes for the potassium and phosphorous and lime. I ve got to get a spreader to handle the material. [/quote said:
I use wood ash. Study all the information you can find for wood ash use.

I suggest you use wood ash for replacement of lime only and let the P&K be the goodies on the side. Ash will vary. What we use here is about 6%K. Very little nitrogen but enough to make a quick green up and a spurt of growth.P is a little less than 3%. Take soil samples before applying and again each year to see how your soil reacts to ash. I just finished today taking soil samples on 110 acres. I do that annually on all fields that have ash applied. What I've put on so far would have cost me $9,000 in lime spread by a supplier. Ash and freight here is free.

They do charge by the ton outside the area of about 30 miles.

If you have ph below 6 you need to find a spreader that can put down 6 plus tons per acre so you can spread one time over the fields. I tried it with a Chandler fertilizer spreader and would have had to go over the same ground 4 times to get enough ash down. It takes (general) 2.5 tons of wood ash to equal 1 ton of lime. What I spread with now can put down up to 20 tons per acre of needed. I've never gone more than 6.5 tons.

Again, don't use wood ash for fertilizer. If you get the ph to high it'll lock the soil up.

That's my 2 cents worth too :)

Thanks
The mill specializes in oak and most of it travels many miles to get here. Its typically older and larger used for flooring and furniture.
The P & K seems to be a tad higher. As you said its only an added benefit.
The lime equivalent is less than 50% with some variation seems to be a high tech boiler.

Your "K" will be alot higher this year. Seams that the mines in Russia are flooded. We use K -Mag from mines at Carlsbad NM.

Latest posts